Home Button Issues

dylandcor

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
I am experiencing the home button problems with my 32GB iPhone 4 as described in a post by Georgia in early January.

I have extended AppleCare, so I am still under warranty. I'm thinking about going into an Apple Store to see if I can get a replacement phone. Since they are going to discontinue selling the 32GB iPhone 4, would it be a poor decision to wait to see if iOS 5 fixes the problem before heading to the Apple Store? I just don't want to go to the Apple Store and not be able to get a replacement because they aren't selling the 32GB anymore, and they are only selling the 8GB.

Thanks!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They will have replacements in the form of factory refurbished units for quite a while. And since the iPhone 4S has not been released for sale yet, it shouldn't be a problem getting it fixed/replaced.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
been experiencing some home button issues as well, was debating if I should just get a replacement now before iOS 5 drops next week or wait to see if iOS 5 fixes the issue. I really don't want a refurbished iPhone 4 if I don't have to get one, guess I'll play the waiting game

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Generally speaking, I think you'll find that most home button issues are hardware related, and that perceived improvements after software updates are usually more of a placebo effect than real improvements. In other words, it's unlikely that iOS 5 will fix a flaky home button.

Unless you're jailbroken and not wanting to update your iOS, I don't see a downside to going in for a replacement. Bear in mind too that Apple stores are going to be hopping before long, so you might want to get it out of the way before the crush comes.

zackawee27

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, I think you'll find that most home button issues are hardware related, and that perceived improvements after software updates are usually more of a placebo effect than real improvements. In other words, it's unlikely that iOS 5 will fix a flaky home button.

Unless you're jailbroken and not wanting to update your iOS, I don't see a downside to going in for a replacement. Bear in mind too that Apple stores are going to be hopping before long, so you might want to get it out of the way before the crush comes.

You could just have Apple fix it :) or you can go to AT&T or Verizon if its under warranty. Good Luck

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
That happened to my wife. Just take it into apple and they should fix/replace it. I had a speaker problem and went in yesterday and they just replaced the whole phone. Apple will have the replacement phones for awhile after 4S comes out. (difference between replacement and refurbished is that the physical phone of the replacement has never been used. Just the insides have. An Apple employee told me this yesterday.)

kikideath

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The replacement you get from Apple is "certified like new", meaning it may have been made using recovered parts. The casing is always new and the phone undergoes an individual quality test rather than a batch one, so no worries there. Also, they will continue to have that model for years to come as a replacement. They can still replace the original iPhone and that's been out since 2007.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The replacement you get from Apple is "certified like new", meaning it may have been made using recovered parts. The casing is always new and the phone undergoes an individual quality test rather than a batch one, so no worries there. Also, they will continue to have that model for years to come as a replacement. They can still replace the original iPhone and that's been out since 2007.

Well said. Nothing wrong with refurbed.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
What are the home button issues people are experiencing? Is it only on phones that have alot of use. Or are newer Iphone4's having the problem too?

INDROIDWETRUST

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having home button issues. Sometimes when I press the home button to exit an app nothing happens. The app doesn't close and I have to push down on the home button several times to either exit an app or to return to the home screen. luckily I can replace this home button on my own. I will purchase a new home button. it's a hardware issue and not an os software problem.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Have you actually replaced a home button before? It's surprisingly complicated?you have to remove a lot of components before you can get to it.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the issues that I had with my home button are the same as the ones you are experiencing, but when I would tap the home button, sometimes it would work properly and go to the home screen, and other times it may do nothing, and the majority of the time, it would bring up the multi-tasking app list at the bottom. It was really annoying to have to press the home button 2-3 times in many cases just to get it to work properly.

I was skeptical that Apple would replace/repair my phone for this problem, and I never took it in until the microphone stopped working properly. I visited the Apple store and was surprised at how quickly they decided to just give me a new phone, and that was it. I was still under the 1 year warranty period but had no Applecare or insurance. They just replaced the phone and that was it. But then I was back in 2 weeks because the replacement phone just turned off one day by itself and became completely unresponsive, dead. They couldn't even get it to power on at the store, so they gave me ANOTHER new phone.

INDROIDWETRUST

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you actually replaced a home button before? It's surprisingly complicated?you have to remove a lot of components before you can get to it.

Yes I have and it is more tidious than the gsm model. More screws and placement parts are situated differently. I just replaced it today and purchased the home button cable strip for $12.00 at a local cell phone repair shop. Home button is now working well :)

cchs227

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem on my iPod Touch 4th generation! It drives me crazy! I have to press the top right corner of the home button to even get it to register! Sometimes double-clicking itself, rather than what was actually intended.:(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods