Hello - WP & Android Convert

dorelse

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Long story, short. I finally dropped the 'no apple' personal ban after years of frustrating experiences on Android, and a complete lack of faith in Windows Mobile continuing on. (Its pretty obvious the WinMo will re-emerge as full blown Win10 on small devices in its next iteration.)

Family has had iPhone's for the last 3-4 years, so I finally picked up a 7+ Jet Black 128GB version last week. Its been a pretty smooth transition honestly. I'm not really a guy that needs 100 apps, so that was never an issue on WM10 either. However, its nice to know they're always there if I need them.

My 'ahh' moment came last week as I was watching my son snowboard down Snowmass (from my office) while he live streamed it from his Go Pro on Periscope. That is something I wouldn't have seen on my WM10 phone.

So...anyway, yeah, its been an interesting run, but I'm here, definitely miss some interoperability, but I'll figure that out. (No bluetooth file transfer?)

Happy to be here, and looking forward to learning more as I get up to speed!

(Last Apple product I personally owed was a Powerbook G4, great machine, but yeah, its been a while!)

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dorelse,

Welcome to the darkside! lol I'm pretty much platform agnostic myself, or rather, I'm one who must have 1 of each! I just bought a Lumia 950 with Continuum dock, BUT I have a Mate 9 (Android) AND an iPhone 7 Plus. I'm also pretty heavily invested in the Apple camp, with a iPad Pro, MacBook, AND iMac 27 inch. I have a PC also. Yes I guess I'm kinda crazy like that. ;)

Anyways wanted to welcome you here, although it's likely you've seen me around at AC, WC, or CrackBerry! ;)

dorelse

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, it was time. (I have all 3 as well...HTC One (m9), Alcatal Idol 4S).

I grew tired of tweaking Android, and tired of several things on WM10, though I still really like the live tile interface...but, I was having some stability issues with WM10 (not the Idol 4S) so it couldn't be my daily driver any longer.

Thanks!!!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey @dorelse welcome! I remember you well from Windows Central!

How's the stability been for you? I remember being shocked that iOS seemed so stable in comparison to Windows 10 Mobile. Are you using any Microsoft apps?

dorelse

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey @dorelse welcome! I remember you well from Windows Central!

How's the stability been for you? I remember being shocked that iOS seemed so stable in comparison to Windows 10 Mobile. Are you using any Microsoft apps?

Hmm...so far pretty stable. I've had a couple of issues where the screen won't scroll. For example, in the App store...if I just searched for 'weather', the app list would lock up and I couldn't scroll up or down. (A reboot fixed that...but I did have that happen in Twitter as well.)

Otherwise...rock solid...and the camera works consistently as it should (which is why I left WM10)...I have a much more stable connection to data & cell towers, and when I don't have a cell connection, only wifi, the phone works flawlessly. Also something that didn't perform well on WM10.

It was just time! So far, honestly, loving the experience...should have switched when the 6 came out.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to this forum, I'm here not much for my devices but for the people and finding answers, so for sure you are in the right place to do the change more smoothly.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
As my good man pkcable said, Welcome to the Darkside! Glad to have you here with us!

My father recently purchased a iPhone SE. He used to own a Blackberry Bold from back in 2010 so its been a very long time. Im sure the app selection is even worse than Windows 10 Mobile. Having the Apps definitely makes the world of difference.

Hope you enjoy your new iPhone 7 Plus.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
As my good man pkcable said, Welcome to the Darkside! Glad to have you here with us!

My father recently purchased a iPhone SE. He used to own a Blackberry Bold from back in 2010 so its been a very long time. Im sure the app selection is even worse than Windows 10 Mobile. Having the Apps definitely makes the world of difference.

Hope you enjoy your new iPhone 7 Plus.

What I find interesting is how often you will find that the Apple app is better than the Android version, now this is not ALWAYS true, but often. Also I've found more times there is an Apple app but no Android App, OR the Android App comes later. Now of course once and a while an app is Android only also, BUT iOS only is more common in my experience, or as I said the Android folks have to wait for a port.

dorelse

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What I find interesting is how often you will find that the Apple app is better than the Android version, now this is not ALWAYS true, but often. Also I've found more times there is an Apple app but no Android App, OR the Android App comes later. Now of course once and a while an app is Android only also, BUT iOS only is more common in my experience, or as I said the Android folks have to wait for a port.

I expect that is the case, plus Android has how many versions & iterations out in the wild? Whether it works or not is always a crapshoot. So far so good. Got the 2 minute text message reminder turned off, and figured out how to move the cursor around by holding and moving...so 2 early complaints that I didn't 'get' initially are resolved. Pretty happy!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I recently picked up a 6S after many years with Android. Though, I have to admit Android is not entirely out since I still have and use a few devices regularly. Like you, most my family (including friends/co-workers) have iPhones as their device. The best thing for me has been the ability to converse in group chats with iMessage. Being the only Android users in most my group chats would ruin the experience and often times the conversation would lag. Although I believe part of that lag could be due to my carrier (Sprint).

Enjoy the site and don't hesitate to jump in if you have questions or would like to add to the discussion!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2