Help - Where Do All my Photos Go?

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from a Pre to an iPhone 4S. I've never used iTunes before (I used to just drag and drop on the Pre). I have it syncing music and podcasts for me, and I have been able to get it to put photos on my phone from my computer, but when it syncs where do the pictures that I've taken with the phone go? I am using WiFi sync with the iPhone. I've been a computer teacher for over 20 years, but I've never used Apple anything until now, so iTunes has me confused.

Any help would be appreciated...

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You can access your camera roll with your pc like you would a flash drive. It shows up as a hard drive when you connect your phone. You don't do it through iTunes.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
or you can download a program calls Photosync from the App store (it also comes with a desktop companion program) that lets you wirelessly sync your photos from your phone to your computer.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't that what Photo Stream was supposed to do, though?

No, photo stream will "grab" your photos from your camera roll (the most recent 1000) and save them to the cloud(?) i believe. But you have to have a wifi connection for that to happen.

As of now, you cannot delete any photos from the photo stream either, but as you know, you can delete any photos out of the camera roll.

:eek: i get confused using some of the icloud stuff also, SO i just do things the 'old fashioned' way and just sync my phone once a week to itunes and do a back up. the only thing i have set up for the cloud is my contacts and calendar :)

Please someone correct me if i'm mistaken here:)

Reactions: jkeitz

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think I'm doing it the old fashioned way too. I just have iTunes doing a WiFi sync, but the pictures don't appear anywhere on my computer. If they are moving to the cloud, I would like to know how to get them back from the cloud to my PC.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think I'm doing it the old fashioned way too. I just have iTunes doing a WiFi sync, but the pictures don't appear anywhere on my computer. If they are moving to the cloud, I would like to know how to get them back from the cloud to my PC.

Yeah, you're better off just plugging the phone in, and xfering your pictures the way MasterofPuppets said.That is how I sync mine, and it's easy to do.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I think when you do a back up with itunes via usb to your iphone, i believe it also saves your pix from the camera roll. Dont quote me on that because im not 100% sure.

Now, MasterofPuppets mentioned being able to gain access thru your hard drive on the comp to see the pix on your iPhone. I use to do this with my bb, and i havent tried it with my iphone yet--its on my list of things to do.

What i believe you would do, is from your start up menu, go into 'computer' c drive. In there, you should be able to see other drives you have on your compt that can be access. Find the one for your iPhone and then from there you can navigate to the camera roll so you can right click and 'copy' to a folder you've created labeled "iphone pix"(perhaps) and then right click to 'paste' so they are copied into that folder.

Dont quote me on that either, as i havent done it with my iPhone YET, but it is how i navigated to do this with my blackberry pictures, so i would think doing for the iPhone would be basically the same route:)

Again, anyone, if i'm mistaken here, please correct me:)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think when you do a back up with itunes via usb to your iphone, i believe it also saves your pix from the camera roll. Dont quote me on that because im not 100% sure.

Now, MasterofPuppets mentioned being able to gain access thru your hard drive on the comp to see the pix on your iPhone. I use to do this with my bb, and i havent tried it with my iphone yet--its on my list of things to do.

What i believe you would do, is from your start up menu, go into 'computer' c drive. In there, you should be able to see other drives you have on your compt that can be access. Find the one for your iPhone and then from there you can navigate to the camera roll so you can right click and 'copy' to a folder you've created labeled "iphone pix"(perhaps) and then right click to 'paste' so they are copied into that folder.

Dont quote me on that either, as i havent done it with my iPhone YET, but it is how i navigated to do this with my blackberry pictures, so i would think doing for the iPhone would be basically the same route:)

Again, anyone, if i'm mistaken here, please correct me:)

When you backup your phone, it does save your photos, becuase if you delete your phone, and then restore from the backup, all of your photos will come back in your camera roll. But I still haven't found where they are in your computer, so it is just easier to to to my computer select your phone, and then move the photos to your photo library on your computer.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When you backup your phone, it does save your photos, becuase if you delete your phone, and then restore from the backup, all of your photos will come back in your camera roll. But I still haven't found where they are in your computer, so it is just easier to to to my computer select your phone, and then move the photos to your photo library on your computer.

ok, great, thanks for clarifying that E. I *thought* they would be in the backup, but i wasnt 100% sure. It makes sense that they would be there:)

Now as for selecting your phone and then moving the photos to the photo library, you do this when your usb'd correct?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
ok, great, thanks for clarifying that E. I *thought* they would be in the backup, but i wasnt 100% sure. It makes sense that they would be there:)

Now as for selecting your phone and then moving the photos to the photo library, you do this when your usb'd correct?

yeah, I just do it when I'm connected via USB. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, like the one Rockdog said, but I do it this way, because it just seems easier to do it.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to avoid using the sync cable, since it only came with one and I have that plugged in near my bed (I had hoped to use it as an alarm clock radio like I did with my Pre, but that hasn't worked either). I could buy another cable, but I think I'll just end up using the WiFi photo sync someone suggested above. I just didn't want to do something that iTunes was already doing.

ltjcrew06

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Apple support article HT4083 explains copying photos from your iOS device to the computer.
It does a pretty good job stepping you through for each type of computer.
Basically, connecting via usb and importing the photos.
I think syncing via itunes is to put photos back onto the ios device.

support.apple.com/kb/HT4083 Copying personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

ltjcrew06

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can connect your phone wireless using a adhoc network or bluetooth.
Then you can transfer the photos.

I'm not familiar with the photosync app, but I am assuming it provides a nice interface to do this.

I'm trying to avoid using the sync cable, since it only came with one and I have that plugged in near my bed (I had hoped to use it as an alarm clock radio like I did with my Pre, but that hasn't worked either). I could buy another cable, but I think I'll just end up using the WiFi photo sync someone suggested above. I just didn't want to do something that iTunes was already doing.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I just do it when I'm connected via USB. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, like the one Rockdog said, but I do it this way, because it just seems easier to do it.

:) ok,. thanks again E !!
Apple support article HT4083 explains copying photos from your iOS device to the computer.
It does a pretty good job stepping you through for each type of computer.
Basically, connecting via usb and importing the photos.
I think syncing via itunes is to put photos back onto the ios device.

support.apple.com/kb/HT4083 Copying personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

thx for this ltjcrew !! I just read through that little tutorial from the link you posted, and when i usb my iphone to WinXP, i get a box pop up asking me what action to take in regards to photos etc.--i usually X it out, lol. BUT next time i wont and i'll try this out to copy my pix from my camera roll to my comp this way to have a 'another' back up of them:)

vfrankli

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
There used to be an icon on my iPhone so I could show or view my photos. The icon is gone and the only way I can see the photos is to go to the iCloud. Where is the icon?

LittlePinkTink

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have tried to find my phone as a hard drive on my computer to view the photos and videos. But, I have the new windows program and everything is completely different. I can't find it at all as a hard drive. Do you have any suggestions?

uylalyn

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
just discovered this ... if you synced your iphone with your mac, go to "finder", then to "all my files." then to "images." all your pics will be there. hope this helps. :) :yes:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73