How long did it take you to get used to the size of the 6 Plus?

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I am currently using an iPhone 5s from work that I will have to return at the end of the year. Next year, my wife and I are going to travel the world for a year and then move from Germany to the US, which is why I'll need a new iPhone by January. My initial idea was to use an older iPhone 4s that I still had lying around next year but after having used it for a few days I have decided for myself that it's too slow (even with iOS 9), the camera is much worse than I remembered, and battery life even with an almost new battery is abysmal. I'm thus now seriously considering getting an iPhone 6 Plus - the iPhone 6 is already too large for my taste and so is the 6 Plus but with that at least I'll get the monstrous battery and optimal image stabilization. Plus, I'll be able to toss it in the backpack next year in case it starts bothering me in my pockets. I figured that now should be the best time to pick up a good-as-new 6 Plus since many people are selling theirs in order to get a 6S Plus.

The question is: for those of you who never used a larger phone before, how long did it take you to get used to the sheer size of the phone?

I came from a 5S to a 6 Plus. The first two weeks I was questioning of the 6 would be a better fit. The more I used the 6 Plus I more I liked it. I got use to the additional size and realized its manageable (for me) and fit my usage needs better then the 6. Either way the 6S or 6S plus are great devices. It depends on how you use your device.

I was worried about size in my pocket with the 6 Plus but I soon realized I only keep it in my pocket a small amount of time. It's typically in my hand, beside me (on desk/car) etc. The times its in my pocket it is a little big but I don't mind it for the added usability (and battery life).

In my opinion either way you can't go wrong. Just personal preference.

I would tell anyone thinking about making the jump to a bigger device to give it a fair shot. Make sure you use it for 2 weeks to real see if it fits your style. If not, grab the 6.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Last year I got the 6 because I was afraid of the size. Then I got my Note 4 just a month later and got used to that right away. I knew immediately that I should have gone with the 6Plus.
Now after using the Note 4 I'm using the 6Plus with no problems at all.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Went from a 5 to the 6s Plus with no hitch. Size is great. Fits my pockets just fine, but I don't wear tight jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
So it's been ten days and I still haven't dropped it! Amazing, isn't it :biggrin:

I got used to the size at this point in terms that I don't even attempt to use it one-handed anymore. I've also gotten used to taking it out of my pocket before sitting down because it does bother me big time. Quite some pressure on it, and it doesn't surprise me that some phones bent under the pressure. Occasionally, I did forget to take it out before sitting down in the first few days but overall I'm surprised it doesn't bother me more. I would've thought this would be a big letdown given that I was used to always keeping the phone in my left front pocket, be that in the car, train, at my desk, etc.

Battery life is impressive, I have yet to drain the battery during a single day even when using it a lot. Usually, I end up with somewhere between 40-50% (heavy use) and 65-75% (light use). Listening to music via bluetooth headphones for three hours drains the battery by ~20% where the 5s would've lost somewhere around 35-40% charge.

I must admit though that the display does not offer me any real benefits yet. I don't watch movies on this thing (the occasional short Youtube clip aside), I don't play games or surf the web a lot, and I don't read any books on it at all. Haven't had time to use the camera yet either. The two things I do like is that the calendar now shows more than three events in month view and that reading mails requires less scrolling. The one thing that bothers me is that even a year after Apple released the bigger iPhones there are still apps that haven't been updated for the larger screen yet despite having received multiple updates in the past twelve months.

sleepngbear

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
So it's been ten days and I still haven't dropped it! Amazing, isn't it :biggrin:

I got used to the size at this point in terms that I don't even attempt to use it one-handed anymore. I've also gotten used to taking it out of my pocket before sitting down because it does bother me big time. Quite some pressure on it, and it doesn't surprise me that some phones bent under the pressure. Occasionally, I did forget to take it out before sitting down in the first few days but overall I'm surprised it doesn't bother me more. I would've thought this would be a big letdown given that I was used to always keeping the phone in my left front pocket, be that in the car, train, at my desk, etc.

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
It took me about 15 minutes to get used to the size....but I used to use a T-mobile sidekick back in the day. When i switched back to Apple I really thought the phones were too small. I used an iPad mini to make calls until Apple came out with the iPhone 6Plus. Personally I would like to be able to make calls on all of my devices. I know I can do it with handoff but I would like to do it independently. I use a bluetooth mic when I talk (no I don't walk around talking...that looks silly...i usually stop and carry on my conversation.) I love larger phones!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It took me about a week. Now I don't even notice the size. Every other iPhone looks tiny now though!

pjs37

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I was worried coming from an S6 I was going to find the plus too big.i tried a bunch of my co-workers phones. However with the lack of pluses and seemingly easy to find regular 6S I figured just get the plus and if I don't like it I can return it for a 6S, however I have gotten used to the size in only two days though there are moments I think I should have gone smaller it is something that lessens by the say.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I was a hold out at first, convinced the 6 Plus was too big. Got a 6 at launch last Oct. By Jan I had sold the 6 and got the Plus and haven't looked back. Took a couple weeks to get used to it. Now I'm on the 6S Plus and no turning back. Ironically the 6 feels small now. The pocketability of the Plus isn't great but it works (barely). Everything else about is though is money. Screen size, resolution, camera (OIS).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy