Help! Excess data usage

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has been mentioned but I couldn't find it.
My wife got an iPhone 4s a week ago and she hardly uses it except for checking work emails and texts. But she has received 2 warnings today and was charged for excess data usage. She got a warning at 65% at 7am and at 3pm she got another saying she is at 100%. She didn't use her phone except to check 2 texts.
I checked her phone and under data usage she has 2.3 gb sent and 84mb received. Icloud is set to wifi only.
Any ideas on what on the phone could be using so much data. Its her work phone and she has enterprise set up and the tangoe app. I don't want to reset her phone and mess up her work emails. But if that is the only fix I will.
Thanks for any help.
using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting something is sending or uploading in the background .. How's battery life is it dying fast ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes the battery barely lasts the day. Over the weekend it lasted 2 days. She didn't download anything
New. I made sure everything was closed by double clicking the home button.
Looking at our data usage online and it shows 820390kb used at 432am while we were asleep. She is going to check with her IT department tomorrow to see if her enterprise I doing something to her phone.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
A day is pretty normal for a 4s that is kind of strange is the data still going up ? Is the email account a exchange ?

iballs

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have problems with excess data usage since owning the iPhone 4s, I called o2 today and they said my phone is using data 24 hours most days, not sure how or on what, they just advised me to make sure all apps were closed after use.

I have onavo installed and this shows most of my data goes on video/photos, which god knows why as I don't download videos or pics, I think it's ios5.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i use exchange for work... i dont get ANYWHERE near that usage. When you are on wifi, it should NOT use any cellular data.

for fun.. at home, turn airplane mode on, then flip the wifi back on so its just using wifi. see if its still using cell data somehow.

then i would try restoring as new, then set up just her exchange and see if thats it. Turn iCloud OFF also.

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I will look for that app. I called at&t and they will credit me the overage charge.
I was looking her usage online and it looks like the phone messed up. I emailed pics from her phone to her email account on wifi and it may have sent it thru cellular data. I did it at home at about 9 pm
And she didn't leave for work til the next day at 7 am. So it should have been on wifi all night.
I will keep an eye on it for awhile.

dfine1966

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You do know there are reports that Suri is using too much data, and Apple is checking on the validity. Remember, Suri access the a server for everything.

Nchaka

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I figured it out. The emails I send from her phone went through. Then the phone was sending them again throughout the week. They were large files so instead of going through wifi at home they went over cell data. I caught afterhalf them were resent. I was able to cancel them.
Luckily at&t is going to work with us on the overages

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2