How bad is the fan on the MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2015)?

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm about to get a new MacBook Pro for work, and it's going to be either the 13" with 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM or the 15" with 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM. I haven't decided that yet since it depends on how often I will have to fly to Europe. One question I do ask myself though is how bad the fan on the 15" model is, especially compared to the 13" MacBook Pro Retina. I've had the first 13" MBPr model (2012) and was highly satisfied with it - the fan pretty much never kicked in. Since I'm incredibly sensitive to noise even the slightest fan noise drives me crazy, thus the question: how's the fan on the 15" MBPr with AMD GPU? And how's the one without the AMD GPU, is there any difference? I know for sure I won't need a dedicated GPU so I'm tempted to go with the base model with Intel IGP and a larger SSD since I will need both RAM and storage space for virtualization.

erichards2

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi mj0, I can't speak for the 15", but I have a newer (2015 version) 13" macbook pro. I typically use my macbook pro for school work and video play back; I've never had the fan speed very fast unless the laptop was in a bad heating environment (sitting on my bed, etc). It runs virtually silent unless doing some major processing (iMovie rendering, gaming, etc). If you are looking to do some major processing this the 13", the fan noise may get a bit annoying when the mac heats up.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm about to get a new MacBook Pro for work, and it's going to be either the 13" with 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM or the 15" with 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM. I haven't decided that yet since it depends on how often I will have to fly to Europe. One question I do ask myself though is how bad the fan on the 15" model is, especially compared to the 13" MacBook Pro Retina. I've had the first 13" MBPr model (2012) and was highly satisfied with it - the fan pretty much never kicked in. Since I'm incredibly sensitive to noise even the slightest fan noise drives me crazy, thus the question: how's the fan on the 15" MBPr with AMD GPU? And how's the one without the AMD GPU, is there any difference? I know for sure I won't need a dedicated GPU so I'm tempted to go with the base model with Intel IGP and a larger SSD since I will need both RAM and storage space for virtualization.

Hello, I have the 2015 MacBook Pro with 16gb Ram and 512 SSD and the fan only comes on when your are pushing the processor. That's the only time I really hear it.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
To add to the above comments, I haven't experienced the fans turning on at all when doing everyday tasks like web browsing, YouTube, or office work. The only time they start up is when I edit/render HD videos in Final Cut Pro or converting videos.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
How bad is the fan on the MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2015)?

I'm using the 15" with the 512GB SSD and AMD graphics. If the applications used require more RAM or graphics, the fan will be audible but not until so loud unless you max it out.

Still, it's an awesome machine!

dionhan

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I have a macbook pro mid 2014. I think the 2015 model has the same fan. The fan is really good. The macbook is always quiet. Only when I run like twenty programs the same time you hear it.

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I have the late 2013 with the nVIDIA chipset and unless I am doing something like running Handbrake which sends all 8 CPU threads to almost 100% i never hear the fan.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the 2015 15" 2.5GHZ with the 16GB RAM and the 512GB SSD. I don't do anything to terribly processor intensive on it besides converting MKV videos using iFlicks so that I can watch them on my ATV2 though iTunes on my Mac. The fan will speed up to the maximum speeds while doing this.

I have also noticed that when scrolling through my Facebook feed for several minutes, the fans will tend to speed up to their maximum as well untill I quit scrolling. Same thing will happen with Instagram if I scroll through someones photos for several minutes.

Sometimes while watching a video on a website will make the fans speed up as well.

Since my MBP also has the dGPU, when I open the photos app on the MBP, the fans will speed up on it and will only die down once I close that app and the graphice card switches back to the integrated one.

They do get pretty annoying sometimes.

A month after buying this MBP, I went out and also bought a new 2012 13" MBP. Although it is much slower at doing things mainly due to the processor and lack of SSD, it is a much quieter machine and many times because of this, I prefer to use it.

I only use my two MBPs at home so in my room, it is always quite noticeable when the fans speed up on the 2015. It can get quite annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2