How do I fix, No Visual Voicemail w/iOS11?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
So...anybody else here using Verizon for their provider getting Visual Voicemail transcription with iOS11? It's a huge item for me since I receive TONS of calls & voicemails a day.

I've searched, and there's seemingly no way to manually toggle it on. Either something I'm missing...or Verizon hasn't come to the party yet.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'm pretty sure that I've had VVM transcription for quite a while on Verizon on my 6s - it happened on iOS 10 IIRC. I received a voice mail last night while I was driving (unlike you, I hardly ever get calls, so don't get many voicemails; so, a lucky chance) and it was definitely transcribed. All of the voicemails on my phone now are transcribed, going back to April, FWIW.

Transcription requires an iPhone 6s/6s+ or later, FWIW. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207181

nogutsnoglory

May 6, 2013
Visit site
re:

So...anybody else here using Verizon for their provider getting Visual Voicemail transcription with iOS11? It's a huge item for me since I receive TONS of calls & voicemails a day.

I've searched, and there's seemingly no way to manually toggle it on. Either something I'm missing...or Verizon hasn't come to the party yet.

I don’t see VVM on my iPhone 7 on iOS 11. Just see a button labeled “call voicemail.” Not liking that!

dougfunk

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
re:

I had this problem also. i just did a hard reset on my 7+ (volume down + power button at the same time for 10 seconds. phone shuts down. wait a few seconds and power it back on)
my voicemails came back after i restarted the phone

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

I have this same issue & I think it was a beta with iOS 10. Not sure it’s available in 11, which is extremely annoying!!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

I had this problem also. i just did a hard reset on my 7+ (volume down + power button at the same time for 10 seconds. phone shuts down. wait a few seconds and power it back on)
my voicemails came back after i restarted the phone

I think the OP is referring to the transcription, not the actual voicemail.

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
re:

I had this problem yesterday after upgrading. Instead of visual voicemail, it just offered me to dial the voicemail number. I restarted the phone and it went back to normal. I just confirmed with a test message that transcription is working too.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

I had this problem yesterday after upgrading. Instead of visual voicemail, it just offered me to dial the voicemail number. I restarted the phone and it went back to normal. I just confirmed with a test message that transcription is working too.

I have nothing just voicemails that I’ll probably never listen to. Transcription is very convenient & I’ve gotten so use to reading my messages, since I’ve never been one to actually listen to them lol

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

Ah ok, and yes the program I am suggesting DOES have transcription but only at the professional level, which is a pay service. So if Verizon provides this for free go with Verizon!

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
No VZW Visual Voicemail w/iOS11

I spent 2-hours in my VZW store...where, btw every rep had VVM working on their iPhones...and spoke to two VZW senior tech support people, and two Apple support people...and did 10-12 hard resets on my phone before I left...and accomplished NOTHING. So I went home and called the Apple service rep " Maegan" who (to her credit, she was sweet & patient...did all she could) waited while I backed up, wiped & installed a fresh iOS11 onto my iPhone. Guess what...I still got no VVM!! I am a long way from being happy tonight.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
re:

I spent 2-hours in my VZW store...where, btw every rep had VVM working on their iPhones...and spoke to two VZW senior tech support people, and two Apple support people...and did 10-12 hard resets on my phone before I left...and accomplished NOTHING. So I went home and called the Apple service rep " Maegan" who (to her credit, she was sweet & patient...did all she could) waited while I backed up, wiped & installed a fresh iOS11 onto my iPhone. Guess what...I still got no VVM!! I am a long way from being happy tonight.

I just got a carrier update. I wonder if it has anything to do with your voicemail issue.

nogutsnoglory

May 6, 2013
Visit site
re:

You may want to call VZW and have them check the details of your account. I did that last night and they said that my VVM was not turned on. The rep turned it on and I have my VVM back! This happened to me before where the VZW system randomly turned my VVM off.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
re:

You may want to call VZW and have them check the details of your account. I did that last night and they said that my VVM was not turned on. The rep turned it on and I have my VVM back! This happened to me before where the VZW system randomly turned my VVM off.

Just got off the phone with yet another VZW tech dude "Jeremy" who, although he was exceptionally nice...did nothing at all for me.

I am still not recieving visual transcription of my voicemails...BUT now they are showing up in my Messages application. Seriously.

I am going to call "Meagan" at Apple Support tomorrow like she invited me to and see what Round 3 of this continuing saga brings.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez...!!:straight-face::cant-watch:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

Just got off the phone with yet another VZW tech dude "Jeremy" who, although he was exceptionally nice...did nothing at all for me.

I am still not recieving visual transcription of my voicemails...BUT now they are showing up in my Messages application. Seriously.

I am going to call "Meagan" at Apple Support tomorrow like she invited me to and see what Round 3 of this continuing saga brings.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez...!!:straight-face::cant-watch:

Wow! Keep us posted

shultgre

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
re:

I had the same problem. I am with AT&T and have an iPhone 6s, so that may make a difference. I typically turn Suri functions off because it drains the battery. After upgrading to IOS 11 I tried everything that I saw on the forums such as: Airplane mode on/off, reset, reset of ntwk settings. None of these worked. The key I found is to go to Settings> Suri & Search >turn on "Press Home for Siri". Then do a reset (hold home button and on/off button at the same time for 10 seconds). Once I did this, the visual voice mail worked again for me.

BTW, I went back in to the Siri & Search and turned that funtion off again. Visual voice mail still works...........Hope this helps you.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
re:

Ok, that's a feature of premium visual voicemail at Verizon, or the voicemail to text feature, both of which costs $2.99/month, and which you do NOT need. You just need the free "iPhone Visual Voicemail" feature on your plan.

See https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...support/voice-mail-comparison/&token=yT3zz-Zq

I am getting VVM on Verizon, and it comes with transcriptions, and I don't pay $2.99/month.

Are you prepaid Verizon, or do you have a normal Verizon postpaid plan, BTW? I have postpaid, and I wonder if things are different for prepaid?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods