How to Delete App Data

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Upon exchanging my iPhone my genius was going through my statistics. He typed something along the lines of stats.XXXX, I didn't get to see it or a chance to ask what it was. But, however, I was very nosy about my statistics to see what they were. Along the lines he showed me that I had low app data.

The conversation went something like....
"Do you know how to restore app data" - Him
"Delete it from the multitasking bar?" - Me
"Well that does some of it, but the app can still retain data even after being removed, have you ever noticed when an app crashes for no reason at all? Its because you have low app data." - Him

He then proceeded to show me how to delete all of the app data or at least the majority of it (I say this because I was still logged into Facebook after he had shown me this trick, so it had to of retained some data)

- Open said app that keeps crashing
- After you get into the app hold the power button down until the power option shows up
- Hold the home button for about 8 seconds (push it once, if you miss hit and let go restart the process, it never worked for me if I had to hit the home button twice)
- The power options will fade and it will force kick you out of the app.

You might think that because I pushed the home button is the reason it sent me back, but you can hold it the entire time. It will still force quit the app. The app will however still be in the multitasking bar, which I found odd.

Thats it. I was completely unaware of this trick, so I though I'd share it.
If everyone already knows this, my bad.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
That doesn't delete your app data though. Deleting your app data suggests that when you go back into a game you're back at level one cause your data is gone.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Like I said it had to of held on to some app data because I was still signed into Facebook after he had shown me the trick.

But this is what he told me to do when an app is crashing. We used Facebook because Facebook is notorious for crashing randomly.

Had I remembered what the statistics url he typed in was, I could probably make a more convincing case.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Do you understand what data is? You're not deleting anything.

It sounds like you're describing a hard reset (which won't remove an app from the fast app switcher).

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Do you understand what data is? You're not deleting anything.

It sounds like you're describing a hard reset (which won't remove an app from the fast app switcher).

I never stated it deleted all app data. Memory is data (loose term). If I have low memory and apps keep crashing then this would be the way to fix it (seemingly) rather than deleting it and trying again.

If you want to change the title to app memory or something of that nature then do that.

Spaz888

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I never stated it deleted all app data. Memory is data (loose term). If I have low memory and apps keep crashing then this would be the way to fix it (seemingly) rather than deleting it and trying again.

If you want to change the title to app memory or something of that nature then do that.
Dude, you need to learn the lingo. Your post(s) are implying deleting the data. The process you described is definitely a hard reset. With 593 posts, you should know better ;)

shafnitz

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
What the OP is talking about isn't a hard reset, it's a way to force quit apps without using the multitasking tray. While inside any app, you hold the Sleep button until the red "slide to power off" bar appears. You let go of the Sleep button. Then you hold the Home button for a few seconds and you will be returned to the home screen. For a while there was a rumor going around that if you performed these steps on one of the built-in system apps, you'd improve the responsiveness of the Home button, but that's obviously bunk.

Having said all that, I don't believe this does anything to affect app cache. I did an admittedly unscientific test to verify it. Using iExplorer I dumped the contents of the Facebook app directory. The contents of the Library directory, where the cache files live, added up to 32.6mb. After using the method above, I dumped the directory again and compared. It was 31.8mb. It is possible that things like the databases are being cleared but not compressed, but it's highly unlikely. I didn't notice any change in behavior of the app after launching it again. At the very least, it should have taken a second to re-download some of the pictures in my feed, but they loaded instantly. I'm pretty sure this is just another way to force quit apps, nothing more.

Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into what the Apple geniuses say. I've heard some pretty absurd things come out of their mouths. Maybe because they just want to avoid having to explain technical things to regular people, but maybe because they simply don't understand the technical details, themselves.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl