How Many Hours Do You Charge an I Phone the First Time?

Jstclair

Feb 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought my I Phone and am completely new to this. The instructions say not to turn it on until it is fully charged. How many hours does it take to fully charge this the first time? I called AT&T and the representative said, "Five," then said, "Probably three. Three to five."

One of my friends didn't fully charge her battery the first time, and she's had problems with her battery running out quickly. Not sure if these two facts are related but I want to avoid that happening if possible.

Thanks for your help![/FONT]

Grumps

Feb 12, 2009
www.nexxstudio.com
Uhh, I didn't remember reading such rule so I did actually turn on the phone right after purchase. I'm not saying you should too but the battery do last me through the day unless I'm running some resources hungry games for a great few hours.

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
If you are not suppose to turn it on before you charge it then why does at$t turn them on for you?

When I got my iphone I didn't charge it till that night. I haven't had any problems with mine since I got it.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
lmao. AT&T or Apple MUST turn on the phone in order to activate it! I don't remember reading that, and I don't think it really matters. The battery is Lithium-ion which doesn't require the old school charging techniques of draining and recharging to full like 5 times. God I hated those days. Sometimes the battery meter will freak out and draining until the phone dies and fully charging will generally reset the meter.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Yup, the old days of discharging and recharging batteries are gone for the most part. But when you first get a device with a rechargeable battery you should fully charge the battery at least once before any real extensive use. By doing this the internal battery meter can be properly calibrated so there are no false battery readings. Fully discharging and recharging the battery about once every 3-6 months or so will help keep the meter accurate.

shama

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
im having a problem in charging. for the first time by mistake i coudnt charge the battery fully so now the battery is running out very very very quickly!! is there a way dat i can fix it? pleaseeeeeee? :(

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Try running the phone completely dead, then charge overnight. I do this every 5-6 weeks, and have had no problem with battery life.

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Charging it fully and running it completely dead only mattered when cell phones used NiCad and NiMH batteries. Lithium Ion batteries actually can be damaged if you discharge them too often and don't need to be fully charged. They're not affected by "battery memory".

Your friends battery issues have nothing to do with her using it without charging it fully. The iPhone's battery doesn't last long enough for many heavy users, but that has nothing to do with the way people charge it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Charging it fully and running it completely dead only mattered when cell phones used NiCad and NiMH batteries. Lithium Ion batteries actually can be damaged if you discharge them too often and don't need to be fully charged. They're not affected by "battery memory".

Your friends battery issues have nothing to do with her using it without charging it fully. The iPhone's battery doesn't last long enough for many heavy users, but that has nothing to do with the way people charge it.

Not *completely* true as you should run it completely dry at least once a month after being fully charged. But you are right when you say it should not be done on a consistent basis.

shama

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Thank You..im trying it now. but the thing is when phone is completely dead and then when i charge it, automatically it switched on! and then its charging. y is dat? so i turn off the phone and charging it... how does this work? gud or bad?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
im having a problem in charging. for the first time by mistake i coudnt charge the battery fully so now the battery is running out very very very quickly!! is there a way dat i can fix it? pleaseeeeeee? :(

yours sounds to be like a totally different problem. perhaps you have a rogue program running in the background...are you jailbroken? if not try either quitting the applications or doing a soft reset of the phone. quitting apps is>>push and hold the power on/off button then releasing when the on/off slider shows up then pushing and holding the home button. a soft reset is>>pushing and holding the on/off button and continue to hold and when the slider shows up add pushing and holding the homebutton and hold them both until the apple appears.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
wth?! I didn't even know about this. The ATT reps gave me the phone turned on already

don't worry your phone is fine. there is no pre-charging prerequisite . every once in a while just let the phone go down to nothing as this will reset the battery meter.

twister60

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
from the start, the battery will gain 1 or 2 % of capacity, just because its new.

Not fully charging it the first time will not decrease the battery life, but it might take longer to fully bring the battery to life.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
An Apple tech told me that if you don't fully charge the battery it will discharge faster.

duh.

a battery at 70% will discharge faster than one at 100% given equal usage amounts. in the first case there's less charge to begin with.

that wasn't some hugely technical line they said

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
don't worry your phone is fine. there is no pre-charging prerequisite . every once in a while just let the phone go down to nothing as this will reset the battery meter.

not true.

think of it this way. you don't need to empty a water tank all the way before filling it up to be able to know it's full with a water meter. same thing with a battery meter. it reads the current amount of charge, not the amount of charge added.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh