Holidays in calendar

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Is there an easy way (an application perhaps) to add US and major religious holidays to the iPhone calendar? Back in my Treo days I used an application called Holidates which would add them, does anybody know of a similar functionality for the iPhone? Thanks.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If you use a Mac computer you can add Holidays to your iCal and then sync with your iPhone. If you are on a Windows machine, someone else may be able to help you out.

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm syncing with google calendar via Nuevasync, so it would also work if there is a way to add the holidays to my main google calendar. I can add a new calendar but it doesn't get synced because it's not writable. But thanks for the thought...

EmEuS

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I used Outlook to do it. There are a couple ways. IF you have an exchange account set it up on your Iphone but only sync calenders.
to
Then in outlook:

Open Microsoft Outlook. From the Tool menu, select "Options."

Click on the "Preferences" tab. Look for the calendar section and from that section, click on the "Calendar Options" button.

Look for the middle section of the window which comes up for a button labeled "Add Holidays." Click on the button.

Choose your country from the list to add all the national holidays of your country to your Outlook calendar.

Put a check mark next to a religion on the list if you would also like to add religious holidays. You may add more than one religion and more than one country to display multiple sets of holidays on your calendar.

Click the "OK" button in the Holidays menu and then again in the Calendar Options window to apply your calendar updates.

Remove any holidays you do not wanted included in your Outlook calendar. Switch to the calendar view and then from the Tools menu select "Current View" and then "Events." Right-click on any holidays you do not want and click on "Delete." The holidays will no longer appear on your calendar.

****If you dont have an exchang account follow this****

Set up a dummy google account or use your existing. Then set up outlook with gmail and then your calenders.

Set holiday preferences in outlook as illustrated above.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustinHorn

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I just found a workaround to my problem. I guess subscribed calendars don't sync with MobileMe (I now add this to my wish list) so for static calendars like US Holidays, you just export them to your hard-drive than import them back into iCal. Then everything will sync up just fine. I'm sure you could do with this with calendars that change frequently, you'll just have to do the process more often.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm syncing with google calendar via Nuevasync, so it would also work if there is a way to add the holidays to my main google calendar. I can add a new calendar but it doesn't get synced because it's not writable. But thanks for the thought...

I sync the same way (GCal and nuevasync to iPhone), and the only way I've been able to get Holidays on is to add a Public Holiday Calendar within Google Calendars. Here's the guide to do it if you don't know how to:
How do I add public holidays to my Google Calendar? :: Free Tech Support from Ask Dave Taylor!

Now to get it on the iPhone, you gotta open each holiday event, click 'More actions...', then copy it to your main calendar, or copy it to a newly created calendar called Holidays or something similar. The iPhone will only sync the calendars you create, not public ones, so this works. This is done without using Outlook, it's all done within Google Calendar.

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I used Outlook to do it. There are a couple ways. IF you have an exchange account set it up on your Iphone but only sync calenders.
to
Then in outlook:

Open Microsoft Outlook. From the Tool menu, select "Options."

Click on the "Preferences" tab. Look for the calendar section and from that section, click on the "Calendar Options" button.

Look for the middle section of the window which comes up for a button labeled "Add Holidays." Click on the button.

I'm already using exchange for my mail, contacts, and cal so I just did the following and within 30 seconds my phone had all the holidays. I love the over the air sync'n

thanks for the tip

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I sync the same way (GCal and nuevasync to iPhone), and the only way I've been able to get Holidays on is to add a Public Holiday Calendar within Google Calendars. Here's the guide to do it if you don't know how to:
How do I add public holidays to my Google Calendar? :: Free Tech Support from Ask Dave Taylor!

Now to get it on the iPhone, you gotta open each holiday event, click 'More actions...', then copy it to your main calendar, or copy it to a newly created calendar called Holidays or something similar. The iPhone will only sync the calendars you create, not public ones, so this works. This is done without using Outlook, it's all done within Google Calendar.

Thanks. I was hoping there was an easier way, but I think this is the best bet.

Cal Al

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
US Holidays 2010-2012 added into the iPhone calendar with one tap

US Holidays 2010-2012 let's you add your holidays to your native iPhone Calendar. The holidays will appear as all-day events in the calendar of your choice, so you don't need to start an extra app when you want to schedule new appointments around these days. You also don't need subscriptions or internet access, because the holidays are added to the calendar database. Once added all holidays can be fully edited or deleted. And synced with Google Calendar, Outlook, etc.

In addition to the US holidays, this app also contains calendars of:
- Christian, Hindu, Islamic and Jewish festivals.
- Holidays and festivals of Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Italy, Korea, Japan, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

App store name: US Holidays 2010-2012
App store ID: 395135040#

Assaf#IM

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Application for adding holidays directly to the iPhone Calendar

Thanks. I was hoping there was an easier way, but I think this is the best bet.

You can search the appstore for :
Holiday Calendars +

It is very simple application, doing exactly what you were looking for

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen