HomePod mini Only Plays 1 Song With "Hey Siri"

joenspa

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
If I tell my HomePod Mini “Hey Siri plays some music” it plays one song and the same song every time.
I was on the road and created a Home automation that played "Goodnight" by The Beatles at 10pm every night. Worked great.
At some point I deleted that automation and somewhere around that time whenever I said "Hey Siri play some music" it just plays "Goodnight" and then stops.
I have reset to factory defaults no less than 5 times and and it still does it.
I just deleted my Siri History in Home and no change.
I check and it has the latest software version.
I cans till stream to it but I rather have back the feature where I say "Hey Siri play some music" and it plays a variety of music I like for hours on end. Any help before trashing this thing would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a playlist containing more than one song? Is the song you referenced the only song in your music library?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I love the HomePods but the integration with Siri is severely lacking compared to Google and Alexa. I think it’s mostly Siri who’s abilities lag behind other similar services.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
What I believe is happening is that Siri is resuming your previous playlist, which contains a single song.

What you can try is "Play the 100 most listened songs in Canada", and it should start playing a much longer playlist. :)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
What I believe is happening is that Siri is resuming your previous playlist, which contains a single song.

What you can try is "Play the 100 most listened songs in Canada", and it should start playing a much longer playlist. :)

Why though? It’s a new request.

I used to be able to say “Hey Google, stream (any online radio station) and it would work.
If I say the same thing to Siri it says “ Now streaming ______” and nothing happens. It’s like talking to a rock.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
HomePod mini Only Plays 1 Song With "Hey Siri"

Why though? It’s a new request.

I used to be able to say “Hey Google, stream (any online radio station) and it would work.
If I say the same thing to Siri it says “ Now streaming ______” and nothing happens. It’s like talking to a rock.

I can only hypothesize, but it could be because it resumes playing from the previous device.

When I tried last night, it powered on my Apple TV HD and resumed what the Apple TV was playing. Even when I asked for the Canadian Top 100, it started playing from the Apple TV even if it was the HomePod that filled the Siri request.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Re: HomePod mini Only Plays 1 Song With "Hey Siri"

I can only hypothesize, but it could be because it resumes playing from the previous device.

When I tried last night, it powered on my Apple TV HD and resumed what the Apple TV was playing. Even when I asked for the Canadian Top 100, it started playing from the Apple TV even if it was the HomePod that filled the Siri request.

That’s horrible.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

That’s horrible.

That’s the behaviour I personally need, so I won’t complain.

The screen that the Apple TV is connected to doesn’t have any speakers, even if it reports as having them.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

That’s the behaviour I personally need, so I won’t complain.

The screen that the Apple TV is connected to doesn’t have any speakers, even if it reports as having them.

Well that works out well for you then.

I'm finding inconsistencies such as not always turning the lights off when asked. Or turning one off but not the other. Or not streaming a radio station when asked. It's maddening.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’ve run into a couple of HomePod Siri AM issues similar to what the OP mentions, they can be worked out though one needed patience I sometime lack. But IME Hey Google perfection is a myth, your otherwise experience noted (IME Voice assistant perfection doesn’t yet exist. IME for what it does, Alexa is best). But you can’t force a square peg in a round hole. What Hey Google understands/responds to and does isn’t what Siri must/may understand or respond to->does. For a lot of people, no matter how many times they ask ‘Hey Google where’s my phone’, they won’t necessarily get a good answer. These are just product limitations. Yes, IME Siri is more product limited most specifically for in depth questions or Friday night post Happy Hour, ahem, ‘questions’. For whatever reason, some of these requests of Siri gets no response. But learning what verbiage she’ll respond to will get good results including AM playback.

The OP will need to do some troubleshooting steps to identify specifically where the issue lives. While it sounds like a cloud issue (since he deleted HomePod and readied it5 times), it is tough to be sure. What ED7789 suggests is a good start to kickstart it. Having tech sometimes requires troubleshooting. But if OP pays for AM, I’d take it to Apple Support. If I pay for a service I expect the provider to fix the issue if HomePod is reset and online according to Home app, Apple should fix the AM side.

joenspa

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
OP here. Basically no change. I can ask Siri to play different things and it plays them. I can ask for different genres, artists or whatever and it does that. However if I say "Hey Siri play some music" I still get "Goodnight" by The Beatles. That and nothing else. I think I have tried all the suggestions above but no luck. I was hoping to get another HomePod Mini for my bedroom but maybe it will be an Alexa box. I am becoming less and less of a fan boy. Thanks for all your input.