How do I setup my iPhone with a US Number and still receive calls Abroad?

I

iMore Question

How do I setup my iPhone with a US Number and still receive calls when traveling abroad? And not pay lots of fees? (Forwarding apps?)

My wife and I will be traveling abroad and we want our friends and family to easily get in touch with us. Is there a way that I can setup something on our phones that let people call our numbers or another number all local to the US that would then ring our phones abroad?

I am also thinking that we would need to switch our sims out to local sims when we get to where we are traveling. We don't want to give AT&T anymore money that we must.

Thank you!
Eric

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If your friends and family and iPhones, iPads and Macs then all of you can use the call feature of the FaceTime app while connected to Wi-Fi.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How do I setup my iPhone with a US Number and still receive calls when traveling abroad? And not pay lots of fees? (Forwarding apps?)

My wife and I will be traveling abroad and we want our friends and family to easily get in touch with us. Is there a way that I can setup something on our phones that let people call our numbers or another number all local to the US that would then ring our phones abroad?

I am also thinking that we would need to switch our sims out to local sims when we get to where we are traveling. We don't want to give AT&T anymore money that we must.

Thank you!
Eric

I’m from the Netherlands and currently in Turkey on vacation.
I have a Turkish local SIM card and friends and family that want to get in touch with me either call me on FaceTime (Audio) or via WhatsApp on my Dutch number.
By doing so we both don’t pay anything extra.

There is also Skype and some other chat apps that allow for voice calls.

Enjoy your trip abroad.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
When I traveled abroad I always used WiFi which most hotels have, but be aware it’s not free like the hotels in the USA typically are. I also used Skype which was a great option when talking to my business associates while I was tracking overseas.

I don’t know where you are traveling to, but I have T Mobile which worked great when I was in Europe because it’s Deutsche Telecom over there and there was no extra fees and I used my US number and never missed a call while I was over there, have a safe trip.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2