How do I get my 5S to read my texts over Bluetooth?

MDak280

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I just got my iPhone 5S about a week ago. Switching from Windows Phone so this is my first time on an iOS device. I'm having trouble however getting my phone to read my texts to me while connected to my car via Bluetooth. I have a Nissan Maxima 2007. I paired my iPhone with it but Siri doesn't read texts I receive. Does anyone know why? It worked perfectly with my Nokia Lumia 925.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Siri, in and of itself, can read text messages. Having said that, whether or not your vehicle's Bluetooth function interferes with that ability, I can't say. The Voice feature in my car sounds like Siri, but it is not. Have you tried using the device's home button instead of the vehicle's voice feature button to have Siri read your text messages over the vehicle's speakers?

MDak280

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Siri, in and of itself, can read text messages. Having said that, whether or not your vehicle's Bluetooth function interferes with that ability, I can't say. The Voice feature in my car sounds like Siri, but it is not. Have you tried using the device's home button instead of the vehicle's voice feature button to have Siri read your text messages over the vehicle's speakers?

No I haven't tried that. I'm sure that would work but it's not ideal. On my Lumia it automatically asked me if I wanted to hear a text that I got while driving; I didn't have to touch the phone. Oh well, it works fine for phone calls that's the important part.

FinancialP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just go to the bluetooth settings on the iPhone and clicked the "i" icon next to The bluetooth device you want the notification for under devices then toggle the "Show Notification"

FinancialP

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The only option is "forget this device"

Your car should already be set up for Siri but there is another way.

Go to settings, general, accessibility, then VoiceOver and scroll down and select speak notifications

aja4edem.jpg

rogerhawes

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever resolve your text reading in the car. I have just changed to an iPhone from a Lumia 925 and miss that capability?

Cheers

cpreb

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I have an iphone 6s and it doesn't have the feature "show notification". iphones are not equipped yet to receive text messaging through bluetooth in cars, especially for Toyota's. I can't speak for other vehicles.

Cheryl Fletcher

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2012 Toyota Camry and I can get the notifications to pop up on my display in the car but it won't read them to me. I have the iPhone 5S. I would really like the texts to be read to me automatically as they did with my Windows phone but haven't figured that out yet. I have tried the voice over feature and that does not work either. Car Play does not work in my car.