How long does it take for Reset all Settings?

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Due to a change in my companies policy, iPhone's are no longer allowed to be used so I'm selling my 3GS tonight and am doing a reset all on my 16GB 3gS. It's been going on for over an hour so far and I had 12GB free on it. How long does this take? I didn't want to do a factory restore through iTunes because there's too much confidential info on there and I saw at iPhone 3GS: Factory Reset this is the best way to reset it.

This has been going on for over 2hr's now. I don't have the SIM card in it because I was told to go back to my Blackberry. Could that have something to do with it? Also could I just stop the process by shutting the iPhone off and doing a factory restore from a new computer with iTunes on it?

Thank You

Last edited:

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Is your phone stock or jailbroken? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do the erase all settings, but if your phone is jailbroken i'd be inclined to suggest doing the restore first. Do you already have a buyer?

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
It's jailbroken. I'm installing iTunes on my work computer now and then will doing the restore and then erase all settings. I already have a buyer that's meeting me at the local police station by my house.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I just hope that when I start iTunes, it will see the phone and allow me to do the restore, it won't even allow me to shut it off right now.

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
i also forgot to ask what version firmware you were running.

b/c you're going to restore to factory firmware, not a backup.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
The latest firmware. I've already informed the guy that there's software out that can unlock it so he can use it on T-Mobile since that's what he wants it for.

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
kewl, just wanted to make sure. The restore to stock firmware is going to take a little longer than just the erase to settings, but if you erase all settings on a jailbroken iphone, it's likely to put the phone in a state where it's unusable, and then you'll need to put it in dfu mode and restore anyway.

So you should start downloading the 3.1.2 firmware from apple, since you're going to have to sync that.

Last edited:

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Nope, completely unplugged. All I get is the Apple logo and then after a few seconds a round symble right below it.

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
hold down the home button and then hold down the power button, it will restart the phone but just keep holding down the buttons and it should turn off after a sec or 2.

wabbit#IM

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
i forgot to add, only way to stop this, is to manually put the phone in DUF mode and do a clean restore. else give it a few hrs to do a security wipe.

thieffz

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm sorry for replying on such an old thread, but I'm also having the same problem.

I actually have a very unlucky combination, because I have an iPhone 3GS 16GB and its jailbroken. I've used about 9-10GB of storage but the real problem is that because of some random modification, I cannot connect my iPhone to my PC using an USB cable. My PC doesn't respond at all. So I can't put my iPhone in DFU mode and put a new firmware in it.

My iPhone has been factory restoring for well over 30 + HOURS. Does anyone know the maximum time it resets?

Kind regards :p

sillybunni007

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Help!

I have Cydia installed on my iPhone 4 but I never really jailbroke my phone. I am also trying to do the reset all content and settings but it's taking over an hour. Should I just plug it into a new computer? Won't that erase everything on it faster? It won't let me restore it back to factory settings and it hasn't loaded at all on the bar under the apple logo. :(

thieffz

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
*bump?*

3+ Days now.

I did notice that my iphone battery runs out of battery, even when leaving it at the wall charger. :confused:

Does the factory reset restart after my iphone runs out of battery?

Anyone have an idea?