How do I reset an iPod Touch without a computer?

I

iMore Question

Looking to do a factory reset on an iPod Touch, without a computer. Is this possible?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible as a thought a trusted friend that has iTunes or a library that has https which designates a secured site to set it up and then the only problem if this is where you don't have a computer you will never keep it up to sync or add or remove anything. Just trying to think outside the box for you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Still do not know how to get past the demand that I connect to iTunes. It will not do anything - just shows that screen.

After the process if erasing all contents and settings was complete, you should have been presented with the welcome screen, and soon followed by a prompt that gave you the option to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup or set it up as new. Selecting the iCloud backup or the set up as new option, unless I'm mistaken, should allow you to set up your device without iTunes. Do you have a screenshot of where you are stuck?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
After the process if erasing all contents and settings was complete, you should have been presented with the welcome screen, and soon followed by a prompt that gave you the option to restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup or set it up as new. Selecting the iCloud backup or the set up as new option, unless I'm mistaken, should allow you to set up your device without iTunes. Do you have a screenshot of where you are stuck?

All of the being true I have never seen it say where do
You want to restore from ie Your answer about iTunes or iCloud. Only from the word backup or new. If I am wrong sorry but I just have never see it ask about what backup and give you a choice. Sorry if I a. Wrong on that point.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All of the being true I have never seen it say where do
You want to restore from ie Your answer about iTunes or iCloud. Only from the word backup or new. If I am wrong sorry but I just have never see it ask about what backup and give you a choice. Sorry if I a. Wrong on that point.

You're right, but when you select backup, you are presented with the aforementioned backup choices.

DanTDavies

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot - but it is just the graphic of a white usb connector with an arrow pointing towards the word iTunes.

I did the erase content and settings, then it presented me with that screen. I would like to just reset it to factory original. I do not understand why it needs iTunes for that! So I would like to get past that screen and just get it as if it were new.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot - but it is just the graphic of a white usb connector with an arrow pointing towards the word iTunes.

I did the erase content and settings, then it presented me with that screen. I would like to just reset it to factory original. I do not understand why it needs iTunes for that! So I would like to get past that screen and just get it as if it were new.

First of all, something apparently went wrong. You should not have gotten to what appears to be the recovery screen after choosing to erase all contents and settings. You should have been greeted with the welcome screen. If you are indeed at the recovery screen you can try holding both the power and home buttons simultaneously until the device shuts off and then press the power button to turn the device back on. If it goes back into recovery mode, you will have no choice but to connect the device to iTunes to restore it.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What generation is your iPod touch and what iOS version where/are you running?

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch (beta testing) or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

DanTDavies

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Done! I went over to my daughter's and used her computer, which has iTunes on it. As soon as the iPod saw iTunes, it finished - a matter of seconds. Still do not know why it needed that step, but at least it is done. I was refurbishing this older iPod to donate it.

Thanks to all who posted comments and advice - it is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Done! I went over to my daughter's and used her computer, which has iTunes on it. As soon as the iPod saw iTunes, it finished - a matter of seconds. Still do not know why it needed that step, but at least it is done. I was refurbishing this older iPod to donate it.

Thanks to all who posted comments and advice - it is greatly appreciated.

Dan

You're very welcome, and thank you for the update.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro