How to get rid of the dreaded vertical lines in a panorama photo?

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
I recently got my first smart phone -it's an iPhone 7 (yes, I was a flip phone type of guy for many years). One of the features I like most about it is the panorama photo mode, which hasn't been present on any DSLR I've ever had. But about half of the photos I shoot with it have a noticeable vertical line about 20% of the way from the left to the right. This is especially noticeable if the background is a plain blue sky. Some have this same type of vertical line scattered across the entire photo. It took me a while to figure out what was causing this. The pressing of the touch screen jerks the phone enough such that it moves in a manner that is not accounted for in the processor of the smartphone. And if it is windy, it is almost impossible to move the phone across to take a panorama such that the vertical lines don't become present.

Might there be a firmware update which fixes this? Other than developing some kind of remote tripod (which rotates without one putting their hand on the camera) or perhaps a firmware update which compensates for this in the processor, I can't think of anything.

jemjem247

Oct 3, 2018
Visit site
I will suggest you, shot single/standard pictures and merge them into a panorama. It will be a better option and you can even have good control over it. As the horizontal lines covering teh whole and each image you won't be able to clear them.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I recently got my first smart phone -it's an iPhone 7 (yes, I was a flip phone type of guy for many years). One of the features I like most about it is the panorama photo mode, which hasn't been present on any DSLR I've ever had. But about half of the photos I shoot with it have a noticeable vertical line about 20% of the way from the left to the right. This is especially noticeable if the background is a plain blue sky. Some have this same type of vertical line scattered across the entire photo. It took me a while to figure out what was causing this. The pressing of the touch screen jerks the phone enough such that it moves in a manner that is not accounted for in the processor of the smartphone. And if it is windy, it is almost impossible to move the phone across to take a panorama such that the vertical lines don't become present.

Might there be a firmware update which fixes this? Other than developing some kind of remote tripod (which rotates without one putting their hand on the camera) or perhaps a firmware update which compensates for this in the processor, I can't think of anything.

Hello and welcome to iMore! Taking pictures in PANO mode can be tricky. Sometimes, I'm more successful than others. I think it takes practice and alot of trial and error. Since you posted in the iPhone 7 forum, I'm assuming you have an iPhone 7, but what version of iOS are you using?

Click here for an [URL="https://www.apple.com/iphone/photography-how-to/#mn_p]instruction video by Apple on how to shoot photos in all sorts of modes, one of which is Pano[/URL].

Another option would be to look in to the "Today At Apple" programs at local Apple Stores. If you live near one, there are all sorts of Photography Workshops which are very good, and Free!

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi jemjem247, how does one merge the photos into a panorama? Is there built in software or is there a special app for that? Thanks!

TGB77

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Can you post a screenshot of a photo that has these streaks you're referring to?
Thanks for the response. See the attached files - taken within a minute of each other of the same subject. One clearly has the vertical line while the other doesn't.Photo with vertical line.JPGphoto without vertical line.JPG

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73