Hey Siri not responding with cover closed: iPad Air 4, iOS 14.4

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
When I say "hey siri" there is no response when the cover is closed. It's a 3rd party cover, not the Apple Smart cover.

I have all the settings set correctly, including to have Siri respond when covered or closed. Spoke with Apple Support senior advisor who had me erase my iPad (3 times) and start fresh as all of my settings were correct. The only time Hey Siri gets a response is when the iPad is not covered. They gave me a case # and when I followed up, they said they still have not received a "response" on my case).

(Also have an iPad Pro 3 gen with the identical cover and no issues with siri).

I've only had this iPad since January, just before iOS 14.4 came out. The issue continues with iOS 14.4.

If this is an intentional thing, why have the setting to allow Hey Siri when covered/closed? Could it be hardware malfunction? Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, those who have the same model iPad and similar cover will respond soon. If I had a non-Apple cover for my iPad Pro, I’d try to recreate the issue, but unfortunately I do not.

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. If you remove your non Apple cover and put it face down, does it respond ( if you’ve ticked the setting in accessibility?)

Do you know why they made it so the Apple smart covers don’t respond, yet there is a setting?

( also, I had no idea you’d responded, saw by accident when trying to find notifications settings... is there a way to get notifications when someone responds? I’m new here - thanks)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
...( also, I had no idea you’d responded, saw by accident when trying to find notifications settings... is there a way to get notifications when someone responds? I’m new here - thanks)

Hello and welcome to iMore. We’re glad you found us! Here’s a visual how you can subscribe to a thread:

120D2A73-9F43-45AC-91D3-3E41412BE37E.jpeg

I use a 3rd party case with my iPad. I will play around with “Hey Siri” later today and report back.

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Here's why your iPad Air doesn't hear the "Hey Siri" keyword when the cover is closed. It's actually simple: your iPad Air no longer has a microphone connected at that time.
When you close your cover, it triggers the microphone hardware to physically disconnect from the device.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/security/secbbd20b00b/web

Ed7789 - thank you for your reply. I appreciate your time. This article you linked to me is spot on.

I contacted  Support after reading this article and they brought my case # up. After speaking with 2 different advisors, they confirmed to me that this is indeed intended behavior at the hardware level.

The only option to have Hey Siri work when covered on the newer iPads from 2020 on would be a case that doesn't trigger sleep/wake functions or to use an open case.

Thanks again, Ed7789! How do I mark your answer as "solved"?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
@cata nieves - My iPad is an AIR 2, and I've never really tried to use "Hey Siri" on it. When I did, it didn't work. Upon further research, my iPad has to be plugged in for Hey Siri to work.

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
@Annie_M - Thanks for checking and you're correct, iPad Air 2 has to be plugged in. My Air 4 shouldn't have to but @Ed7789 pointed me to an article:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/security/secbbd20b00b/web

which I confirmed with Apple regarding the iPad Air 4 - it's hardware in the 2020 models, so unless I find a cover that has no sleep/wake functionality, I will either have to leave the Air 4 open or put one of those open "frame" cases around it.

(I hope I tagged you correctly- new here- also is there a way to mark this question as solved?) Thanks

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
@Annie_M - Thanks for checking and you're correct, iPad Air 2 has to be plugged in. My Air 4 shouldn't have to but @Ed7789 pointed me to an article:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/security/secbbd20b00b/web

which I confirmed with Apple regarding the iPad Air 4 - it's hardware in the 2020 models, so unless I find a cover that has no sleep/wake functionality, I will either have to leave the Air 4 open or put one of those open "frame" cases around it.

(I hope I tagged you correctly- new here- also is there a way to mark this question as solved?) Thanks

You did tag me correctly. Another option is tapping on the quote icon at the bottom of a post! I tagged the answer by @Ed7789 as the best answer. Isn't that what you wanted? I believe that only Moderators can only tag answers! :)

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
@Annie_M Thanks- wasn't sure I tagged correctly. Also didn't realize you tagged @Ed7789 as best answer. New here- wasn't sure how it worked and yes, definitely wanted @Ed7789 tagged as best answer! Just learning how it all works here! thanks, all, again! Greatly appreciated.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
@Annie_M Thanks- wasn't sure I tagged correctly. Also didn't realize you tagged @Ed7789 as best answer. New here- wasn't sure how it worked and yes, definitely wanted @Ed7789 tagged as best answer! Just learning how it all works here! thanks, all, again! Greatly appreciated.

Welcome to iMore, and I'm happy that I could help shine a light on this new behaviour. :)

cata nieves

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
@Ed7789 thanks, this is a real nice site. And thanks again, you’ve really solved this dilemma for me.

I wanted to update this thread because something interesting happened.

Last week, my iPad case broke. It was under warranty and the company sent me a new one. I put my iPad in it, and didn’t give it another thought. Later in the day when I said “hey Siri“ thinking my other iPad would answer, my iPad Air 4 replied. I was stunned initially, and then I realized that apparently, there must’ve been some kind of defect in the original case that I purchased in the winter.

So, the iPad Air 4 respond to hey Siri with the case closed. It is the exact same case but it’s the replacement. I made the company aware of it. I do appreciate all the help you guys gave me months ago.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods