help resetting ipod touch.

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
I sold my ipod touch and did the option to delete content so I can get rid of my emails, photos and music. Thinking the software update for email, google maps, weather etc was in the Rom I thought no big deal . I was mortified when I saw the update gone. Anybody know how I can get this back on for the new owner? I feel horrible she still bought the ipod touch but I told her I would work on a fix.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Unfortunately, and moronically, I think the January Update is tied into your iTunes account, same as buying iTunes music or video.

You could try contacting Apple support, telling them you're selling the device, and asking if the January Update can be transfered.

However, I suspect whomever you sold it to will either have to, still moronically, buy it again under her own iTunes account, or you/she will have to consider Jailbreaking the iPod Touch and installing it that way.

(Apple, given their "interpretation" of SarbOx, really needs to switch iPod Touch to subscription based accounting like the iPhone and Apple TV, gives these updates for free, and flash them in along with the firmware.)

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
this is not good. I am going to have to give them 20.00 bucks back and I lose both ways. I emailed apple support to see what I can do but this is another reason to stay away from Apple products. Why does Apple lock things down so much? :confused:

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
got this back from Apple

I understand that you did a "content reset" on your iPod touch and in the process deleted the January Software Upgrade, so it is no longer available to the person you sold it to. I can certainly appreciate how upsetting this can be, and I will be happy to address this issue for you.

Matt, unfortunately there is no way to put this item back onto the iPod, since it was purchased by you to your account and contains your account's specific. In order for new owner of your iPod touch to have this software, she would need to have an iTunes Store account and purchase the upgrade and install it under her name.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, Matt. Thank you for contacting the Tuns Store.

Sincerely,

Rose
iTunes Store Customer Support

:thumbsdn:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
That's very disappointing. Apple really needs to change the way they handle the iPod Touch.

I've jailbroken my iPhone (not for that reason, because the iPhone already has those apps), but the process is incredibly easy now, and if you've paid for the content, morally you should get to use that content.

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
they just shot themselves in the foot this is why I won't buy apple again. Its all about the might dollar not service.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
No company is a single experience. Like anyone else, Apple makes some good choices and some mind-bogglingly stupid ones. However, they continually top the customer satisfaction charts for a reason; they usually make good ones.

Just avoid their mice and their non-subscription based mobile wifi platforms. Everything else is pretty much gold.

bomba

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
if you can find the newest version of the ipod firmwear (1.1.4 i believe) and download it. then put your ipod into recovery mode. to do this you will hold the sleep/wake and home button till the device tunrs off, and keep holding it till the device turns back on. let go of the sleep wake button but KEEP HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON. next conncec to you computer, go to itunes, go to the ipod and control click on restore (option/alt click for mac). this should bring up a window for you to select the firmwear you just downloaded and let it restore and you are done :)