How long should it take for the 6s to charge for the first time?

I

iMore Question

How long should it take for the 6s to charge for the first time

Just got my 6s, YAY! How long should I let it charge for the first time?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: How long should it take for the 6s to charge for the first time

You should let your device charge to capacity. As for how long - however long it takes.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

It'll have some charge already. I'd let it go down til 1 or 2 percent and then charge all the way up.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site

It'll have some charge already. I'd let it go down til 1 or 2 percent and then charge all the way up.

That is the worst advice for a Lithium Ion battery. You are thinking about the old days like 7 or 10 years ago when it was recommended to drain the battery to 1% then charge it full then disconnect as soon as it reaches 100%.

Lithium ION batteries like to be topped off all the time and perform best when you don't constantly drain them to below 15%

Allen Gregg

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

I think in theory they say the most modern batteries last longer if you keep them in the 20-80% range at all times - not lower, and not higher. Though that would be nearly impossible to do unless you are staring at your phone while charging it all of the time.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

That is the worst advice for a Lithium Ion battery. You are thinking about the old days like 7 or 10 years ago when it was recommended to drain the battery to 1% then charge it full then disconnect as soon as it reaches 100%.

Lithium ION batteries like to be topped off all the time and perform best when you don't constantly drain them to below 15%

It might be bad advice but it's how I consistently get three days on a charge.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I guess the question is why do you need to go three days between charges? Do you never have an opportunity (i.e., when you are sleeping at night) to charge the phone while it's not actively in use?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have plenty of opportunity. I just see no need to constantly keep charging something that still has plenty of charge left.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

It's how I have always treated my phones since 2007 and have never ruined a battery. I use them till they get down to about 5% and then charge them. Like you, I get between 2-3 days between charges. Of course, I have three iPhones I use daily so my battery life standby gets extended on some days.

I also do the same on my two MacBook Pros and my Surface Pro 3. Again, I have never ruined a battery doing this in all these years.