How do I set a ringtone for my entire contact list?

I

iMore Question

How to set ringtone for entire contact list.

I keep getting robo calls on my Iphone. I tried using 'do-not-disturb' option to only accept calls from people in my contact list, but that feature mutes calls and text alerts from people that are in my contact list as well.

I would like to assign a standard ringtone for each entry in my contact list, then set a unique ringtone (silent) as the default ringtone that would be used for anyone that IS NOT in my contact list. Is there a way to go through and do a mass update of the contact list assiging a ringtone to each entry? I have a iphone 6 with IOS 9.3.1

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to set ringtone for entire contact list.

Try this: Put people you want to ring thru all the time on the VIP list within contacts... set up do not disturb to always allow VIPs... problem solved.

Also... if the spam callers come through with callerID, use call blocking on those...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Each separate contact card has the option to set a specific Ringtone. Set one for each contact, and the rest will use the default.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Try this: Put people you want to ring thru all the time on the VIP list within contacts... set up do not disturb to always allow VIPs... problem solved.

Also... if the spam callers come through with callerID, use call blocking on those...

VIP? I think it's "favorites".

jboswald

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site

I have several hundred contact entries.. It's not practical to set it one by one. I was asking if there is a way to do a mass change to add the ringtone. It's not possible to use call blocking to prevent the robo calls, they change their callerid each time to get around that. (That's what makes it so annoying!). Likewise - the option to add people to the VIP list. Is there a way to add the entire contact list to the VIP list?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I have several hundred contact entries.. It's not practical to set it one by one. I was asking if there is a way to do a mass change to add the ringtone.

It's not possible to do that.

It's not possible to use call blocking to prevent the robo calls, they change their callerid each time to get around that. (That's what makes it so annoying!).

Your options are to either change your number or add it to the National Do No Call Registry and wait it out.

https://www.donotcall.gov

Is there a way to add the entire contact list to the VIP list?

I don't think so. At least not that I can find.

kehnee

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site

It's not possible to do that.

Your options are to either change your number or add it to the National Do No Call Registry and wait it out.

https://www.donotcall.gov

I don't think so. At least not that I can find.

If you know the numbers the robo calls are made from, Save them (Create a New Contact) as they come in. Then assign the ringtone you want (silent) or just block them. If they are unknown, try and do the same. Every time an Unknown call comes in and you have it saved on your phone, it should respond to whatever ringtones or sounds or anything you do to it.

It's a thought. Give it a try. Curious to know if it works.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I Every time an Unknown call comes in and you have it saved on your phone, it should respond to whatever ringtones or sounds or anything you do to it.

It's a thought. Give it a try. Curious to know if it works.

I personally do not get calls like that on my cell phone. Never have on any of my numbers.

As soon as I get a new phone number, landline or cell, I add it to the Do Not Call Registry.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods