How Do I Clean Grime from Around My White iphone's Home Button?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I may be a little OCD but I like keeping my things in clean, tip top shape. A little annoyance that I can't seem to remedy is a minuscule bit of grime around the home button. I can't seem to get rid of it and I notice it every time I look at the home button. I've tried blasting it out of there with a can of air along with a screen friendly cleaner and I can't seem to get rid of it. Anyone have any ideas? I know, I need to seek psychological help lol!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would think and would have suggested the screen friendly as you put it cleaner they have along with a cue tip. Anything else I think I would have to pass on and go for the OCD help you were talking about. i am only kidding you on the last part :) but there are just certain things to get over although I am certain you don't want to hear that. i have heard people tell me they have used the Mr. Clean magic eraser for their white iPhone with great sucess so you might think about that. Good luck with you dirt. :)

dannejanne

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Another option is to take off the screen and then the power button and clean it. not that many screws I believe and if you're not scared of those kind of operations.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I got something on my Home button while at work. I took a very small Alcohol pad and wiped around and on the home button itself. Looks good as new now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Power the iPhone down and use a small alcohol wipe or a paper towel with some rubbing alcohol poured onto it (nothing too saturated)...it's important to do it with the iPhone powered down though so you don't risk damage internally to electrical components.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
is the magic eraser a good thing to use on an iphone 5? :raised-eyebrow:

I use the Magic Eraser all the time to clean my MacBook, and it works like a charm, however, I've never used it to clean my iPhones with and I'm not sure I'd trust it for cleaning around the home button because it is prone to tearing and could cause little bits of it to get between the crevices of the home button and defeat its purpose.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I got something on my Home button while at work. I took a very small Alcohol pad and wiped around and on the home button itself. Looks good as new now.
I was actually going to mention a small alcohol wipe but thought against it because of the alcohol but now that I know it works, TY for the advice.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
is the magic eraser a good thing to use on an iphone 5? :raised-eyebrow:
The reason I mentioned magic eraser is because 'D mentioned way back when we had a discussions under hardware about him keeping he MBP clean and I remembered that. I think you would be safe it it works for him on the MacBook. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Another option is to take off the screen and then the power button and clean it. not that many screws I believe and if you're not scared of those kind of operations.
Sorry bit would never go though all that trouble for the dirt the OP is talking about. Too many things can happen and go wrong. I would rather use the magic eraser.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Just too be clear this is a very minuscule about of discoloration. Visible only because its the white iPhone. I may start by trying the Q tip suggestion and see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI.This is no longer an issue as I had my phone replaced at an Apple Store today do to a technical issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro