How to prevent incoming calls from interrupting video recording

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
How is one supposed to go about keeping the phone from interrupting a video recording if an incoming call comes in?

Here are a couple of sites which say one can keep the screen from being commandeered by an incoming call using the Do Not Disturb feature.

https://m.wikihow.com/Block-All-Incoming-Calls-on-iPhone-or-iPad
https://www.iphonesavvy.com/tips/ho...4VEX7tnLr64_MAOPhLwURLklCjGvl-tQJl2b10dVU_Xso

1) Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb > toggle the switch on
2) Go to Settings > Do Not Disburb > Allow Calls From > selected No One

I followed the instructions at each of those sites and my screen is still commandeered by an incoming call. Are these sites accurate? If so, then my phone clearly isn't working as it should. If the sites are inaccurate, then how does one go about preventing an incoming call from interrupting a video recording?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I followed the instructions at each of those sites and my screen is still commandeered by an incoming call. Are these sites accurate? If so, then my phone clearly isn't working as it should. If the sites are inaccurate, then how does one go about preventing an incoming call from interrupting a video recording?

We can't speak as to whether or not information on other sites is correct. Since you have tested them, and they don't seem to work, then I'd say the information is inaccurate. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you either. Hopefully, someone who has more experience in this area will come along and help you figure this out.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you have “Always” selected and “Repeated Calls” off? If you don’t have “Always” selected then it will only silence the calls when your phone is locked.
Adjustments.JPG

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Do you have “Always” selected and “Repeated Calls” off? If you don’t have “Always” selected then it will only silence the calls when your phone is locked.
View attachment 127113
"Always" vs. "While iPhone is Locked" is under 'SILENCE'. That's not what this thread is about.

Repeated Calls says 'A second call from the same person within three minutes will not be silenced'. Again, this pertains to whether or not the phone makes a sound.

But 'Allow Calls From' if set to 'No One', it says 'When in Do Not Disturb, allow incoming calls from no one.'

So I turn on Do Not Disturb, set Allow Calls From to 'No One' and call the phone from another phone and the incoming call commandeers the screen, halting the video process.

Please try that on your phone and see if the incoming call displays.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
"Always" vs. "While iPhone is Locked" is under 'SILENCE'. That's not what this thread is about.

Repeated Calls says 'A second call from the same person within three minutes will not be silenced'. Again, this pertains to whether or not the phone makes a sound.

But 'Allow Calls From' if set to 'No One', it says 'When in Do Not Disturb, allow incoming calls from no one.'

So I turn on Do Not Disturb, set Allow Calls From to 'No One' and call the phone from another phone and the incoming call commandeers the screen, halting the video process.

Please try that on your phone and see if the incoming call displays.

Wow, kind of a harsh response when someone is trying to help out/give you ideas. The best way to find out if it works or not is for YOU to try it.

But, FTR, yes, I tested it out three times with my daughter’s help and her calls were sent straight to voicemail and did not take over the screen. I did not get the notifications until after I locked the phone and then unlocked it.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Also, DND does not halt calls it just stops them from interrupting when you have it on. The call just gets sent to voicemail. eta: If you don’t have “Always” selected then the call will come through when the phone is unlocked.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
@TGB77 - I realize that frustration can cause impatience. However, please remember that we are all volunteers here, doing our best to help each other figure out issues that we are having.

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Wow, kind of a harsh response when someone is trying to help out/give you ideas. The best way to find out if it works or not is for YOU to try it.

But, FTR, yes, I tested it out three times with my daughter’s help and her calls were sent straight to voicemail and did not take over the screen. I did not get the notifications until after I locked the phone and then unlocked it.
So you had 'Do Not Disturb' in the on position and selected 'Allow Calls From No One', called the phone and the call did not commandeer the screen, nor did it even let you know in any way at the time of the call that a call was coming in. Correct? If so, then your phone and my phone are functioning differently. This is very bizarre.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
So you had 'Do Not Disturb' in the on position and selected 'Allow Calls From No One', called the phone and the call did not commandeer the screen, nor did it even let you know in any way at the time of the call that a call was coming in. Correct? If so, then your phone and my phone are functioning differently. This is very bizarre.

I also had “Always” on. That’s the key. You are taking the word ‘silence’ literally. If you don’t select “Always” then when your phone is unlocked it will let the call through. Otherwise, yes. No phone takeover and no notifications when set up this way:
IMG_9971.JPG
Why not give it a try? We did three videos and no interruptions.

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
I also had “Always” on. That’s the key. You are taking the word ‘silence’ literally. If you don’t select “Always” then when your phone is unlocked it will let the call through. Otherwise, yes. No phone takeover and no notifications when set up this way:
View attachment 127119
Why not give it a try? We did three videos and no interruptions.
I had 'Always' selected, 'Do Not Disturb' in the on position and 'Allow Calls From' set to 'No One' and the calls went through, commandeering my screen and halting videos. Does this mean something is wrong with my phone?

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I had 'Always' selected, 'Do Not Disturb' in the on position and 'Allow Calls From' set to 'No One' and the calls went through, commandeering my screen and halting videos. Does this mean something is wrong with my phone?

Are you using the same phone to call/test? Do you maybe have that person on Emergency Bypass?

https://www.imore.com/how-receive-messages-specific-contacts-do-not-disturb-mode

I can’t say if there is or isn’t anything wrong with your phone. Sometimes there are weird glitches. It did work for me though, specifically using the video feature. I also use it set up this way when I’m watching something on my iPad and don’t want to be interrupted.

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
I double checked.
'Do Not Disturb' > On
SILENCE > Always
Allow Calls From > No One

Called my phone while recording a video > the video recording process halted.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I double checked.
'Do Not Disturb' > On
SILENCE > Always
Allow Calls From > No One

Called my phone while recording a video > the video recording process halted.

With what app are you making the video calls?
Apart from FaceTime video calls, all other video calls will be halted if someone calls you.

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Gotcha. Apparently I misread.
Nuclear option is to put the phone in flight mode, then.

"Nuclear option" Well put.
Yep, that's what I'll be doing from here on out. Airplane Mode.
There doesn't seem to be a consensus on how 'Do Not Disturb' is supposed to work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro