How is iPadOS 13.1 running on iPads with 2 GB of RAM?

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
I posted it elsewhere but didn’t get the answers I was looking for. So I’m posting it here.

I suppose most of the members here have already updated their iPads to iOS 13.1
I’m on iOS 12.3, and still not sure whether I should stay with iOS 12 a little longer or if I should go ahead and update to iOS 13.

Those who have updated (especially iPad 6 users, that’s the iPad I have), I hope they can help me with the answers I want.

1) how is the performance? Is multitasking as good as it was on iOS 12? Can the iPad (those with 2 GB of RAM) keep 4 or more heavy apps (not games) in the memory without the apps reloading? On iOS 12 I can easily jump back and forth between apps without reloads.

2) I have seen quite a few comments on YouTube, people claiming that they lost nearly 1.5 to 2 GB of storage on their iPad after updating to iOS 13. Is it true, and why? This is pretty big for me because I have the 32 GB variant.

3) If I do update, can I downgrade back to 12.4.1? Is it still being signed, and for how long?

Please share your experiences. I’m sure it will help other iPad users too who haven’t updated yet

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have iPadOS 13.1.1 running on my iPad Air 2. It's working fine. My only issue is that my iPad has 32GB. The only games I play are backgammon, gin rummy, etc. I do have a lot of photos and apps. I purchased a movie (Harry Potter) from iTunes this week and I've had to "make room for it" but it plays just fine.

As for larger games, I simply don't know. Hopefully, someone will come along soon and give you the answer you're looking for.

Potatoess

Dec 22, 2018
Visit site
I have iPadOS 13.1.1 running on my iPad Air 2. It's working fine. My only issue is that my iPad has 32GB. The only games I play are backgammon, gin rummy, etc. I do have a lot of photos and apps. I purchased a movie (Harry Potter) from iTunes this week and I've had to "make room for it" but it plays just fine.

As for larger games, I simply don't know. Hopefully, someone will come along soon and give you the answer you're looking for.

Thank you. Did you lose about one and a half GB of storage space when you updated to iPadOS 13? And how is battery performance on your Air 2 compared to iOS 12?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. Did you lose about one and a half GB of storage space when you updated to iPadOS 13?

To be completely honest, I really don't know. I didn't pay attention! I use my iPad for fluffy stuff like facebook, shopping, and iMore. I was just glad that it was eligible for the update, even though there was speculation that it might not work on the Air 2's.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I posted it elsewhere but didn’t get the answers I was looking for. So I’m posting it here.

I suppose most of the members here have already updated their iPads to iOS 13.1
I’m on iOS 12.3, and still not sure whether I should stay with iOS 12 a little longer or if I should go ahead and update to iOS 13.

Those who have updated (especially iPad 6 users, that’s the iPad I have), I hope they can help me with the answers I want.

1) how is the performance? Is multitasking as good as it was on iOS 12? Can the iPad (those with 2 GB of RAM) keep 4 or more heavy apps (not games) in the memory without the apps reloading? On iOS 12 I can easily jump back and forth between apps without reloads.

While not "apples to apples", my 9.7" IPP is on 13.1.2 official. As a photographer, I have a lot of photography apps loaded (lots of Adobe stuff) and have no problems switch back and forth between apps.

2) I have seen quite a few comments on YouTube, people claiming that they lost nearly 1.5 to 2 GB of storage on their iPad after updating to iOS 13. Is it true, and why? This is pretty big for me because I have the 32 GB variant.

I'm currently using 16 gigs of 128. All of that is cache from photo apps.

3) If I do update, can I downgrade back to 12.4.1? Is it still being signed, and for how long?

I don't think you can. Upgrades are one way only.

Please share your experiences. I’m sure it will help other iPad users too who haven’t updated yet

Overall the 9.7" IPP is pretty sweet on 13.1.2. No complaints........well, maybe one. I should have got the bigger screen size for some of my photo editing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro