How do I sync songs to my iPhone after using Apple Music?

I

iMore Question

help! how do I sync songs to my iPhone after using Apple Music?

I've been struggling with this Apple Music launced. I put it on the back burner hoping Apple would eventually solve the problem. I tried tackling this issue again tonight and I've been frustrated for hours!!

So I've been enjoying Apple Music. I've discovered new artists and have downloaded hundreds of songs/playlists for offline listening. So that parts been great.

My iTunes library consists of almost 20,000 songs. I was nervous to turn on iCloud Music Library b/c of all the horror stories I've read about.

Since using Apple Music I've been unable to transfer any of my iTunes songs on to my iPhone. (I have a lot of remixes not purchased through iTunes, CDs that were ripped and music that is not available on Apple Music). The songs that were already on my iPhone before Apple Music are still there.

Every time I try to manually add songs to my iPhone like I used to I get the message: "Some of the files were not copied to the iPhone because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this iPhone." Meaning NONE of the files were copied.

I've tried everything. Clicking the the 3 dots on the songs/playlists I want to add and then select Add to iPhone. I tried changing the iPhone settings to sync only checked songs and videos and I couldn't get that to work either. I've tried turning APPLE MUSIC and iCloud Music Library on and off in my iTunes settings, etc....

I've read lots of threads online. Some suggest turning off iCloud Music Library on my iPhone and then syncing songs through iTunes. BUT I DON'T want to lose all the new music I've discovered on Apple Music.

There must be a way to keep the new Apple Music songs I've downloaded AND continue to add songs from my iTunes library??

Please if anyone can help. I'm going insane!!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: help! how do I sync songs to my iPhone after using Apple Music?

I don't know what to tell you, to be honest. All of my ripped music is on my external hard drive and I don't use Music to combine it with Apple's music library. If what you're trying to do is currently not possible, hopefully, Apple will enhance its Music app to accommodate you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

First make a backup of all your music on an external drive.
Disconnect the external drive from your computer.
Open iTunes and enable iCloud Music Library in iTunes.
Wait for all your music to be uploaded to or matched with Music.

You will see that all songs in iTunes will be available on your phone as well. And you can save music or complete playlists for offline use on your phone if you like to save cellular data usage.

As for the horror stories, most of them are due to human error. Enjoy Music and don't let those horror stories scare you away.
In the rare case anything goes wrong, you don't have to worry anyway 'cause you have a backup already.

RLaK

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Tartarus. I enabled iCloud Music Library in iTunes as you suggested.

I see a lot of the artists and songs that were not already on my iPhone are now found in MY MUSIC. I have almost 20K songs so I'm sure it'll take a long time to load....

but now I have another question.

A lot of the new songs are shadowed out and gray. Most of these songs will never be matched and will never be available on Apple Music. Will these eventually sync automatically? Or qill they stay shadowed out and unvailable?

If so I still haven't figured out how to transfer songs from my iTunes library to my iPhone.

Thanks again for any tips.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Tartarus. I enabled iCloud Music Library in iTunes as you suggested.

I see a lot of the artists and songs that were not already on my iPhone are now found in MY MUSIC. I have almost 20K songs so I'm sure it'll take a long time to load....

Yes, that depends on your bandwidth

but now I have another question.

A lot of the new songs are shadowed out and gray. Most of these songs will never be matched and will never be available on Apple Music. Will these eventually sync automatically? Or qill they stay shadowed out and unvailable?
Songs that aren't matched will be uploaded to Music. You'll notice they won't be greyed (shadowed) out anymore.

If so I still haven't figured out how to transfer songs from my iTunes library to my iPhone.
The way of syncing to your iPhone as you used to, isn't anymore. You simple add music to iTunes and it gets matched or uploaded to Music and becomes available at the same time on any device using the same account. You simply have to save it for offline use, if you wish to listen to it without using cellular data.

Thanks again for any tips.
You're welcome, sir.

RLaK

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

thank you so much. you're the first person that explained this to me right. all of the threads in the apple support community were a mess. :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

You're welcome.
Yeah, I don't know why, but Music is something special for me. I tried Spotify, Deezer and Google Music for each 2 days and didn't like them. But somehow Apple made me enthusiastic about their service and I decided to put some effort in it to figure it all out. So far, I like it a lot.
I haven't paid for streaming music ever in my life, but I'm definitely going to do so once the trial period expires

RLaK

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

You're welcome.
Yeah, I don't know why, but Music is something special for me. I tried Spotify, Deezer and Google Music for each 2 days and didn't like them. But somehow Apple made me enthusiastic about their service and I decided to put some effort in it to figure it all out. So far, I like it a lot.
I haven't paid for streaming music ever in my life, but I'm definitely going to do so once the trial period expires

I agree Tartarus. I really like Music too. I never got into Spotify or Pandora. I've really enjoyed using Music so far. Just combining my old music collection has been frustrating. But now it seems like I'm figuring it out.

I left my computer running all night and left my iPhone connected to wifi. There are still thousands of greyed out songs and artists on my iPhone. Could this take days for Music to transfer my unmatched music collection to iCloud? I don't need to be doing anything right? I've been leaving my iPhone connected to my MacBook.... but I don't think I even need to be doing that. It should be all automatic? Right?

---

And I have another completely different question....
Now that my iTunes library is starting to sync to my iPhone is there a way to delete songs from my iPhone without deleting them from my iTunes library?? I have a lot of artists and songs that I don't need to show up on my iPhone but don't want to delete forever.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Could this take days for Music to transfer my unmatched music collection to iCloud? I don't need to be doing anything right? I've been leaving my iPhone connected to my MacBook.... but I don't think I even need to be doing that. It should be all automatic? Right?
It suffices to only have your computer running with iTunes open (in the background). Songs on you're phone will be automatically ungreyed once matching and uploading is finished.
You can see the progress in the upper right corner in iTunes on the spinning wheel.

And I have another completely different question....
Now that my iTunes library is starting to sync to my iPhone is there a way to delete songs from my iPhone without deleting them from my iTunes library?? I have a lot of artists and songs that I don't need to show up on my iPhone but don't want to delete forever.

Deleting them from your phone will delete them from iCloud Music Library as well. But the songs will remain in iTunes and you can still play them from there. You will see a broken cloud next to songs available on your iTunes but deleted from your iCloud Music Library. That broken cloud will indicate just that. Available on your iTunes but not in iCloud Music Library.

Or you can choose to make playlists like 'Playlist all' and 'Playlist iPhone' or whatever you like. That's up to you.

RLaK

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

You've been so helpful but of course I have another question. Thanks for guiding me through all of this....

You said: "You can see the progress in the upper right corner in iTunes on the spinning wheel."

Hmm.... mine doesn't appear to have a spinning wheel. So perhaps my music isn't transferring to iCloud Music.

I'm trying to attach a picture of my iTunes below

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Go to file tab in iTunes, find Library and then update iCloud Music Library

RLaK

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site

OMG. You're a genius. I've got the spinning wheel. Thanks. Hopefully this will solve everything now.

I swear I'm actually very savvy with Apple, iTunes, iPhones, my MacBook, etc. LOL.

I don't know how a normal person would ever be able to figure this out!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods