How many of U chose 4s over the 5

bbsadaj

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i chose the 4S when i was upgrade eligible. there wasn't a drastic difference for me to pick the 5 and i haven't regretted my choice one bit.

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Terrigno-

why do you think that the 4s is a better phone than the 5. Will it be relevant 2 years from now as well?

From my experience, I became more upset with the 5 then I did when I had the 4S before. Yes, its lighter and a bit taller. It has LTE. But Fiddling around with it one handed or trying to text on it all the time wasn't even close to on point as it was on the 4S for me. The technology with these devices and all other Android devices no matter how many Quad Triple Core Processors there putting in aren't making that much of a difference. Im not finding the 5's camera really any better then the 4S. The biggest thing it has going for it is the LTE. The LTE is quick. But Pointless when your around Wifi 90% of your day. Plus, Im on Verizon where that's pretty strong in this whole area where I live and travel to and from. I don't play games on my phone, I don't do much data intensive stuff on my phone so the LTE isn't that big of a deal. It might have been with a 55" Android screened device, but not so much with the IPhone.

For Me, The stainless steel and glass on the 4S along with the weight and size make it a great device. I baby my electronics, I always have. Sometimes Lighter and thinner doesn't make things better. The feel and quality of the 5 wasn't a step up from the 4S in my opinion. I think it was a step down. The 5 construction reminds me of an Android. The 4S construction reminds me of a high end luxury device in my hands. The 4S for me hits that sweet spot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From my experience, I became more upset with the 5 then I did when I had the 4S before. Yes, its lighter and a bit taller. It has LTE. But Fiddling around with it one handed or trying to text on it all the time wasn't even close to on point as it was on the 4S for me. The technology with these devices and all other Android devices no matter how many Quad Triple Core Processors there putting in aren't making that much of a difference. Im not finding the 5's camera really any better then the 4S. The biggest thing it has going for it is the LTE. The LTE is quick. But Pointless when your around Wifi 90% of your day. Plus, Im on Verizon where that's pretty strong in this whole area where I live and travel to and from. I don't play games on my phone, I don't do much data intensive stuff on my phone so the LTE isn't that big of a deal. It might have been with a 55" Android screened device, but not so much with the IPhone.

For Me, The stainless steel and glass on the 4S along with the weight and size make it a great device. I baby my electronics, I always have. Sometimes Lighter and thinner doesn't make things better. The feel and quality of the 5 wasn't a step up from the 4S in my opinion. I think it was a step down. The 5 construction reminds me of an Android. The 4S construction reminds me of a high end luxury device in my hands. The 4S for me hits that sweet spot.

A lot of people feel exactly the same way as you do so don't think you're alone in liking the 4S better than the 5. I, too, was more than satisfied with the 4S and I won't hesitate to recommend it because it really is a solid device. Having said that, I've moved on to the iPhone 5 and I really like it and have no regrets about getting it. Heck, as I've stated numerous times, I regret not getting it sooner, but hey, that's how it is sometimes. Anyway, continue to enjoy your iPhone 4S because GOD knows I enjoyed mine. Take care, my friend...:)

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If I can text faster on the 4S and am around Wifi 90% of my day, why is the 5 better? I got rid of the 5 and went back to the 4S. The Glass and Stainless steel, weight and size are bliss.

The 5 is significantly more futureproof (well, by a year at least). When iOS8 or 9 rolls around, the 5 will probably be more likely to get all its features than the 4S. In the same way, the 5S (or whatever they call it) will get more new features for longer than the 5, repeat ad naseum.

Your 4S will be obsolete a year sooner than the 5, and won't get the same improvements that the 5 will get in later versions of iOS, because either 1. Apple will phase it out or 2. the hardware just won't be able to keep up.

Granted, you may like the look and feel of your 4S over the 5 now, but you're also going to be longing for whatever improvements iOS 8 and 9 (and maybe even 7) bring because it won't be on your phone.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If I can text faster on the 4S and am around Wifi 90% of my day, why is the 5 better? I got rid of the 5 and went back to the 4S. The Glass and Stainless steel, weight and size are bliss.

I will agree with you that the weight of the iPhone 4S was nice. But I like the bigger screen, the LTE, and the lightning connector. I understand that you are wifi most if the time so LTE isn't that important to you. But it certainly is to me. I do think that the iPhone 5 looks better. Especially the white version.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hanging on to my 4S as long as possible even though I can upgrade in May. As many have said, I think the steel & glass look is awesome (I've got a clear case on it so I can enjoy the looks while it's protected), it feels awesome, and it runs great.

I may get a 5S, but still I'm going to hang onto my 4S and make use of it somehow, most likely for iPod duties plugged into my home theater sound.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't so much a choice for me.

Was only 1 year into my 2 year contract. My 4s still enjoyed the full benefits of ios6, and LTE and a bigger screen wasn't compelling enough to get me to fork over that stiff recontracting fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
i had no upgrade there's no LTE in my area so i wouldn't have upgraded if i could. For me, LTE is the only compelling difference. Others may care about other things like the screen but it wasn't a big enough deal for me to pay a fee, plus the cost of a new 64gb phone.

Rousell Wall

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think iPhone 4s is good as compared to the iPhone 5. Because iPhone 5 is wide and I don't like to have it that. Just not getting some better features but its okay to use the iPhone 4s.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I like the size and shape of the 4s over the 5 and went to AT&T with every intention of getting the 4s.

The rep somehow talked me into getting the 5. No regrets :)

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
For the same reason i opted for the 4S over the i5. I agree with some people that the 4S build quality is greater than the i5. If you're going for LTE, then if LTE is left on, how much less battery would you conserve? The speed of 3G is sufficient for such a device unless you tether to a PC.

Moreover, the iPhone 4S external speaker trumps my other device which I shall not name. Not sure about the iPhone 5.

The way how I see the newer phones: The bigger screen smart phones are great sellers particularly the samsung galaxy series yes, but they're just too big for some. Some needs 2 hand to use and grab across screen to invoke an action within an app etc. The 3.5" screen coupled with the fast chip aka A5 is a small enough phone with a still wickedly still fast processor which will be the perfect tool to get things done. At this time, it's a handy little jackknife of phones if you will.

I still don't see the benefit of the iPhone 5 over the 4S in terms of speed. LTE...yeah overkill killing battery...out.

kevdogg32

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I was going to get the iPhone4 last night, but got the $100 for trading in an old smartphone, so I got the iPhone 4s. So far it's the best smartphone i've ever owned. Coming from a Palm Pixi Plus.....

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If I was to buy new I would get the 5, but I have hundreds of $$ worth of cases and accessories for my 4s. The 4s is also getting most of the OS upgrades even after 2 years. I'm still happy with it. No regrets.

Now if it was a droidphone that goes obsolete in 3 months and gets no updates, I would never get last year's model. iPhones are a whole different story.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My Son will be getting a 4S for his Birthday. At his age, I think the 4S is a nice upgrade to my old 3GS that he has been using for some time now.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the iPhone 4, and loved it to pieces. Still do. I went to the Galaxy S 3 because I'm nearsighted and even with glasses the screen was starting to be harder to read. I loved the GS3 too. Then I went to the BB Z10 because I started on BB, have a soft spot for them and loved WebOS which BB10 essentially stole from for everything and really liked that phone - until I got bitten by the bad BB hardware issue and poor customer service. With that I was looking at the HTC One or the iPhone 5. The 4S wasn't an option because I wanted a phone that will get as much support as possible for the best few years and the screen size. When I saw the OS 7 keynote it cemented the 5 for me. It's what I spent a lot of time makings gs3 look like with themes and customisations.

Don't regret the 5 at all, but I do agree that the build of the 4/4S is gorgeous.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro