Help with Encrypt iPhone Backup Password

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I need quite a big help here.

So I always back up my iPhone 4 on my MBP and iMac at work. But then I realised that the Encrypt Password box was checked on iTunes. When I got my iPhone 5S space gray yesterday (finally! :), and tried to restore the backup of my iPhone 4 to it, Encrypt Password just won't let me restore my backup to my 5S. I have tried ALL the possible passwords I have, none of them worked. I also tried to enter ALL the possible lockcodes of my phones but still to no avail.

I have googled the problem and found that, the only way to know your password is thru Mac's Keychain app. I have used Keychain and searched for iPhone Backup but there were no results. As far as I could remember, I never entered a password for Encrypt Password Backup.

I'm running OS X 10.9 on both MBP and iMac which has backups of my iPhone 4 on it.

I can't find any application for Mac that would possibly bypass the encrypted password for the back up. It's really hard to transfer ALL your data/info on your old iPhone to a new one.

I'd appreciate all the help. Thank you.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, unfortunately your data is encrypted which means you need the password, not only that the mac keychain also encrypts it's data, you would need to have the encryption key for it in order to recover your data. IMO you are out of luck unless you can find a way to remember that password, I keep a file in Evernote & 1Password to ensure that I don't run into a similar problem in the future. Best of luck, I wish that I could be of more help.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi thejerryong

Try the administrator password for your Mac. If you haven't already. I've read that has worked for some users.

#Naked Tuesday

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Yea I kinda feel like I'm in no luck anymore. I just restored my iP4 on my MBP. I gave up already. Been trying to remember my password since yesterday.

I also tried to use my administrator password on both Macs but still it didn't work.

So in short, the only way to get my back up is to remember the password I used? LOL.

Thanks again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Yea I kinda feel like I'm in no luck anymore. I just restored my iP4 on my MBP. I gave up already. Been trying to remember my password since yesterday.

I also tried to use my administrator password on both Macs but still it didn't work.

So in short, the only way to get my back up is to remember the password I used? LOL.

Thanks again.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but it should comfort you to know that your encrypted backups are protected. I would still recommend that you continue to encrypt your backups and have your pass code stored via a password manager on your Mac or iPad, if applicable.

thejerryong

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It's okay. And thanks, I gave up trying to remember my password and just set up my 5S as a new phone. Good thing I got my contacts synced on iCloud.

Lesson learned.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR