How to fix a sticky digital crown?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the other day when I put my Apple Watch on that the digital crown was, for the lack of a better term, 'sticky'. Has anyone out there encountered this before? And if so, how did you fix it?

I run my watch under water after workouts, but other than that have no idea how this could have happened!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Happens all the time to me. I work in dirty dusty environments. I just run it under some water and spin it under the water. Comes out like new. I have to do this every month or two.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a first gen Watch and as I was tanning on the beach, there got some sand on the Digital Crown. I rinsed it off with drinking water and it worked as new.

Same goes for sticky, just rinse it of with 'showering temp' water (for lack of a better description) and you're good to go.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the other day when I put my Apple Watch on that the digital crown was, for the lack of a better term, 'sticky'. Has anyone out there encountered this before? And if so, how did you fix it?

I run my watch under water after workouts, but other than that have no idea how this could have happened!

Yes, this happens to me as well. I don't regularly run the watch under water, but, when this happens, I rinse the digital crown area under a slow stream of tap water while I spin and tap the crown.

Apple has a support article for just this subject. See the bottom of https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204639

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Pleased to report that running the crown under water while turning it absolutely did the trick.

Thanks all for the help! Y'all rock!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes! I sweat a lot when I run and workout and it often will get sticky. I do what folks above do and run under water while pressing and spinning the crown. That always does the trick.