How can I get Siri to record my voice as a memo with Carplay?

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
How can I get Siri to record my voice as a memo with Carplay? I took a bunch of notes, while driving with Siri on Carplay and she can't listen for anything. How can I have her just keep the audio with my notes on Carplay?

I've lost many reminders to her terrible transcription.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you say, "Record my voice", Siri will initiate the Voice Memo app, but it cannot initiate the recording - at least not to my knowledge.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So that means I have to take my hand off the wheel and look at my phone? That's safe of Apple to do...

Edit: yes, of course, I don't *have* to grab the phone. Just Apple feeling their dictation is so perfect they wouldn't include the actual recording bugs me.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Pull over and stop. Then you will be much safer in the whole process.

Right. But tbh I was asking how to use carplay. If I have to pull over what is the point of carplay? I want a feature to work, not to avoid said feature. I'd want a note taking app that I can talk to my car with.

At the moment, I press the button on my steering wheel without looking away, say "When I get home, remind me to call John" Siri then reminds me to "ball Mon", so there is no point if I can't get the audio recording, hence my question.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So that means I have to take my hand off the wheel and look at my phone? That's safe of Apple to do...
The capabilities and improvements of Siri and other assistive services are ongoing. None of them are perfect for EVERY usage case. Still, don't use the "I have to take my hand off the wheel" excuse when you probably take your hand off the wheel while eating and/or drinking. :cool:
Edit: yes, of course, I don't *have* to grab the phone. Just Apple feeling their dictation is so perfect they wouldn't include the actual recording bugs me.
You feel that way because it's an option you want badly, and although that ability would be quite beneficial, in my opinion, that doesn't mean its important to everyone else. Anyway, maybe that function will be incorporated into Siri with the next major iOS release.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The capabilities and improvements of Siri and other assistive services are ongoing. None of them are perfect for EVERY usage case. Still, don't use the "I have to take my hand off the wheel" excuse when you probably take your hand off the wheel while eating and/or drinking. :cool:
You feel that way because it's an option you want badly, and although that ability would be quite beneficial, in my opinion, that doesn't mean its important to everyone else. Anyway, maybe that function will be incorporated into Siri with the next major iOS release.

Oh, ok. So we're making generalizations now? "Still, don't use the "I have to take my hand off the wheel" excuse when you probably take your hand off the wheel while eating and/or drinking." I don't since I don't eat in my car. I don't have to prove that to you, as I don't care if you believe me or not to be honest.

I like how I come here for help since something Apple isn't working, and I get attacked. I mean, to be honest, if you don't have a suggestion for an app that does this, or a way to make it work, I don't get why someone would answer...

My point is, if you haven't tried CarPlay, Apple is trying really hard to make it 100% hands free, and it doesn't make sense that they read my texts to me before replying, but can't read the reminders before saving, or save the audio at the very least. This isn't a big feature to those who don't have CarPlay, but to those who do, and lose reminders to intelligible nonsense, Apple has dropped the ball.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh, ok. So we're making generalizations now? "Still, don't use the "I have to take my hand off the wheel" excuse when you probably take your hand off the wheel while eating and/or drinking." I don't since I don't eat in my car. I don't have to prove that to you, as I don't care if you believe me or not to be honest.

I like how I come here for help since something Apple isn't working, and I get attacked. I mean, to be honest, if you don't have a suggestion for an app that does this, or a way to make it work, I don't get why someone would answer...
That is not me attacking you. My point is that taking a hand off the wheel is not an excuse when drivers, in general, frequently use one hand for non-driving purposes.

My point is, if you haven't tried CarPlay, Apple is trying really hard to make it 100% hands free, and it doesn't make sense that they read my texts to me before replying, but can't read the reminders before saving, or save the audio at the very least. This isn't a big feature to those who don't have CarPlay, but to those who do, and lose reminders to intelligible nonsense, Apple has dropped the ball.
My car indeed has CarPlay of which I do use, and as I stated above, the "capabilities and improvements..." are ongoing. I also stated that the ability you mentioned "would be quite beneficial, in my opinion". Just because Siri is not up to your expectations at the moment, it doesn't mean it won't be in the near future.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My bad for taking it personally then. Thought I also mentioned app suggestions that would do this hands free. It's not something I could do as easy as picking up the phone to talk to though, since I'd have to unplug then hope I hold the button long enough as I don't like this beepless Siri (she beeps on carplay but not in my hand so I occasionally don't start talking to her soon enough handheld, different issue).

So if anyone could suggest a carplay app to take notes that'd help as well.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone a lot in the car. Even if I had CarPlay built in I'd touch my phone for stuff CarPlay wouldn't be able to do.
The only times I don't ever touch my phone, car stereo or even my nose is when I'm driving faster than 100mph.

This stuff about 'Taking hands of the wheel' has been greatly exaggerated by insecure people. There are often situations on the road where it's completely justified to pay a second or 2 less attention on the road. Think about highways with almost no traffic at a certain time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal