How much is the Surface Pro 4 a threat to the iPad Pro?

Omonja

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
How much is the Surface Pro 4 a threat to the iPad Pro

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how these two fare against each other. There is probably such a thread here. If there is, get me the link.

Similarities are many between these two (styli, keyboard, even the names), so are the differences. The iPad carries a mobile OS unlike the Surface. Both have advantages. The Surface Pen is more robust. Apple designed a pencil without a rubber! Storage is bigger on the Surface (up to 1 TB). Then there full USB ports, better keyboard (touch pad). Apps thing seems equal (to me) since the iPad hundreds of thousand quality apps, while the SP4 has a great amount of desktop apps to work with.

The SP4 as a tablet has fewer apps. Windows 10 could change that, or at least make the gap smaller. And the OS is quite good too. As a workhorse it has an edge over the iPad due to its OS, on-board storage, better keyboard, can add more peripherals like mice, HDDs and USB drives, SD card slot?

As both are directed towards enterprise, should Apple have beefed up the iPad more? Like a OS X on touch display? None of them are yet to be delivered to customers , so numbers aren't there to look at.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: How much is the Surface Pro 4 a threat to the iPad Pro

The SP4 looks good...like real good! But I have always admired the Surface line. IMO the Surface remains a no brainer for Enterprise environments. I don't think it will do a lot to sway creative types and Apple home users (many of whom will be happy with packing a Macbook Pro).

I'm unsure of the iPad Pro. I think it looks slick. I love the pen and keyboard but I really hate iOS "multitasking" ! Usually all it means is bringing up an unwanted browser window while I'm trying to read flipboard. I'll probably get used to it eventually. I don't think anything matches the utlility of full windows and precision mouse movements for an office desktop environment, so I'd say the Surface Pro has a compelling leg up on the iPad Pro. I still don't see much reason to use it over my Macbook though. For my computer, I simply cannot do without a wide range of ports and that is a killer on the Surface Pro for me.

I would be inclined to consider a Surface Pro over a MBA or rMB though. I'll stick to the simplicity of the iPad for goofing off however. (I love iOS games!)

I don't think the iPad Pro is for me really and probably not for people who would consider the Surface Pro 4 either.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I actually just sold my SP3 bc I want an iPad Pro. I loved the SP3. It's a great and powerful device and the accessories were great. My problem really just boils down to Windows. I have never liked Windows and I still don't like it. After using the SP3 for a few months, I went back to my iPad. I largely use tablet devices for note taking at work and then for data consumption outside of work. I don't really play games. I just couldn't get used to Windows again. I will most likely get the iPad Pro and use my MBP when I need a more robust device.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

A good post, OP; with respect to your question: judging by the reviews, and some of the posts, I feel like on the very opposite side of the fence - Surface Book looks great, but feels a "meh" to me. While I do recognize the strong merit & appeal that the Surface product line carries, I simply do NOT want to have a tablet that offers a full-blown OS. This is also my main criticism of the Surface architecture; when I opt for working with a tablet, I do NOT want to have the full-blown OS - that's exactly why I picked a tablet form factor. Otherwise I could have picked a laptop, right? Call it being apologetic for Apple, or whatever, but that's exactly what I want my device to be - an excellent tablet, period.

While the new Windows 10 looks & performs very admirably on the Surface Book (Continuum & Universal Apps), I know that I will not even use 10% of what it offers. The "pro user" reality is that the devices these days are almost meaningless. It's the apps that offer you superior experience; thus, the argument really comes down to your preferred experience and the apps that you use on regular basis.

Personally, I have tried to find the replacements for my fave apps on Windows, and I just couldn't. Something more intuitive than Photos, iMovie, Paper, or Coda? I have yet to hear about that. As far as expandability goes (ports, etc.), personally, I could not care less about that - I am totally not the target audience.

I think that the iPad Pro will fare very well as it is designed to serve a different purpose, for different audience, and offer different type of user experience; I would not be concerned, at all.

UPDATE:
What are you guys getting, if at all?

Last edited:

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm staying with my Air for now. I'll be in the market for a tablet with cellular capabilities within the next year or so but will probably blow off upgrading until Apple does a new tablet in the 9" form factor.

The Pro looks cool but IMO somewhat niche. I'm a big dude with Godzilla hands and even I don't want to pack a 12" screen around for what I do on a tablet.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the Surface for a few reasons. I like the simplicity of iOS more than I dislike the limitations. El Capitan was a huge download. I prefer light and fast. Windows 10 isn't light and fast. I have a lot of reasons but the first draft of this reply sounded anti-Microsoft, and I really don't want to sound that way. So I'll leave this short.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I am torn. I can not afford both for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

danielsjt

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

The same amount of threat the Surface Pro 3 was, really. I don't think they're really comparable as tablets. There will be a market for both, one doing well doesn't mean the other can't do well.

Surface Pro 4 is built around an OS that was keyboard/mouse-first, then had touch tacked on top. Until (if) there are more tablet-specific apps on Windows, it's a compromised experience in my opinion. Using the desktop with touch is a pain, which then necessitates the keyboard, and at that point, isn't it just a laptop? I think it's a good device if you need to replace a computer, need desktop apps, and want to dabble with tablet-y stuff.

iOS is touch-first, which IMHO, makes it a better tablet experience. And while there's no legacy of 20+ years of professional apps (compared to Windows), that doesn't mean it's not possible to have professional apps and do professional things with iOS.

I mean, would it be impossible to have full Photoshop in iOS in a few years, and be just as useful as Photoshop on Windows? Of course not. It depends on if the market demands it. Apple is betting on this model taking off, and that has zero bearing on Surface being good or not.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

The same amount of threat the Surface Pro 3 was, really. I don't think they're really comparable as tablets. There will be a market for both, one doing well doesn't mean the other can't do well.

Surface Pro 4 is built around an OS that was keyboard/mouse-first, then had touch tacked on top. Until (if) there are more tablet-specific apps on Windows, it's a compromised experience in my opinion. Using the desktop with touch is a pain, which then necessitates the keyboard, and at that point, isn't it just a laptop? I think it's a good device if you need to replace a computer, need desktop apps, and want to dabble with tablet-y stuff.

iOS is touch-first, which IMHO, makes it a better tablet experience. And while there's no legacy of 20+ years of professional apps (compared to Windows), that doesn't mean it's not possible to have professional apps and do professional things with iOS.

I mean, would it be impossible to have full Photoshop in iOS in a few years, and be just as useful as Photoshop on Windows? Of course not. It depends on if the market demands it. Apple is betting on this model taking off, and that has zero bearing on Surface being good or not.

Spot on, if you ask me. The iPad Pro's target is of entirely different type. I also strongly believe that the apps are the best selling points of the mobile platform.

Cheers!

jason128

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

I think the only good thing for surface that it is a full windows. How i wish there is a OS X in the next gen of iPad Pro or Macbook Touch. That would be perfect!

Blacklizted

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

My comment is for people who are seriously considering nothing else but these two products.

Productivity-wise, Surface Pro wins.

For media consumption, about the same.

For Apps, MS got mobile and powerful desktop apps and heavy games + Steam, also MS Office and the full Adobe Suite + bluestacks if you want to use thousands of Android apps.

Hardware/Accessories: SP4 hands down.
Better keyboard implementation on SP4. With glass trackpad and backlit keys. Multiple angles.
Better stylus on SP4. Eraser, 1 year battery, click to open note app, double-click to screenshot, hold for voice assistant, strong magnet to hold the pen in place.
Front-facing speakers.

Price: SP4 is cheaper.

So to answer the TS' question, no, the Surface Pro 4 is not a threat to iOS users since they are already familiar and comfortable with it (as stated in earlier comments). But, if the person is looking for the most bang for his buck and a serious productivity machine, then it is a threat.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

My comment is for people who are seriously considering nothing else but these two products.

Productivity-wise, Surface Pro wins.

For media consumption, about the same.

For Apps, MS got mobile and powerful desktop apps and heavy games + Steam, also MS Office and the full Adobe Suite + bluestacks if you want to use thousands of Android apps.

Hardware/Accessories: SP4 hands down.
Better keyboard implementation on SP4. With glass trackpad and backlit keys. Multiple angles.
Better stylus on SP4. Eraser, 1 year battery, click to open note app, double-click to screenshot, hold for voice assistant, strong magnet to hold the pen in place.
Front-facing speakers.

Price: SP4 is cheaper.

So to answer the TS' question, no, the Surface Pro 4 is not a threat to iOS users since they are already familiar and comfortable with it (as stated in earlier comments). But, if the person is looking for the most bang for his buck and a serious productivity machine, then it is a threat.

Some good points here when assuming that perspective. No doubt is the SP4 better equipped and is, no qualifiers required, a full-blown PC with additional layer of touch functionality provided. Obviously, if you are into using a PC and you live in MS ecosystem, then SP4 is a no-brainer.

That being said, if you are to use your device as a touch-driven device, and you rely on iOS apps, then there cannot be any threat, whatsoever. Even if it were, who cares, it all comes down how one uses the device to begin with - one has to decide for itself.

To borrow an automotive analogy, we are comparing a truck with a compact here, feature-wise. If you need to carry that extra stuff with you, you'll get the truck. Otherwise, you'll get a mind-blowing compact (and that is even not a close analogy).

Lastly, I would add my personal experience; I have never seen MSFT software performing better than on iOS devices - they are almost a joy to work with - love them. The same cannot be said about their Windows counterparts, touch, or no touch included (have tried both).

Cheers!

Blacklizted

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site

I live in both ecosystems. I currently use a MacBook 2012, 2015 MacBook Air, iPhone 6 Plus. Had the iMac 27" Mid 2011 with 12Gb ram. Had all iPhones before 6 Plus. The only Windows hardware I own right now is the Lumia 1520, I had the 720 and 1020 at one point as well. I also have a couple of android phones lying around. But that's not the point here.

I think the truck-compact analogy indeed is not a close analogy as these are both compact. Its probably not fair to compare both products, but Apple decided to market this as a PRO device and released the same accessories as the Surface Pro 4. Even the costing is super close. It is clearly competing for the same space.

IMHO, if I don't have the devices I mentioned in my first paragraph (zero gadgets), and I am looking for a professional and productivity oriented device, I would pick the Surface Pro 4. Its the real 2-in-1 device, the best of both worlds. Three worlds if you count Bluestacks. I have a tablet mode, desktop mode, and android mode. Now I have more apps than iOS and OS X combined.

However, If I'm content with using iMovie, browsing the web, doodling, playing casual games, staring at photos, reading emails, watching movies, then yes, the iPad Pro will serve me just right. But then again, since hypothetically, I have zero devices, what do I do if I want to use Final Cut Pro, the full Office, full Adobe suite, Dota 2, etc. That's right, buy an additional MacBook Pro.

As an Apple user, I would say Apple should have beefed up the iPad Pro more. They are simply behind in this segment. They haven't innovated enough this time. Especially seeing at how the Apple Pencil is charged. My girlfriend is working for one of the biggest companies here in our country. Their company is using Apple machines from iMacs to MacBook Airs. The director now is considering switching to the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book. Same thing at my office, my loyal Apple friends is switching too. They won't replace their iPhones, but is picking the Surface line over the Macbooks. So that's why I'm saying its an official threat.

Blakew23

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site

Windows vs. iOS... that's what decides it for me. You can have amazing hardware but if the software it's running is bad, then it ruins the whole experience.

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

Windows vs. iOS... that's what decides it for me. You can have amazing hardware but if the software it's running is bad, then it ruins the whole experience.

Exactly! That's why I'm getting the SP4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Exactly! That's why I'm getting the SP4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sticking to the comment above yours, I have yet to see iOS running bad and I have seen Windows running very bad. Not to instigate any platform wars, but historically the case should be made against Windows, no doubt.

That being said, Windows 10 appears to be super-solid and, as I take it, that is why you are choosing the SP4.

Cheers!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

From my view the SP4 is really meant to be a full computer that is also a tablet, but is thin and light like a tablet and not one of those pseudo laptop/tablets like the yoga. For me I will be getting the iPad Pro its for personal but I do use it for work as well since they do not provide us with the appropriate mobile technology. Being in outside sales and some of our apps require active x so I have to use windows which means I have to carry my laptop and fortunately I was able to finagle one of the latest Dell laptops new employees are issued or upgraded to.

Still as an outside sales rep who has to use windows for work they really should issue us a SP4 or something similar (Dell is their OEM of choice) but sadly that will never happen.