How do I fix my huge "Documents & Data" storage problem.

NYKrumrie

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I have an iP5S. 32 GB. running 9.3 iOS. I tried to upgrade to iOS 10 today but iTunes said I didn't have the storage space. I looked on my phone it says Capacity 26.5 -Available 342MB!! I was shocked. I plugged the phone into my PC & launched iTunes. It says I have 2.3 GB free. So I'm not sure why my phone & iTunes say 2 different things. But the bigger issue (literally :) is "Documents & Data" is almost 9GB!! I don't even know what is considered "Documents & Data". According to iTunes I have:
Audio= 2.94GB, Video= 36mb, Photo= 5.90GB, Apps 4.72GB, Docs & Data= 8.50GB, Others=1.87GB, Free=2.60.
I googled to see if I could figure out the problem. I kept finding posts stating it could be the apps I have that store data as they are used & its the data stored from my apps that is creating the huge Doc & Data storage rate. But if that's the case what is the "Apps= 4.72GB" amount mean if not the size of the app files & their data? I spent a couple hours going thru all my pictures to clear out ones I don't need. I did the same for videos. I do not use the email app on my phone so no emails are stored on the device. The only thing I can think of that is causing this huge data hog are my txt messages. Some have pictures & video attached to them. My txts probably go back years but do you think txts even with pics & some video could stack up to almost 9 GB?! If so how do I trim that number down without having to do thru every txt one by one & deleting them? Thanks!