Headphones volume

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I recently upgraded from an iPhone 8 to a 12 mini. When I’m listening with headphones the volume gets turned down automatically. Is there a way to stop this? I use bone conducting headphones at work and when I am in the cooler I need the volume higher so I can hear over the fans. Any help would be appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings → Sounds & Haptics → Headphone Safety and then disable the toggle next to “Reduce Loud Sounds”, if enabled.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings → Sounds & Haptics → Headphone Safety and then disable the toggle next to “Reduce Loud Sounds”, if enabled.

Apparently from what I have read that setting is disabled and cannot be turned off for any phone that was installed fresh with iOS 14.x (as opposed to upgraded from an older version.)

That may be a regional thing, but I don't feel like trying out a fresh install myself to test it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
doogald;[URL="tel:3237873" said:
3237873[/URL]]Apparently from what I have read that setting is disabled and cannot be turned off for any phone that was installed fresh with iOS 14.x (as opposed to upgraded from an older version.)

That may be a regional thing, but I don't feel like trying out a fresh install myself to test it.

I installed a fresh copy of iOS 14.x on my iPhone 12 Pro and I can enable and disable the toggle at will.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The next recommendation is for you to to go Settings → General → Reset → Reset all Settings. Doing so will NOT erase your iPhone or remove any of your installed apps or files, but it will put all native settings to their default.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I installed a fresh copy of iOS 14.x on my iPhone 12 Pro and I can enable and disable the toggle at will.

Like I said, it may be a regional thing. I believe that people in the EU are having issues with this setting, and people in certain US states as well.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
doogald;[URL="tel:3237994" said:
3237994[/URL]]Like I said, it may be a regional thing. I believe that people in the EU are having issues with this setting, and people in certain US states as well.
Understood

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
iOS still lowers the volume regardless of me telling it not to by toggling that setting off. It's truly annoying.

Not sure if it's a bug or what but let me decide how loud I want my audio Apple.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you, you should be able to damage your hearing if you wish to. Your phone should drive your headphones as hard as you want them to, anything else is a nannying move too far !

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently upgraded from an iPhone 8 to a 12 mini. When I’m listening with headphones the volume gets turned down automatically. Is there a way to stop this? I use bone conducting headphones at work and when I am in the cooler I need the volume higher so I can hear over the fans. Any help would be appreciated.

Could it be connected with a function in the Health App. My impression was it's only a notification that could be enabled/disabled there but maybe there is more to it (?)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
We have iOS 14.4 coming out today; it may be worth checking if anything has changed (though it's not listed in the change notes.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
We have iOS 14.4 coming out today; it may be worth checking if anything has changed (though it's not listed in the change notes.)

Reportedly, if you go into Settings / Bluetooth, tap the "circle i" icon to the right, and change the device type to "speaker", it stops the phone from automatically reducing the volume. I'd be interested to know if anybody having this issue sees it fixed with the 14.4 update.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Reportedly, if you go into Settings / Bluetooth, tap the "circle i" icon to the right, and change the device type to "speaker", it stops the phone from automatically reducing the volume. I'd be interested to know if anybody having this issue sees it fixed with the 14.4 update.

I just saw this in a video about 14.4. I hope it works for people!

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site

It doesn’t give you the option to change it with AirPods but I did change the option on my sleep headband and my other Bluetooth headphones. Will let you know if it works