How do I switch my 3GS with my wifes iphone 4

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
She was ready for an upgrade so I ordered for her but will take it myself. The only thing is that my simcard won't fit the new phone. Can I just put her old sim card in the 3GS and cut down my simcard to fit the iPhone 4.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Just use the simcard that comes with the iPhone 4. No cutting necessary. You activate it with your account, not hers, and there's no problem.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I've heard you have to call AT&T and get them to switch the IMEI (?) to your account. I'm doing the same exact thing so I'm interested in knowing as well.

ohessyou

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Taking the shiny new phone and giving the old one to the wife, wonder if these 2 marriages will outlast the 2-year commitment with AT&T.......lol

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Taking the shiny new phone and giving the old one to the wife, wonder if these 2 marriages will outlast the 2-year commitment with AT&T.......lol

Thats what I did this year,,, and thats what the wife THINKS Im doing this year,,, although she knows the 3GS she is supposed to get is nice, she doesnt like handsmedowns,,,, so I am surprising her with a 16GB iPhone 4, while selling both her 3G and my old 3GS on eBay ,,,, :)

stumbolicious

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
So what is it exactly? I've heard call AT&T when you get the phone, physically take the phone to AT&T, and you just do it yourself during the setup. Does anyone know for sure what to do?

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
All you do is take your sim out from the 3gs and put it away in case you break your iphone 4. put your wifes sim in the 3gs and call at&t to make sure you have the correct data plan going. with the iphone 4 it does not matter who's upgrade you used. you just activate it in itunes with your phone line. simple as that.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is the info you need:
Thank you for your recent purchase of iPhone 4!

As we prepare to ship devices, we want to make sure that we set your service up the way you want it. Your iPhone 4 has a micro-SIM card that is inside the device. This micro-SIM will be activated to the upgrade eligible phone number that you used to place your order. If that is the same phone number you plan to use with your iPhone 4, you are all set. Just follow the step-by-step activation instructions that arrive with your shipment.

However, if the number you used to order your device is NOT the number you intend to use with your iPhone 4, follow these simple steps when your device arrives and an ATT representative will help you activate.

1. As soon as you receive your new iPhone 4, charge your device fully.
2. Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that received the upgrade to iPhone 4.
3. At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.
4. After speaking with the AT&T representative, you will be instructed to launch iTunes (Apple - iTunes) and connect your device.

Please call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a wireless phone if you have further questions. We're here to help ensure you have a great experience with your new device.

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't think its gonna be so simple.

I called ATT customer service to verify the procedure and the first lady said that I can't use the new sim card. She said they cant transfer a number from an old sim card to a new one. She said I would need a new micro-sim card.

The next lady I called said I could activate the new micro-sim to my number, but it would deactivate my wife's old sim, so she would need a new sim card.

A new sim card is $25, so I am definitely not interested in buying a new one. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
the new micro-sim is preinstalled! if the att rep said u need a new micro-sim then just buy a new micro-sim for $25, whats the big deal

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
ok here we go...

1. Activate new iPhone 4 in iTunes under the numbers that you placed the order
2. Call AT&T customer service and change the phones with the correct numbers (have IMEI and SIM/ICCID #s ready)
3. Wait while AT&T fumbles about doing the swap

It's easy on our end just frustrating waiting for them to make everything work properly.

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Well I got it done and it didn't cost me anything, but it took a long time. I got to the att store and they had no idea what to make of it. It was the first one they've seen. They didn't have itunes 9.2 so they couldn't activate it, but they were able to switch the phone numbers, so I could just take it home and activate it myself. First they copied my 3gs number to the iphone 4, then they copied my wife's blackberry number (with no data plan) to the 3gs. It was a good thing I brought the blackberry with me because they said for iphones and blackberries, they have to have the actual device with them in order to transfer the numbers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh