How do I find owner of stolen iPhone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iMore Question

I recently bought an iPhone 5 from eBay, iCloud locked. I got to the iCloud activation screen and there was a note saying that the phone was stolen and there was a number provided to call. It said the phone was locked and had been reported stolen. I called and texted the number a few times, waiting for about a week. I have had no reply yet and now I have no solution. I tried going on T-Mobile.com (T-Mobile is the carrier of the phone), and seeing if there was any way they could put me into contact with the owner. This did not work either. I can't resell it on eBay now obviously, and I can't return it and I have no one to send it too. I think I'm screwed but there has to be some way I can resolve this. Please help!!!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm screwed but there has to be some way I can resolve this.
File a claim with eBay against the person that sold you the phone... if they did not note the device was iCloud locked they committed fraud against you. There's nothing you can do with the phone.... it's a paperweight.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The carrier was your best option. You COULD try the police but it is unlikely they would get involved in such a small crime. I appreciate that you are trying to do the right thing. Your best bet at this point MIGHT be to try to sell the phone as a "bad" ESN phone or non working parts only phone at minimal cost to recoup some of your loss. I believe ebay would allow you to sell it as non working. HOWEVER please double check their rules. It still has resale value for parts, but it's days as a phone are probably over.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought an iPhone 5 from eBay, iCloud locked. I got to the iCloud activation screen and there was a note saying that the phone was stolen and there was a number provided to call. It said the phone was locked and had been reported stolen. I called and texted the number a few times, waiting for about a week. I have had no reply yet and now I have no solution. I tried going on T-Mobile.com (T-Mobile is the carrier of the phone), and seeing if there was any way they could put me into contact with the owner. This did not work either. I can't resell it on eBay now obviously, and I can't return it and I have no one to send it too. I think I'm screwed but there has to be some way I can resolve this. Please help!!!

Resolve what? Are you planning on charging the device's owner, if found, price, you paid for it off of eBay? More than likely, the previous owner has replaced that particular iPhone, especially being that you do not know how long it has been stolen. You're not going to get around the activation lock. You have a paperweight and an unfortunate experience. But another iPhone from a reputable source and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.