Visit site
Supported devices:
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPhone 4

Supported firmware:
  • iOS 5.0.1

Supported basebands (modem firmwares):
(How do I check my baseband?)

NEWS: As of Monday December 19 2011 ultrasn0w has received an update to support iOS 5.0.1. Therefore the tutorial below is obsolete. Happy unlocking!

STEPS:

1) Create a custom firmware that preserves the baseband with your favorite tool.
1.1) Windows users who are new to the jailbreaking scene could follow section A of ovidiu1305's tutorial.
2) Restore the phone using the custom firmware (Shift + Restore on Windows, Option + Restore on Mac)
3) Activate (or hacktivate) the iPhone and empty the SIM tray.
4) Download iFunBox for Windows, or iExplorer for Mac.
4.1) Mac users should install the following apps via Cydia:
  • Hack&Dev Team Source (the repository containing iCommander; do not be alarmed if it throws a KEYEXPIRED error, you'll still be able to get iCommander)
  • iCommander (our desired app)
5.1) iPhone 3GS owners should download this archive from here or here.
5.2) iPhone 4 owners should download this archive from here or here.
5.3) Extract the file(s) from the archive you've just obtained.
5.3.1) Mac users who have trouble handling .rar files should get an app such as RAR Explander.
6) Open iFunBox (or iExplorer) and gain access to the raw file system of the phone.
7) Navigate to the following directory:

Code:
System / Library / Frameworks / CoreTelephony.framework / Support /

8.1) iPhone 3GS owners should delete the file named CommCenterClassic and replace it with the one found in the archive from step 5.
8.2) iPhone 4 owners should delete the files named CommCenter and CommCenterClassic and replace them with the ones found in the archive from step 5.
9.1) Windows users should right-click the file(s) they have just added and set permissions to 0755.
9.2) Mac users should launch iCommander on their iPhone, navigate to the directory where the new file(s) are located, open the file(s) by tapping the blue arrow and set permissions to 0755.

The permissions in iFunBox should look like this:

Code:
Owner: R = Yes W = Yes X = Yes
Group: R = Yes W= No X = Yes
Others: R = Yes W = No X = Yes

The permissions in iCommander should look like this:

Code:
 -rwxr-xr-x

10) Fire up Cydia and install ultrasn0w 1.2.4.
11) Power down the phone, insert the SIM card, boot up.
12) Enjoy your unlock on 5.0.1! :)

12.1) If you're running Windows and you haven't already, I strongly recommend getting iFaith v1.4 and saving your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs, so you can always restore to 5.0.1, even when Apple stops signing it.
12.2) Mac users who got the KEYEXPIRED error can now safely remove the Hack&Dev Team Source repo (from the Packages section in Cydia) otherwise the error will pop up every time Cydia refreshes. You can also remove iCommander.

PS: If anyone provides links to tutorials for the actions taken in steps one and two, I'll be happy to integrate them into this post.

Last edited:

jdcorbitt3

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do I rename the iPhone3gs.rar file to CommCenterClassic.rar?
I can't seem to find out how to set permissions

i have a MacBook osX with iPhone3GS using iExplorer

Thank you,

John

Last edited:

jdcorbitt3

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
OK
This phone is truly bricked. I renamed the file CommCenterClassic.rar and it just keeps cycling the apple logo, powering down and comming back to the apple logo. i have tried reinstalling the cusyom ipsw with my 6.15 baseband and doing a tethered boot with redsn0w 0.9.9b8. it comes up with unrecognized build.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
oh god, i wish I had this 24 hours ago when I was banging my head against the wall. Looks like I can update again. So long, and goodbye iOS 4.1!

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the misunderstanding! You are supposed to extract the contents of the archive (I did that because iPhone 4 owners need to replace 2 files instead of one).

8.1) iPhone 3GS owners should delete the file named CommCenterClassic and replace it with the one found in the archive from step 5.

Edit: OK! I've just added steps 5.3 and 5.3.1 to the tutorial!

Last edited:

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to find out how to set permissions

i have a MacBook osX with iPhone3GS using iExplorer

John

I'm sorry, John. I don't have a Mac so I couldn't really test the app. I have now added steps 4.1 and 9.2 for Mac users.

As to your iPhone: if it's still in a booting loop, try accessing the file system, delete the archive you've placed and put the correct file in its place (see my previous post).

Generally speaking iFunBox is more powerful than iExplorer, so if you have VMware, Parallels or BootCamp on your Mac, I strongly recommend sharing the USB port that's connected to the iPhone and using iFunBox.

Last edited:

jdcorbitt3

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will try to do it with my windows pc. I also tried to restore using iTunes which I think is a bad thing since I have baseband 6.15 installed. Keep up the good work. I have 6 iPhones in my family and this is the first one I have bricked. I think I was getting a little too comfortable and was going to files experts only should go to.

John

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
NEWS: As of Monday December 19 2011 ultrasn0w has received an update to support iOS 5.0.1. Therefore the tutorial is obsolete. Happy unlocking!

klokhanin3gs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i fixed it

OK
This phone is truly bricked. I renamed the file CommCenterClassic.rar and it just keeps cycling the apple logo, powering down and comming back to the apple logo. i have tried reinstalling the cusyom ipsw with my 6.15 baseband and doing a tethered boot with redsn0w 0.9.9b8. it comes up with unrecognized build.

i dont know if it helps u or not nut at one point i had same situation with the same phone and features. i got ifaith and throught the ireb installed custom firmware with preserved baseband or iPad baseband 06.15.00 through itunes. then do the steps above. and instal Open SSH on your idevice. good luck

klokhanin3gs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
thanks a lot

Thanks a lot. My phone was in locked mode for 3 month and just now i am able to use thanks to u. Also if someone has a problem with not letting change the permission then download it to your IDevice and launch it in ifunbox and the n u can put it to 0755

jdcorbitt3

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Unbricked using redsn0w b9 update. I think I am going to wait to unlock until a simple unlock is available. Keep up the good work.

John

Fofer

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I am going to wait to unlock until a simple unlock is available. Keep up the good work.

Why not just use "Fix for Ultrasn0w?"

I've read mention that it's available in two repos:
cydia.iloveidevice.tk
cydia.myrepospace.com/smolk

There's one for the iPhone 4 and one for the 3GS.

This seems to be a lot easier than any of the other methods/fixes I've been reading about, to get Ultrasn0w working on iOS 5.0.1.

Note that it still only unlocks the same previously-unlockable basebands... nothing newer. If you updated your baseband when you installed iOS 5... then Ultrasn0w won't unlock for you. At least with an iPhone 4, you need to still have the original 01.59.00 baseband. And for the 3G/3GS, you'd need 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, or 06.15.00.

NEWS: As of Monday December 19 2011 ultrasn0w has receved an update to support iOS 5.0.1. Therefore the tutorial is obsolete. Happy unlocking!

Clarification: Some believe the update to Ultrasn0w (to version 1.2.5) will actually be out NEXT Monday. The release notes for redsn0w 0.9.9b9b weren't clear on this. (I'd post a link to sites that mention next Monday... but the forum won't let me, as I am a new poster.)

That will take care of all the issues, and won't even need "Ultrasn0w Fixer" any longer.

Last edited:

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use "Fix for Ultrasn0w?"

I've read mention that it's available in two repos:
cydia.iloveidevice.tk
cydia.myrepospace.com/smolk

There's one for the iPhone 4 and one for the 3GS.

I tried this fix, but one of the repos was dead and the files I got from the other didn't fix ultrasn0w. So far the method I've posted in the tutorial is the only one that worked for me.

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
NEWS: As of Monday December 19 2011 ultrasn0w has received an update to support iOS 5.0.1. Therefore the tutorial is obsolete. Happy unlocking!

Is it still obsolete for iPhone 3GS in searching/rebooting loop?

I've fixed another 3GS by re-flashing iPad baseband & restoring to custom firmware but this one is giving troubles. This iPhone 3GS is new bootroom & it's a week 134 in 3rd, 4th & 5th digits of serial number. It's a friends iPhone that I believe the baseband is bricked & the only chance to save it is the process which deleted/replaces the commcenter files but this say's it's obsolete.

Any advice?

I've fixed every iPhone problem from jailbreaking, restoring, downgrading & unlocking but this iPhone 3GS searching/rebooting has me stumped!

Thx, in advance!

BTW it's an iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.0.1 & I "THINK" iPad baseban but not sure cuz last time I seen the settings it was blank beside "modem firmware" it had nothing there. I've never seen that before, anyone else?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods