HomeKit Camera

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I know HomeKit is still in its infancy but I still think cameras would be the way forward.

However, one feature everyone seems to overlook is recording.
With Apple TV acting as a hub it would be amazing if I got a notification on my phone if a camera detects movement and then the clip is saved to my ICloud Photo Library via Apple TV or if I don’t use Apple TV it uses a set amount of space on the ATV for playback later.

Secure, convenient, easy to do and potentially a tool for capturing evidence of bad guys (or pets walking around)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can see that happening in the very near future. By the way, have you submitted that idea to Apple via it’s feedback option?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In a world where people are taping over their TV’s and even sometimes their smartphone cameras over with stickers and tapes, it will be very hard to make this a mainstream thing.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I can see that happening in the very near future. By the way, have you submitted that idea to Apple via it’s feedback option?

Yes I have as have a few others who also like the idea.
Since the TV is always on and links to all my accounts it does make sense to start saving locally as well as uploading to iCloud.

In a world where people are taping over their TV’s and even sometimes their smartphone cameras over with stickers and tapes, it will be very hard to make this a mainstream thing.

I disagree. I know more people with Nest cams or other cameras in and out side of their houses than I do people who are putting tape on the camera of a device.

Let’s also remember that Apple is very well known for privacy so will be able to boast that fact.

However, cameras are expensive as are Apple TVs and add the word HomeKit and you double the price as well.
In my eyes that will be the main hurdle. .

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have as have a few others who also like the idea.
Since the TV is always on and links to all my accounts it does make sense to start saving locally as well as uploading to iCloud.

I disagree. I know more people with Nest cams or other cameras in and out side of their houses than I do people who are putting tape on the camera of a device.

Let’s also remember that Apple is very well known for privacy so will be able to boast that fact.

However, cameras are expensive as are Apple TVs and add the word HomeKit and you double the price as well.
In my eyes that will be the main hurdle. .

Don’t get me wrong, I love your idea and hope it will come in this century.
But none of my friends are even using Siri and look to me like I’m a weird guy when I even as much as set the alarm with a voice command.
They are the least expected kind of people to use this kind of tech. Which is a shame, because ignorance is not a bliss.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Don’t get me wrong, I love your idea and hope it will come in this century.
But none of my friends are even using Siri and look to me like I’m a weird guy when I even as much as set the alarm with a voice command.
They are the least expected kind of people to use this kind of tech. Which is a shame, because ignorance is not a bliss.

Yeah I do love those ‘why are you talking to your phone’ looks.

I’m fortunate in that I work in an environment where security is discussed a lot so most of my friends have some kind of home security system