How, if at all, have your Apple devices came in handy during this quarantine/self isolation time?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
How are your devices helping you? What apps are you using most or have you discovered during this time?

So I picked up the 11 Inch iPad Pro(2020) a week ago and it hasn’t really left my hands. These iPads are extremely powerful. I’ve been doing everything from personal to work from it. Playing games, watching TV, web browsing, responding to texts, responding to emails, video conferences and document creation. If I had an easy way to Remote Desktop to my work servers, I’d probably never use my MacBook Pro. I’m also hoping Apple eventually recognizes that these devices are powerful enough to not limit them to one app at a time for video conferencing.

But between my iPad, the occasional use of my MacBook Pro and my iPhones increased usage for phone calls...these devices are coming in handy.

My tops apps during this:
1. SimCity
2. Zoom
3. Gmail
4. Reddit
5. iBooks
6. Exploding Kittens
7. Call of Duty

How about you?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, my usage has not changed much at all. Sure, I’ve binged watched a few shows, but was doing that prior to COVID-19 whenever I had the time. I haven’t purchased any new Apple products, but will probably purchase an Apple MousePad soon. As for my apps, they are the same.

Tapatalk
Things
Zoom
1Password
NordVPN
Slack
Trello
Dropbox
Outlook
Discord
Banking apps
Food delivery apps
Etcetera

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the one standout is my Apple Watch. As I have mentioned in another thread, I love being able to use it to pay with something with Apple Pay. It prevents me from having to use my credit card. Since I'm working from home, I use my iPad and iPhone a great deal to check my calendar and email, when I'm not sitting in front of my work-issued laptop. I have been playing games and streaming on my iPad which I love.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been using my iPad for video calls with friends and family. Like Annie, I also love being able to pay with Apple Pay.

My most used app is probably FitOn, which syncs my phone and watch for workouts. It tracks heart rate and calorie burn and the classes are really fun. I'm almost tempted to cancel my gym membership when it opens back up.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My Apple devices have come in just as handy as they have for me in normal, everyday life, which is a compliment to Apple.

I got on the Apple Pay train a long time ago so making contactless payments has been great.

I have done slightly more FaceTime than normal but that's really the only change.

I might activate cellular on my Apple Watch since I wasn't aware it's $5 on my Verizon business plan as opposed to $10 on a consumer plan. Would be nice for the occasion that I go out for a run when I'm not working out at home already.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been using my 11 Pro Max a lot more now that I’m home more and keeping in touch with family and friends and I’m getting use to FT group calls

As far as social media I have been giving myself a weekly break from all the madness that appears in my feeds so I’ve been watching a lot of Apple TV and doing a lot of video captures

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I got on the Apple Pay train a long time ago so making contactless payments has been great.

I think Pay has far exceeded everyone’s expectations. I think it has now exceeded the use of my physical debit & credit cards online and in local retailers.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have actually used my iMac 27 machines less during this crisis, I mainly use my machine for my technical documentation business and with the automotive industry shut down, everything is on hold.

I have been using my online banking apps more because most of the locals banks have closed their lobbies and only do drive thru or ATM transactions.

I have used my iPhone 11 Pro and Blackberry Key2 a lot and as far as apps I have been using the most during this time:

iMore
Crackberry
Online Banking
Social media
BBMe
Threema
Amazon
Kroger

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm at home more often, my iPad has seen increased usage as the couch device.

My Pixel 3 keeps me in touch with friends and family through messaging, video chat, and social media. We started using the Houseparty app with my wife's siblings and their significant others to help pass the time.

My work iPhone 8 has kept me connected to co-workers and clients. Whether it's via phone, email, messaging, Jabber, WebEx, or Zoom, pretty much all my work communications run through it. The thing that's probably made the biggest difference to me during this time however, is actually the oldest Apple product I own. My 27" Thunderbolt Display was more of a luxury item when I got it years ago...something that basically turned my MacBook Pro into an iMac-like setup to allow for more comfortable usage. Since the company I work for went into work from home mode almost a month ago using VMware for remote access, it's become indispensible. I normally run dual screens at the office, and it would be extremely difficult and unproductive if it all had to be done on a single 13" notebook display.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I also just got my new 2020 iPad Pro 11” and I’m in love: everything is perfect on this one.
However my usage hasn’t really changed because I was a natural recluse long before this mess started.
I choose to live in the boonies, I prefer my interactions with wildlife and with my dog over interaction with humans, I avoid crowds like the plague and I run as many of my errands as I can online.

Where this new toy has made a difference is that when I watch movies, if I lose connection all I have to do is tap the screen and it starts again instantly, I have no idea how that’s even possible because with all my previous iPads I would get the spinning wheel and couldn’t do anything about it so this is super cool.

And I like the size better: 12.9” was a bit much for me but my man loves it so everyone is happy.

I’ve also been playing with the pencil, drawing, doodling, coloring book and taking notes, I’m still getting familiarized with all the pencil related things.

I do appreciate being able to stay connected and getting things done online, the alternative would have been a mega pain to deal with.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My church streamed it’s Good Friday service yesterday and will be streaming Easter Vigil Mass tonight! :heart:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the one standout is my Apple Watch. As I have mentioned in another thread, I love being able to use it to pay with something with Apple Pay. It prevents me from having to use my credit card. Since I'm working from home, I use my iPad and iPhone a great deal to check my calendar and email, when I'm not sitting in front of my work-issued laptop. I have been playing games and streaming on my iPad which I love.

I think ApplePay is a great point. It really eliminates the transfer of cash and the inserting your card into a terminal that other cards (possibly germ infected) have also been inserted into. That's a great point!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My Apple devices have come in just as handy as they have for me in normal, everyday life, which is a compliment to Apple.

I have done slightly more FaceTime than normal but that's really the only change.

I might activate cellular on my Apple Watch since I wasn't aware it's $5 on my Verizon business plan as opposed to $10 on a consumer plan. Would be nice for the occasion that I go out for a run when I'm not working out at home already.

I've got cellular on my Apple Watch Series 4. I love it and don't plan on going without. When it's needed, it's very handy. We occasionally have events that lead us to being out and about all day. You really have two different connected devices that allow you to extend your time away from a charger. When my phone goes, my watch typically has another day of charge left. Partner that with my AirPods and I'm always connected.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I also just got my new 2020 iPad Pro 11” and I’m in love: everything is perfect on this one.
However my usage hasn’t really changed because I was a natural recluse long before this mess started.
I choose to live in the boonies, I prefer my interactions with wildlife and with my dog over interaction with humans, I avoid crowds like the plague and I run as many of my errands as I can online.

Where this new toy has made a difference is that when I watch movies, if I lose connection all I have to do is tap the screen and it starts again instantly, I have no idea how that’s even possible because with all my previous iPads I would get the spinning wheel and couldn’t do anything about it so this is super cool.

And I like the size better: 12.9” was a bit much for me but my man loves it so everyone is happy.

I’ve also been playing with the pencil, drawing, doodling, coloring book and taking notes, I’m still getting familiarized with all the pencil related things.

I do appreciate being able to stay connected and getting things done online, the alternative would have been a mega pain to deal with.

I'm with you! My iPad Pro 11-inch (2020) is better than my first generation iPad Pro 12.9 in every way for my needs. Much more easy on the hands during use, speedy and quick. I was going to hold off for the Magic Keyboard, but I really don't need a trackpad and paying $300 for it isn't ideal if I won't really use it. So I grabbed the Folio Smart keyboard and I love it. I especially like the two angle options.

My old Pro is a backup/kids device now though it's still a very capable device.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Not doing anything different than normal, more of the same - yes
using the old gen 3 at the moment, seeing if it's still doing ok.

k1ward

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I am using Apple Pay with my watch, when ever I can. There are still a number of places that don't take Apple Pay yet, but I'm hopeful that they will see the value going forward. It is a great way to reduce the risk to both their customers AND their employees.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It’s been business as usual for me since I am essential.
Although, it is nice that I could air play the Easter Vigil to my TV.
And my Goddaughter and I, had a FaceTime chat recently.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
About the usual for me. I jumped on the Apple Pay bandwagon long ago so it's nice to be able to use "contactless payments".

slooksterpsv

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
How are your devices helping you? What apps are you using most or have you discovered during this time?

So I picked up the 11 Inch iPad Pro(2020) a week ago and it hasn’t really left my hands. These iPads are extremely powerful. I’ve been doing everything from personal to work from it. Playing games, watching TV, web browsing, responding to texts, responding to emails, video conferences and document creation. If I had an easy way to Remote Desktop to my work servers, I’d probably never use my MacBook Pro. I’m also hoping Apple eventually recognizes that these devices are powerful enough to not limit them to one app at a time for video conferencing.

How about you?

Honestly, I use my iPad Mini (3rd Gen) to do work conference calls. A lot of people comment on the clarity of the camera - which is a lot better than my newest PC's camera (Asus VivoBook 14).

My iPad is mainly used for (I do a bunch of this on my iPhone as well):
1) Streaming Services (YouTube, Netflix, Adult Swim, etc.)
2) Some games (Fishdom, Gardenscapes, Homescapes)
3) Reddit - always Reddit
4) News - Apple News because I can pick and choose what interests me (technology)
5) Online Shopping - haven't done much but I use it for it when I want to check prices or order something.
6) Paying bills
7) Texting

I have used my iPad to remote into work. It was really simple since I know what all the settings are to do so. However, unless I use an Apple Pencil or had a bluetooth mouse, its hard to tap on things I need to tap on.

iPhone is similar. My MBA 2015 I use for some light VS Code development, remote, and text messages.

Overall, my iPad is a powerhorse for doing essentially everything that I do on a daily basis.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro