How to sign up for Threads - the new social media app on the block

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you bother to look at Thread’s privacy agreement? It is one of the most invasive I have seen. There is no way I would put this app on any of my equipment.

The hatred for Elon Musk seems to outweigh any desire to warn members and visitors of the insane amount of personal data provided to Meta if they use the Thread service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annie_M

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I went through and read the app’s privacy policy and it is SCARY. The amount of data collected (surrendered to them) is astounding! There is no way in hell I would ever go near this app or even click on anything from Meta. You don’t have to have an account for them to grab any info they want.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I went through and read the app’s privacy policy and it is SCARY. The amount of data collected (surrendered to them) is astounding! There is no way in hell I would ever go near this app or even click on anything from Meta. You don’t have to have an account for them to grab any info they want.

Indeed, and yet the tech community in general appears to promote the service despite having knowledge of the amount of data that’s surrendered to Meta all in the name of getting rid of Elon Musk. At least that’s how I see it.

Reactions: Annie_M

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The hatred for Elon Musk seems to outweigh any desire to warn members and visitors of the insane amount of personal data provided to Meta if they use the Thread service.

I believe most of those users signing up are already instagram users. So they have already compromised thier data/privacy and served it to zuck on a silver platter.

Having said that the list of data Instagram/thread users are letting Facebook harvest is simply ridiculous.

29fb4ee4c39a81a64728b4705be43da9.png

I guess Facebook needed a perceived win after apple killed the metaverse.

7f4f741c050404e17298bdf3b054d24c.png

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Sadly, I have both Facebook and Instagram account, mainly because of old.school friends, family, and new little ones being born. But I will not participate in Meta’s other endeavor!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I read on a different site that Threads hits 100 million users in 5 days. With that being said, if Meta is automatically converting its existing users over to thread as the article implies then the alleged “…100 million users in 5 days” headline is a false representation.

I’ve yet to see a headline similar to “Stay Away From Threads if you Value Your Privacy”…. ;)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm definitely not advocating for either X or Threads, but I really don't think that TikTok is the same sort of "animal". To me, TikTok seems similar to Instagram or YouTube. Just my $.02!

Reactions: FFR

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you still need an Instagram account to have a threads account?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77