How to setup iPad for mom

cae758

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I took advantage of Amazon's sweet $100 off deal on the current iPad 6th generation 32gb to give to her for Christmas. She had a stroke a couple of years ago and is bed bound. I purchased the iPad to make video chatting with her much easier, as I live in Boston and her in NY. The iPad will make her independant from my sister and laptop.

My question is should I setup the iPad with my account or create a unique account for her? She really doesn't do anything, not have any fingerprint on the internet aside for a work email account, which since she is retired most probably is now defunct. And a personal email related to bills and such.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd want my own account, but in her case, it may be better to just give her the iPad logged in as me. I guess I am also concerned with her messing up my settings or somehow locking me out of my account.

I am also unaware if there is like a remote desktop for iPad I haven't found that is also hack (or less hack) proof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I would make an account for her, IF she does not have an email to use, I would just create one for that purpose, using the free email of choice (gmail in my case). I would do ALL the heavy lifting, setting up the email, the AppleID, verifying it, and then be able to hand her it working. I would also write down the AppleID and password for her. I would also probably NOT setup a 4 or 6 digit passcode, BUT if I did I would use 4 and make it simple for her.

I have a 75 year old mother so I completely understand. ;)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Agreed! That’s what I did for my Mother In-law. I did keep track of all of her login information and Passwords because she never could!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Definitely set up her own Apple ID and email. She should be given an iCloud email for her ID. But a second email (like Gmail) can be used as a recovery email with her account. Make everything simple and have it all set up for her.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW