How to move from XS with IOS13.1 to the new iPhone 11 Pro?

Tafsern

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

Might be dumb question, might have been answered before. Hell, I might be dumb..who knows.

I've got an iPhone XS with IOS13.1 beta on it, and I am thinking about selling it and going for the iPhone 11 Pro. Is this the right way to do it?

1. Get the iPhone 11 Pro

2. Backup my XS with iTunes

3. Install IOS13.1 beta on the 11 Pro

4. Install backup on the 11 Pro

5. Downgrade my XS to IOS12 or 13 (no beta)

6. Sell my XS

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Sounds about right to me. I'm in the same boat except I get to skip steps 5 & 6 cause we did the trade in. So they're just getting sent back to Apple and I'm pretty sure they're capable of putting a release OS on them before refurbishing and sending them wherever.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
This will work assuming Apple releases the profile for the latest beta, which they haven't done yet. But I assume they will on Friday, hopefully.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
This will work assuming Apple releases the profile for the latest beta, which they haven't done yet. But I assume they will on Friday, hopefully.

Guess I'm not understanding why the one that's out wouldn't work since it already let us go from 13.0 beta X to 13.1 betas? Or are you saying the one that's out might not support iPhone 11 series phones yet?

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Guess I'm not understanding why the one that's out wouldn't work since it already let us go from 13.0 beta X to 13.1 betas? Or are you saying the one that's out might not support iPhone 11 series phones yet?

Correct, the beta doesn’t support the iPhone 11 yet. Apple will probably add it on Friday, but as of now it doesn’t support the new phones.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Correct, the beta doesn’t support the iPhone 11 yet. Apple will probably add it on Friday, but as of now it doesn’t support the new phones.

Wow, yeah they definitely need to do that or that's going to be a real problem since I'm assuming you wouldn't even be able to restore iCloud backups made from a 13.1 device to a 13.0 device. Don't really want to lose years of health data etc by doing a "set up as new" and not being able to restore anything. Leaving out of country on vacation next Wednesday too so need to have the new phone up and running by then. Old ones have to be sent in for the trade in option and only have two weeks to do that and we'll be gone for three weeks.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Is it possible to restore a 12.4 local backup to either the current 12.4.x or to 13 when it is released (i.e. new phones)? I saw something in another thread saying you could restore an older iCloud backup to a newer OS build, just wondering if that would work with local backups. I.e. I could roll my X back to the current 12.4.x release, and restore the pre-beta backup to it?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Ohhh, I just realized, I might actually have a 13.0 backup. I built a new PC at the beginning of August and would have synced it and done a backup (I think) but would not have done one recently. I double checked the release date of 13.1 beta and yeah I'm pretty sure I haven't done a backup since the end of August. So I would potentially lose a bit of stuff, but I wouldn't be completely toast. Of course this would be assuming Apple doesn't release a beta profile for the 11's. It's definitely going to be ideal if they do so though.

edit: Uh woops, well, looks like while I did sync and authorize the new PC etc. I didn't do a backup :( So yeah my options are going to be restore to 12.x and restore that or restore the 12.x backup to 13 if possible assuming the 11's aren't added to the beta Friday or very soon after.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2