How to move from AT&T to T-Mobile with an iPhone 7 without losing, texts, files, etc...

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Asking for my sister who wants to be added to my T-Mobile plan. She's month to month at AT@T. If her phone is still locked to AT&T, I know how to get it unlocked thru AT&T.

But I know nothing about the iPhone universe and she hasn't switched carriers in a long time if ever.

Could it be as simple as porting the number and installing a T-Mobile sim?

If not, she is most worried about retaining her text history. What needs to be done for that (if anything)?

Will she need to do anything extra to keep her contacts?

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Asking for my sister who wants to be added to my T-Mobile plan. She's month to month at AT@T. If her phone is still locked to AT&T, I know how to get it unlocked thru AT&T.

But I know nothing about the iPhone universe and she hasn't switched carriers in a long time if ever.

If not, she is most worried about retaining her text history. What needs to be done for that (if anything)?

If the phone is unlocked all she will need to do is port number and put sim in. Don’t have to lose anything.

Also have her back everything up on iCloud and even when she gets a new phone it’ll all transfer over.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
@parker5011 is spot on.

PS: I am always amazed at those that want to keep history of text messages. I always feel those are things not worth keeping. Merely my opinion.

I haven’t deleted my messages since 2015 because I find info that I need without jumping through hoops. The search feature in the Messages app is a godsend. It’s like needing to find info from an email that I know a certain person gave me x number of years ago. It’s just there.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Ah, touche'. I hadn't considered the search feature. Plus, in the past I have often switched devices and OS'. Thus another reason why I never really worried about text/iMessage messages...

I haven’t deleted my messages since 2015 because I find info that I need without jumping through hoops. The search feature in the Messages app is a godsend. It’s like needing to find info from an email that I know a certain person gave me x number of years ago. It’s just there.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Totally agree!!! I search in messages pretty often. It’s so convenient & since space isn’t an issue, there’s no need to delete texts.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
You know, I might just start keeping text/iMessage, just to see how it goes. After all, I do have device space.
I have never really put much trust/need in text/iMessage. Always seen it as a 'thing', compared to Email. Now, those I keep :rotfl:

Totally agree!!! I search in messages pretty often. It’s so convenient & since space isn’t an issue, there’s no need to delete texts.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You know, I might just start keeping text/iMessage, just to see how it goes. After all, I do have device space.
I have never really put much trust/need in text/iMessage. Always seen it as a 'thing', compared to Email. Now, those I keep :rotfl:

You definitely should try it. It’s very convenient.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Spot on about porting the number and installing a sim.

Nope, I don't keep text messages. Personal option.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
@parker5011 is spot on.

PS: I am always amazed at those that want to keep history of text messages. I always feel those are things not worth keeping. Merely my opinion.

I keep mine forever

Case in point my cousin died a few months back and we use to text daily between us and I now have his memories to go back too.

Lots of pics and conversations

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
@parker5011 is spot on.

Are you kidding?!? Do you realize how many people lose their case on Judge Judy because they can't produce relevant texts from months or years ago? LoL

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Now the iPhone can easily be put side to side with your old and new device and it will mirror the two devices in case of not having a back up or your stuck with an old back up and there might not be real time transfer of your old device

It comes in handy when you have 100 GBs to back up and have to pay 2.99 month just to have the iCloud space

HoosierDaddy

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Now the iPhone can easily be put side to side with your old and new device and it will mirror the two devices in case of not having a back up or your stuck with an old back up and there might not be real time transfer of your old device

It comes in handy when you have 100 GBs to back up and have to pay 2.99 month just to have the iCloud space
Thanks, but no new device involved. She just wants to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73