Help me decide between two Macbook Airs...

Miss Daredevil

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys! I have been looking for the perfect Macbook Air and I have two final options... They are not brand new because of my budget, but look as if they are. I'll link you to their specifications and I hope you will have the time and the will to check them out and answer a few of my questions. I would really appreciate it since I don't know much about these things. :)

Sidenote: I would be using the Mac for browsing (all social networks, music, youtube, skype, movies, etc) and Photoshop occasionally. That's pretty much it.

Macbook Air 2015:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...book-air-core-i5-1.6-13-early-2015-specs.html

Macbook Air 2013:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...acbook-air-core-i5-1.3-13-mid-2013-specs.html

**both have 8GB of RAM**

1) The 2015 one is 100 dollars more expensive than the 2013 one. Do you think it's worth it paying more or not?
2) If I decide to get the 2013 one, how long could it potentially last before it becomes "outdated"?
3) I'm sure I had more questions, but I can't think of any at the moment. Thanks for helping me out! :)

Last edited:

hallux

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Your links didn't work but I think I was able to decipher them into what you're looking at.
2015 13" i5 1.6
2013 13" i5 1.3

The storage on the 2015 will be a little faster as it's PCIe 2.0 x4 vs. the PCIe 2.0 x2 on the 2013. I don't see Apple dropping OS update support for those for a while yet, the 2010 Pro is still getting High Sierra. Other than the storage and CPU speed, the video processor got a slight bump. There was likely an increase in battery life with the 2015 if it was a change in CPU family.

For your uses, either one is a good choice and likely won't "feel" outdated any time soon. I'd probably pop for the 2015 for the slightly longer expected hardware availability for repair and software support.

The only downside to these is the screen technology and resolution. I use a 2015 Air at work and have a 2012 Pro (non-retina but hi-res) at home and the screen on my Pro just looks so much better. I'm not saying they're horrible but if any part of the MacBook Air is "outdated" the screen is it.

Miss Daredevil

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up, I fixed the links!

And thank you for your answer, I figured as much. I know the screens are the weakest thing here, but I really don't need a Pro seeing as I'll only be using it for everyday Internet things. I also like how thin Air is! I guess that's 1:0 for 2015 Mac!

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
$100 for a better processor, faster storage, and a newer battery.

Seems reasonable to me.

In your place I'd pick the 2015. That said, I have a 2013 base configuration Air and it is still going fine. Battery at 94%, and a fresh install of Sierra and Windows 10 are working nicely.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
As a slight sidebar - noting you're considering 'not brand new' models, if the models you're looking at are at a 3rd Party retailer, I would also encourage you to look at the Special Deals section of Apple's online store. While 3rd Party providers can be fine, Apple's own site offers fully refurbed products at a discount, often eligible for AppleCare and free shipping.
The Special Deals section is hidden away by Apple, but well worth the explore. Stock changes fairly regularly.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Get a Surface Pro instead :D . . . No? Are you sure? I mean, they're awesome and...fiiiiiine. Crawling back to Windows Central.

No need to crawl, get up and RUN...LOL.
As said in an earlier post, for $100 more and also newer with better specs, I suggest going with the 2015 model.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey, guys! I have been looking for the perfect Macbook Air and I have two final options... They are not brand new because of my budget, but look as if they are. I'll link you to their specifications and I hope you will have the time and the will to check them out and answer a few of my questions. I would really appreciate it since I don't know much about these things. :)

Sidenote: I would be using the Mac for browsing (all social networks, music, youtube, skype, movies, etc) and Photoshop occasionally. That's pretty much it.

Macbook Air 2015:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...book-air-core-i5-1.6-13-early-2015-specs.html

Macbook Air 2013:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...acbook-air-core-i5-1.3-13-mid-2013-specs.html

**both have 8GB of RAM**

1) The 2015 one is 100 dollars more expensive than the 2013 one. Do you think it's worth it paying more or not?
2) If I decide to get the 2013 one, how long could it potentially last before it becomes "outdated"?
3) I'm sure I had more questions, but I can't think of any at the moment. Thanks for helping me out! :)

Get the newest model between the two.

aapierre

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask a question related to this topic?

I am looking at buying a Macbook Air and have seen a 2017 model and a 2018 and am not sure what difference there is.

Can anyone help me decide if there is a difference and if so what is it ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can I ask a question related to this topic?

I am looking at buying a Macbook Air and have seen a 2017 model and a 2018 and am not sure what difference there is.

Can anyone help me decide if there is a difference and if so what is it ?

One is newer than the other.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28