Has anyone w/a cellular Watch, but no add-on plan ever contact 9-1-1?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for first-hand knowledge, meaning you've directly experienced this, or can bear witness (as in no court hearsay exception).

Has anybody with a cellular Watch but no add-on plan contacted 9-1-1?

I am very aware of the FCC ruling on this. But I don't know that it apples to the Watch. People are quick to say it makes phone call so the ruling must apply. They can only conclude probability, but not confirm the ability.

There's maybe one article I've seen online where someone says they've contacted Apple and were able to call 9-1-1. I'm looking for an additional source to confirm that it's actually possible.

Conjecture, conclusion, interpretation, and the FCC regulation number are irrelevant. Not interested. They aren't the same as actual practice. "It's supposed to work" isn't enough.

I could buy a Watch with cellular and try it myself. But without knowing that it's possible, I wouldn't buy one in the first place.

I may have to just "admire" somebody's Watch and get them to let me try it on. "Oh, what's this do?"

If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Re: Apple Watch, Cellular, 9-1-1, but no Watch plan?

Years ago, you could have a mobile device, and be in a NO SERVICE area, and still phone 999/911.
Thus, I wonder if the same is true with the Apple Watch, with cellular, but not activated...

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm not going to call 911 on your behalf just to check this (I have a cellular watch that is not activated), but I can point to this Apple page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206983

Which says this:

In some countries and regions, international emergency calling works even if you haven't set up cellular service on the watch.

And there is a link or two to follow to find the list of countries which supports international emergency services, and USA is on the list: https://www.apple.com/watchos/feature-availability/#mn_p

Too bad you didn't ask this a week or so ago. My neighbor and I were talking in his driveway last week when he was stung by a yellow jacket. He is allergic to bee stings and ended up passing out even after taking an epipen shot, so I had to call 911. I used his home phone, but I could have at least tried my watch if I had known about this question. (He's fine, by the way. He came to just as the EMTs arrived and didn't even need any treatment.)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

Years ago, you could have a mobile device, and be in a NO SERVICE area, and still phone 999/911.
Thus, I wonder if the same is true with the Apple Watch, with cellular, but not activated...

Well, that is basically the question to which I alluded in my OP. The scenario is that you are in a service area, and have only your faithful companion Apple Watch Cellular who doesn't have a data plan. "Will it call for help" was the implication. I was hoping for actual experience as supposition is not helpful in the slightest.

It may be a bit pedantic of me, but if you're in a NO SERVICE area, you won't get 911/999 with activation.

All this is because I think it's near usury for telcos to charge $10-$15/mo plus taxes for this when they already have you by the curlies with a phone plan.

I'd like to see something definitive, preferably from Apple or any other unimpeachable or at least trusted source. There is no "it should". There is only "it will". (I hope.)

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site

Sorry I was of no help. Maybe post said question on Reddit and other Forums, too (if you haven't already).
Fingers crossed someone with actual experience can retort...

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to see something definitive, preferably from Apple or any other unimpeachable or at least trusted source. There is no "it should". There is only "it will". (I hope.)

Not quite sure why the link in my post wasn't enough then.

I did find a Reddit post from a few years ago that confirms that an emergency call works without a cellular plan activated on the watch: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/7ddfxi/update_apple_watch_series_3_lte_can_call/

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Not sure if this is covered in this thread (I am not about to re-read this thread).
But, maybe a phone call or chat, with Apple Support might present the answers, directly, too...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Ok. This is what I know so far regarding my watch. My cats were running around chasing each other, ran in front of me. I lost my balance and fell on my knees hitting my chest on my bed post. My watch alerted that I fell and asked if I needed help and it had call 911 as an option

If I are only wanting the watch to call 911 u are losing out on a great device. It does so much more

It’s also not smart to call 911 just to do a “check”. It’s emergency only!

Call Apple with your questions!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR