HELP! The display on my MacBook Pro is now green!

smhism

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an early 2011 MBPro 13". The battery died while I was at work, so when I got home I plugged it in, waited for the login screen to come up so I could do my usual facebook and browse before bed. Well, it came up fine, but as it was waking from its deep slumber, something happened, and the display became degraded and now there's a lovely green tint to everything. From what I found online in other venues, it's likely the gpu and logic board needs replacing. however, airplay mirroring via apple tv works perfectly. Anyone with any insight into this before I drive two hours to the nearest certified Mac dealer/repair? I've reinstalled Mavericks just in case and no change. I've also installed gfxstatus, an app that allows to differentiate which graphics processor is being used (integrated or discrete) and that changes nothing as well.

smhism

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was hoping for any other possibilities. It seems odd to me that a corrupted gpu wouldn't be able to display a 13" display correctly, but would display perfectly on a 26" tv... and if i have to replace the logic board, it might be worth it to go ahead and upgrade to a new mbp. there goes my tax refund....

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
IIRC, AirPlay uses technology on the Intel chip rather than the GPU in order to work. Assuming that's the case, it isn't entirely surprising you'd be able to AirPlay video mirror without issue while a local screen would look wonky.

smhism

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Peter! That actually makes sense (though I believe I read somewhere the reason older macbook/pros wouldn't work w/ airplay was due to their gpu not being up to par). I'll just have to take it in to the repair shop next chance I get, which will be in over a month...

smhism

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So a little update. I admitted defeat with trying to figure out what was going on with my MB Pro, and hadn't any plans to travel the hour and a half+ to take it to a repair place. So it sat on the floor beside my bed for about a month (I shared my bf's during the meantime, or used my Mini). Anyway, I started vacation, went to watch something on the apple tv, and figured instead of getting the mini out of the living room, I'd just fire up the Pro since airplay still worked. The battery was dead, of course, so I plugged in the charger, waited about a minute, and it came right on. AND IT WORKS! No more green tint to the screen. Images are just as clear as when I purchased it. I have no idea what was wrong with it, or why it's now working without issues, but it is!

tedgen87

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
So a little update. I admitted defeat with trying to figure out what was going on with my MB Pro, and hadn't any plans to travel the hour and a half+ to take it to a repair place. So it sat on the floor beside my bed for about a month (I shared my bf's during the meantime, or used my Mini). Anyway, I started vacation, went to watch something on the apple tv, and figured instead of getting the mini out of the living room, I'd just fire up the Pro since airplay still worked. The battery was dead, of course, so I plugged in the charger, waited about a minute, and it came right on. AND IT WORKS! No more green tint to the screen. Images are just as clear as when I purchased it. I have no idea what was wrong with it, or why it's now working without issues, but it is!

tedgen87

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello.. I know it's been a long while since you posted this, but did the green screen ever come back.?.. sounds like I have the same issue with my early 2011 Mbp.. it had a green tint to everything for a bout a few weeks.. then one day I recharged the battery and booted it up and it was perfect and has been for about a week or so.. any advice or insight would b greatly appreciated. Thank you

louisemcnulty8

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I was wondering do you still have any issues with yours? I got a green tint on my MacBook pro a couple of days ago after a while of being on it goes but it has come back. If you do have you brought it in for repair?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR