How long do you wait before getting a new iPad?

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello iMore.
Just purchased a new iPad Air and iPad mini w/ Retina, and I know I probably should have waiting for the new ones... *sigh*
But just wanted to get a general idea of how long do you guys wait until you upgrade your iPad to the latest model?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My first iPad was the 3, which I got about a month after release, and I updated to the rMini as soon as it was released. So that's almost 2 years. I didn't upgrade because I wanted something new, I upgraded because I needed a smaller/light iPad. If the 3 wasn't so heavy, I would of waited a little longer. For me, a new iPad every year isn't necessary. Now phones are a different story LOL

Arktos

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I purchased an iPad 2 around launch and am still using it today. I would like to upgrade to a Mini with retina display, but I'm saving my cash for whatever Apple rolls out at the next iPhone Keynote. That said, my wife has an Air and it's absolutely a worthy upgrade.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the iPad 2 in November 2011. Bought the iPad 4 last year in July. I don't see the need to upgrade anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Have the iPad 4, been very happy with it, skipped The iPad Air, and will waite and see whats to comes, If the new features interest me enough i will trade if not, I'm still happy.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I keep my iPad(s) until there’s a compelling reason to upgrade. I get a new iPhone every year, but not so for the iPad. I purchased my original iPad in July, 2010, and kept it until last year when I upgraded to the retina Mini.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've got a new iPad every year except the iPad 2. I doubt I will get another this year because touch ID is not compelling to me on iPad since I use the leather smart case and I want my iPad to wake and be open when I open my cover. I don't need the same type of security for iPad as I do iPhone.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I still use my iPad 2. My plan was to get an iPad Air but I want Touch ID on my iPad also so I'm waiting it out to see if that happens with the next one.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought the first gen ipad shortly after it came out. I resisted the second gen and jumped on the third gen. Then that became outdated quick with the 4. I resisted. I did get a mini because I have issues... I sold both tho when the air came out had now have that.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I still use my iPad 2. My plan was to get an iPad Air but I want Touch ID on my iPad also so I'm waiting it out to see if that happens with the next one.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums

I never thought I would care about Touch ID on my rMini until the thing never unlocks with my finger LOL. I'm so use to it on my 5S, I forget its not on my rMini every time. I still doubt if I'll upgrade because its not a necessity, its just a convenience.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been replacing my iPads every year. Sell the old and use that money toward the new(Currently using on the iPad Air 128gb Wifi/LTE). I do like the Touch ID on my 5s so I'm kind of thinking about getting the new one. I was on the fence of going back to a Mini but hopefully the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 comes out and will stick with that and my Air.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello iMore.
Just purchased a new iPad Air and iPad mini w/ Retina, and I know I probably should have waiting for the new ones... *sigh*
But just wanted to get a general idea of how long do you guys wait until you upgrade your iPad to the latest model?

I wait until the tech guy at the school where I teach sends me an email telling me to bring the iPad I'm using to his office because he has a new one for me.

Seriously...regardless of whether it is a phone, tablet, computer, etc.. I never chase technology. No matter what item you're purchasing, the next and greatest version is in the pipeline. If I'm ready for a new or different device I purchase what I like now. Be happy with what your new purchase and enjoy using it.

Drewbs

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been replacing my iPads every year. Sell the old and use that money toward the new(Currently using on the iPad Air 128gb Wifi/LTE). I do like the Touch ID on my 5s so I'm kind of thinking about getting the new one. I was on the fence of going back to a Mini but hopefully the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 comes out and will stick with that and my Air.

How much does the 128 gb cost

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
How much does the 128 gb cost

iPad Air 128GB option starts at $799 USD for WiFi only and $929 USD for WiFi and Cellular.

On the topic of the thread, I have had my iPad 2 since release and will probably keep it until this fall when I purchase a new iPad most likely.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 that may be replaced by one of the newer models this fall. Damn thing weighs a ton compared to the iPad Air, but it still works well. Recently bought a Kindle Fire HDX and am pleasantly surprised at the light weight today's tablets can achieve.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the iPad Air. Had the 4, 3, and 2. I will not be upgrading this time around though. I think that the Air is giving me everything I need right now. I couldn't ask for anything more. It has been perfect.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an iPad 2 around launch and am still using it today. I would like to upgrade to a Mini with retina display, but I'm saving my cash for whatever Apple rolls out at the next iPhone Keynote. That said, my wife has an Air and it's absolutely a worthy upgrade.

Exactly where I am too, although I'll probably get an Air (or the next iteration equivalent) when my iPad 2 finally gives up the ghost.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods