Hey VZ iphone users!!!

dvigue

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Have any of you noticed any degrade in battery life since it is a CDMA phone?

also, can you shut off 3g, like the ATT version?

thanks

ajw2495

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Haven't really noticed bad battery life...

Settings>general>network>shut off cellular data. But that shuts 3G and edge or w.e is called on Verizon. Wifi would still work

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You cannot disable only 3G like the GSM iPhone. If you turn off data it's all data. Don't know why.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You cannot disable only 3G like the GSM iPhone. If you turn off data it's all data. Don't know why.

I believe it's an option on the GSM/UMTS version because 3G is a battery hog compared to EDGE. Also, if you're in an area without 3G, turning off 3G will prevent the phone from constantly searching for 3G (similar to turning wifi off when you're not going to be near a hotspot).

With Verizon, their 2G (1X) and 3G (EVDO) network drain the battery at similar rates. Plus, your Verizon phone always connects first to 1X, which serves as the authentication service for 3G (meaning you need 1X to get onto EVDO). If you're in an area lacking 3G, the 1X network will essentially say there is no 3G and therefore will not drain your battery.

lmac4cy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I love the battery life of my Iphone. I use it pretty heavily on a daily basis from the time it is unplugged, 7:00 am, to plug in, 10:00 pm, and I am usually at 40-50% battery. That is amazing. My BB Curve would have needed charged by that time.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I believe it's an option on the GSM/UMTS version because 3G is a battery hog compared to EDGE. Also, if you're in an area without 3G, turning off 3G will prevent the phone from constantly searching for 3G (similar to turning wifi off when you're not going to be near a hotspot).

With Verizon, their 2G (1X) and 3G (EVDO) network drain the battery at similar rates. Plus, your Verizon phone always connects first to 1X, which serves as the authentication service for 3G (meaning you need 1X to get onto EVDO). If you're in an area lacking 3G, the 1X network will essentially say there is no 3G and therefore will not drain your battery.

More reasons why CDMA is totally lame.

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Yah. Lame that GSM systems require the user to manually tell the phone to stop looking for 3G whereas on CDMA systems its all network controlled.

Enjoy your simultaneous voice and data, that is, where 3G is available (oh and make sure to have 3G on!), and we'll enjoy our good coverage, reliable data speeds, and inability to disconnect specific users on a conference call :)

Vorpal279

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't complain about the Battery life, however, for some reason the battery life decreases a lot when I turn the phone off and leave it off for a while.

nathan5a

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

To the quoted: Great statement! Why are you here if you are going to act like an a$$? It says Verizon on the forum and you obviously aren't! Or can't you read either? And you might want to stop believing that the number of posts you make with childish comments make you some sort of expert....

To the op: I heard horror stories of battery drain but to tell you the truth, I use this phone more than my Blackberry and the battery drain is about the same- after a full day, I am at about 40%. I'm happy with that!

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Battery life for me is about the same if not better than my 9650 was. As far as Att goes, I tried a IP4 and had nothing but "searching for signal" at my work. With my Verizon IP4 I have 4 to 5 bars at all times at work. I admit I cant talk and search the web at the same time on big red but then again I could do neither with ATT.

cp9102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
+1 for AWESOME Battery life. I've always been a CDMA user, previously 10+ years with Sprint so i cannot speak for how Battery life with a GSM device is, but my iPhone's battery is as good if not better than ANY previous phone i've ever owned.

cellphonejedi

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Once I finally decided to let the battery die and gave it a full charge. I noticed a huge difference in life. My wifi is connected as well as 3G and its been off the charger since 7am. Its now 1051am and my battery is 99%. With normal use, I will be about 77% by the time Im home tonight. Thats battery life I can live with.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone is great with the battery. I get a heavy day's use out of mine without a charge. It's actually a little better than my Droid X was.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods