How to get the most out of your iPhone’s Back Tap feature

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I found I was accidentally activating too much. I’d disabled it a year ago. I‘m giving it another try right now. TheApple MagSafe case is requiring hefty taps.
I didn’t know this was there but you can make 2 or 3 taps activate the “true or false game”. Nice trivia that’s all true or false, and it is integrated with the Dynamic island. A solid ‘killing time’ game sitting in a doctor office.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I found I was accidentally activating too much. I’d disabled it a year ago. I‘m giving it another try right now. TheApple MagSafe case is requiring hefty taps.
I didn’t know this was there but you can make 2 or 3 taps activate the “true or false game”. Nice trivia that’s all true or false, and it is integrated with the Dynamic island. A solid ‘killing time’ game sitting in a doctor office.

I also “used” it when it was introduced and had the same issue…accidentally activating what I had that function set for (I think at the time I had screen shot set, boy it was not fun cleaning out my camera roll LOL)

I did re-enable it with 2 = camera and 3=flashlight. But as you stated, having a leather MagSafe case on the phone doesn’t register the taps very well. You really need to thump the back hard enough to summons the function, so I’m not sure if I’ll be leaving it on….

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I also “used” it when it was introduced and had the same issue…accidentally activating what I had that function set for (I think at the time I had screen shot set, boy it was not fun cleaning out my camera roll LOL)

I did re-enable it with 2 = camera and 3=flashlight. But as you stated, having a leather MagSafe case on the phone doesn’t register the taps very well. You really need to thump the back hard enough to summons the function, so I’m not sure if I’ll be leaving it on….

That's well said PinkChameleon. Maybe its just an oddity with me with the way I hold it affecting how forceful my tap is, but I noticed today tapping the lower half of the back seems to activate it more consistently versus the top where I'm practically giving a couple of smacks :).
Without it being consistent I just don't this time around being any different than last time. Just not worth adding it to my iPhone interaction routine.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That's well said PinkChameleon. Maybe its just an oddity with me with the way I hold it affecting how forceful my tap is, but I noticed today tapping the lower half of the back seems to activate it more consistently versus the top where I'm practically giving a couple of smacks :).
Without it being consistent I just don't this time around being any different than last time. Just not worth adding it to my iPhone interaction routine.

I’m kinda wondering if it’s worth it as well….BUT after reading your post I tested out “where” to tap on my phone to get the command to respond. For me while holding it, I would tap the top left (or looking directly at the back of the phone it would be the top right, either way next to the camera) and I don’t need to use much tapping effort to get it to respond. With that being said, I’ll leave the option set up and see how it goes from here. If it becomes just a novelty or I don’t become trained enough to use it, I’ll just turn it off.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m kinda wondering if it’s worth it as well….BUT after reading your post I tested out “where” to tap on my phone to get the command to respond. For me while holding it, I would tap the top left (or looking directly at the back of the phone it would be the top right, either way next to the camera) and I don’t need to use much tapping effort to get it to respond. With that being said, I’ll leave the option set up and see how it goes from here. If it becomes just a novelty or I don’t become trained enough to use it, I’ll just turn it off.

That is funny, yours is upper left, mine is lower center. :). I think your suspicion is correct, it’s pretty much a novelty.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I gave it a try in the beginning, but I knew within minutes that it wouldn’t be something I would use consistently so I disabled it and have not enabled it since.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73