How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon AND Get a Subsidized Phone if You Have a Family Plan

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, gave up unlimited for my daughters line. Had to, not going to add a line and all that jazz. Got her e 2 GB plan, same price as unlimited. Hate that I had to.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Any location that sells Verizon can do any of the above methods, as we all have access to the same system, but with limitations on the third party side.

Keep in mind that at Verizon corporate locations, most people will not do any of this for you. I personally do, but most don't care to take the time to do all that. It is also not a very "accepted" process, because Verizon wants everyone on the new plans.

Also, the "alternate upgrade" option that worked as of just this past August, is no longer a viable option. Adding a line will still circumvent losing the unlimited plan, but if you DON'T want to add a line and have 2 or more upgrades available on the account (with one of those being on a basic phone or a smartphone with no unlimited data) then the process is:

1. Upgrade line that doesn't have data or is on a limited data plan.
2. Activate the phone on that line
3. Keep it active and put some use on that line for a few minutes
4. Do a device swap (upgrades line for your line with unlimited data)

I generally keep an extra basic phone lying around in my store, so I can use that ESN as a "place holder" while I swap one phone to another.

Good luck, and keep in mind, not all of us need unlimited. I have seen people come in and BEG me to keep the unlimited data, when all they use is a 500MB a month!

dmt316

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I used my brothers upgrade, separate accounts, to get the 5S. I needed his info and I am an authorized user on the account. In exchange for his upgrade I gave him my 5 for free. Win/win in my eyes. Oh and I still have unlimited data. :)

Millerse

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the method still works. In my case I had a family plan with two lines, both with unlimited data, both eligible for upgrade, though still under contract.

The primary question was:

Can I get subsidized phones (in my case - SGS4) for one or both lines, and NOT lose unlimited data?

Currently it appears the process will work ONLY if you go to the store in-person, ONLY if it's not a corporate Verizon store, and ONLY if the company you're buying the phone from does not change you fees for changing/switching the phone or plan features. To my knowledge at this point only Costco and Best Buy stores fit that requirement.
You will also need an extra basic phone that supports E911 feature (E911 is a requirement). In my case my old Motorola V710 worked great. If you do not have one, they go for about $30 on e-bay.

At the end of the process I got:

1) subsidized phones for both lines
2) one NEW "basic" line with 2-year contract that you must pay for 2 years ($13/moths including fees; less if you have corporate discount through work). So, I have 3 lines total.
3) a contract extended on ONE of the existing lines for 2 more years

I also called Verizon and talked to 3 different account managers. The answer there was - "we can do the upgrade, but you will definitely lose unlimited data plan". However, a friendly rep at Costco assured me that if done right, you will NOT lose unlimited data. And that exactly what happened. It also appears that Verizon reps get a bonus for getting you off unlimited data. Hence, it's not in their best interest to do this for you. But people at the store are not Verizon employees. They get bonuses for the number of phones/plans sold. And if you ask nicely, they will do it for you. I already have gone through one billing cycle with Verizon, and it still shows unlimited data. Hence, I assume that the upgrade was a success.
Note that you CAN get a subsidized phone cheaper at other places, such as Wirefly. However, since they change around $400 for any changes to your account, you cannot do this process there.

I will put all steps of the process here, and some commentary. It worked as follows:

1. Buy a new subsidized smartphone in-store from Costco or Best Buy, on a new line (3rd - in my case). Note that Verizon now limits the number of lines on a family account to 5. That 3rd line will have a new phone number. You will also need to add 2Gb ($30/month) data plan on it, which you can drop without penalty later (another reason why I used Costco, not Wirefly or similar places). You will probably be charged a full month fee for it on the next Verizon bill, which will be refunded the next Verizon billing cycle. You will also pay $30 Verizon activation fees, which Costco refunds via mail-in rebate for a new line.
2. Activate the new smartphone on the new line (you do not need to actually put a new 4G SIM there; the rep can simply do it on a computer)
3. Switch the phone on the 3rd line from the new subsidized smartphone to the basic phone. That will make the new subsidized smartphone "disconnected" from your Verizon account, so it can be placed on a different line.
4. Drop data plan from the 3rd line. Verizon allows you to do so without penalty (if your line shows basic phone and not a smartphone), and Costco does not put any restrictions on plan changes for subsidized phones. At this point all "extra" cost you're responsible for is $10/month + Verizon/FCC fees.
5. Take the new subsidized smartphone, and switch it to the 1st line. Note that this does not change contract terms for the 1st line (or the 3rd line) in any way. At this point I got my new phone on the 1st line, basic phone on the 3rd line, and whatever old smartphone I had before on the 2nd line. You will get yet another new SIM for your new subsidized smartphone. You can discard the SIM you got in step-2.
Now it's time to deal with the second line. For this I used this "basic phone" line (3rd line), which does not have unlimited data anyway. So, it went as follows:
6. Transfer the UPGRADE from 1st line to the 3rd line. Note that Verizon support or corporate store will not do it for you properly. They will "touch" your account, so you WILL lose unlimited data on the 1st line. However, other vendors, such as Costco or Best Buy, can transfer "just the upgrade flag". So, the "Upgrade" ability will go to the 3rd line, though the 1st line is not "touched".
7. Do the UPGRADE on the 3rd line to a subsidized smartphone (you will need to add 2Gb data plan there yet again, and remove it later). Here is what it does:
a) You will get a new subsidized smartphone on the 3rd line
b) You will NOT lose unlimited data on the 1st line
c) The terms of your contract on the 1st line will be extended for 2 more years, though they will NOT be changed
d) You will pay $30 Verizon activation fee, which will NOT be refunded, since this is not a new line anymore
So, at this point I have:
1st line - new smartphone I got in step-1; new 2-year contract without change to contract terms (unlimited data still there)
2nd line - old smartphone, a few months left on contract; unlimited data
3rd line - new smartphone I got in Step-7; 2-year contract per terms I got in Step-1, $30/month for 2Gb data
8. Switch 3rd line to the same basic phone you used in Step-3. Now the new smartphone you got in Step-7 is not linked to your account.
9. Drop data plan from the 3rd line again
10. Put the new smartphone you got in step-7 on line #2.
So, at this point I have:
1st line - new smartphone I got in step-1; new 2-year contract without change to contract terms (unlimited data still there)
2nd line - new smartphone I got in Step-7, a few months left on contract; unlimited data; upgrade available
3rd line - basic phone, $10/month + FCC/taxes; no data plan; 2-year contract

Note that technically I can do the same exact process (steps 6-10) on the line #2 with the upgrade, which will give me an "extra" smartphone, though will extend the contract terms on the 2nd line for 2 years. It's possible to sell this phone on e-bay to recoup the cost of the 3rd line (I actually wanted the 3rd line with the basic phone for other reasons anyway, so it's a non-issue for me).

All of that was done in-store for me. The guy there knew all about it, and how to do it properly. It took about 30 minutes per new phone.

I really like Verizon, but this time I felt they got greedy. After all, I am paying the same amount per month that I did when I got subsidized phone from them originally. So I have to assume they recoup the cost of the new phone this way anyway. Also I am not a very heavy data user (way below their published averages). But I felt that I should be able to keep the plan I have now, and since I was eligible for an upgrade, get a new subsidized phone.

How do you get the new SIM card? The new phone comes with a SIM card programmed for the dumb phone line, not the unlimited data line. I have unlimited data on one line, limited data on another and a dumb phone on the third line on my plan. I ordered an iphone 5s from Verizon for my dumb phone line, which is coming by the end of this week and the shipping invoice shows that it comes with a SIM card, with the intention of transferring it to my unlimited line. I went into the Verizon store and asked for an extra SIM card and they said I have to bring the phone in for them to do it. I would like to avoid doing that if I can. So, I ask again how do you get the new SIM card for when you transfer the phone to your unlimited line?

Thanks!!

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm convinced that most of the people who are obsessed with hanging onto unlimited data just do it because they want to feel like they got one over on big bad Verizon. :rolleyes:

Wifi is a wonderful thing. I'm almost always on wifi and when I'm out, I use LTE. I've got 5gb a month and I still never use more than 1.5 gb. Barely ever put my phone down. Not that that's everyone's experience, I'm just saying it's entirely possible even for power users like myself who are constantly on their phones.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that most of the people who are obsessed with hanging onto unlimited data just do it because they want to feel like they got one over on big bad Verizon. :rolleyes:

Wifi is a wonderful thing. I'm almost always on wifi and when I'm out, I use LTE. I've got 5gb a month and I still never use more than 1.5 gb. Barely ever put my phone down. Not that that's everyone's experience, I'm just saying it's entirely possible even for power users like myself who are constantly on their phones.

One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone uses an iPhone. From my experience iPhones use far less data than windows and especially android phones. I think the biggest reason is when web browsing on an iPhone, it does not allow as much data to be downloaded where an Android phone downloads almost like a computer.

I regularly hit 8-10gb a month on my androids but my friends at work (who use their phones all the time) on iphones have barely used that much for past 6 months!

Just my experience....

(I have two lines on unlimited.... Not giving them up! There are months when both lines hit over 60gb each.....tethering and Netflix help. LOL)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I wanted to hang on to it not because I want to screw Vzn, but because I needed it. I used that much data.

Wifi is wonderful if it's available. It works for you because you're around wifi that isn't restricted. The wifi at work is a hospital wifi which blocks everything streaming. No Netflix. No Sirius. No Pandora. No iTunes radio. Nothing.

I don't have it at home mainly because I can't afford it but secondly, I spend 8+ hours a day on a computer at work. Last thing I want to do at home is to spend more time on one.

The gym I go to finally got wifi so that helps out a lot for me when I use YouTube and Netflix to pass the time on the treadmill.

So yeah, it is nice to have access to wifi most all of the day, but not all of us are that lucky.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have family share plan 1400/min & unl data, upgrades are ready now, contract is up in Dec.

We both want iPhones. To keep unl data and also getting the iPhones at the upgrade price what exactly do I need to do? I read through this but I'm confused lol.

I have an old droid incredible phone, cant I just open up an an extra line and use that phone as the dummy phone? Then I pay $13/month to keep that line allowing me to upgrade my two phones ans keeping my current plan? Im I understanding this correctly?

Edit: One of my family members Said they could use the dummy phone. Would he be sharing our 1400/minutes & unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I just bought my iphone 5s outright to keep my unlimited data. The bonus is no contract and no additional lines. I figure i can buy the iphone 6 outright and sell the 5s.

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have family share plan 1400/min & unl data, upgrades are ready now, contract is up in Dec.

We both want iPhones. To keep unl data and also getting the iPhones at the upgrade price what exactly do I need to do? I read through this but I'm confused lol.

I have an old droid incredible phone, cant I just open up an an extra line and use that phone as the dummy phone? Then I pay $13/month to keep that line allowing me to upgrade my two phones ans keeping my current plan? Im I understanding this correctly?

Edit: One of my family members Said they could use the dummy phone. Would he be sharing our 1400/minutes & unlimited data.
Yes, that is exactly what you do. The new line would be sharing your 1400 minutes and if you have unlimited texts, sharing those, too. But it would not share your data. It would be pay as you go data or you could block data on the dumbphone line so that the dumbphone could not use data at all.

1. Add a line - the line will come with a subsidized phone;
2. Pick the 2GB data plan and an iPhone;
3. Activate the new iPhone on the new line;
4. Activate a dumbphone on the new line and drop the data plan (this may happen automatically or you may have to call to get the data plan removed);
5. Activate the new iPhone on one of your unlimited data lines by using the SIM card that came with the iPhone or by getting a new SIM card for it;
6. Transfer one of the unlimited data line's upgrades to the dumbphone line and repeat steps 2-5.

You will now have 2 unlimited data lines with new iPhones on them, 1 dumbphone line and you will still have an unused upgrade on one of the unlimited data lines. You can transfer that unused upgrade to the dumbphone line and get another iPhone to sell to recoup the cost of the dumbphone line or you can save that unused upgrade to get yourself an iPhone 6 next fall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77