High Sierra very SLOW on my iMac 27

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I just recently upgraded to High Sierra on my 2014 Retina iMac 27. I have 32 gigs of ram and a 1TB fusion drive currently installed on the machine.

I have noticed my Safari and Chrome internet access has been slowed down considerably, on Sierra it would access the websites and refresh very quickly, now it sets there and takes forever the access the website.

I am also running office 365 and after the recent update Microsoft yesterday, the performance has been greatly improved from when I first tried it after upgrading. My Dr Webb anti virus software is no longer working the way it should, but I figure that is because of the new file system and should be fixed in a future update.

I have noticed other apps have been slowed down after the update and have scanned the forums and folks said give it a couple of days to finish indexing the new file system, but it’s been a week and still running slower then it should.

I am hoping the next major OS update from Apple with resolve this issue, but for now I am just going to have to live with it because I am not going through the hassle of going back to Sierra and having to wipe the system and restore from my time machine backup.

Oh well, I am hoping other folks out there are experiencing the same symptoms as I have and can offer some viable solutions. Until then it’s wait for the next major update for the Apple folks.

yonghome

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I too am experiencing slowness in my Mac since recent upgrade to High Sierra, in particular printing has become an almost impossible task. I am using a late 2009 iMac27.

I have been using a Brother MFC-L27400W printer, and printer has been working with no issues until the recent OS upgrade. Now, printing a one page document takes about 5-15 minutes to complete. Think I have 3 options here:
1. Downgrade back to Mac OS Sierra
2. Buy a new Mac (performance issue could be due to my current Mac being an old model)
3. Wait to Apple for OS update

What is your view/advice on this?
Thx

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I too am experiencing slowness in my Mac since recent upgrade to High Sierra, in particular printing has become an almost impossible task. I am using a late 2009 iMac27.

I have been using a Brother MFC-L27400W printer, and printer has been working with no issues until the recent OS upgrade. Now, printing a one page document takes about 5-15 minutes to complete. Think I have 3 options here:
1. Downgrade back to Mac OS Sierra
2. Buy a new Mac (performance issue could be due to my current Mac being an old model)
3. Wait to Apple for OS update

What is your view/advice on this?
Thx

Option 1 & 2 are the logical choices, in my opinion. Your device is 9 years old, and at some point, will be obsolete.