Has anyone received their Series 8 Watch yet?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone received their Series 8 Watch yet? Specifically, those of who you ordered the graphite stainless steel model. How dark is the graphite?

I went to a nearby Best Buy store to check it out, but I couldn’t really get a good look of its sides since the SA models were in the display case. They had the SS gold, silver and graphite side by side in the display case, however, because of the reflection of the case and ceiling lights, the graphite model appeared slightly darker than the silver.

I wished Apple had made a black SS model for the Series 8.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve preordered the Watch S8 Aluminum 45mm GPS+Cellular version through T-Mobile Netherlands. It’s expected in 4 to 6 weeks.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I had my Apple Watch 8 delivered Friday since I was off I don’t drive

my question is, should I charge the watch every night since the battery is new. I guess it doesn’t matter since batteries don’t have memory? IMG_3481.JPG

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I tend to use my belkin iphone/watch charger unless I’m on vacation then I use the magnet charger it came with. Does matter what I used to charge it. I’ve had the 5 for couple years and I want to maximize the battery longer on my 8. How do you charge it? (I didn’t know about the usage with in settings)

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I had my Apple Watch 8 delivered Friday since I was off I don’t drive

my question is, should I charge the watch every night since the battery is new. I guess it doesn’t matter since batteries don’t have memory? View attachment 132083

Rene Ritchie has an excellent video just released this weekend. The topic is IPhone/smartphone batteries but it is generally applicable to the Apple Watch. The gist of the video: for the most part don’t worry about the battery, the tech behind battery protection is now substantial (the battery doesn’t have memory but the code behind managing the battery does). One of my favorite lines (not sure if this is verbatim), people who don't charge their phones fully in order to protect their battery are ironically trying to save the battery from not being able to charge fully.

The bare essentials for lithium battery tech is keeping them from sitting in the hot sun, and not turned off at “zero percent” for extended periods. Beyond that charge it when needed. But if you want to optimize battery protection, be on a routine charge schedule. As mentioned the device learns your charging schedule and optimizes the charge process for maximized battery protection.

I’ve charged my watches every morning at shower-coffee time with that odd top off needed very occasionally. Imho a schedule is best….no running out of juice at in opportune times and no worries about the battery health. BOL

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I received an email from UPS saying I have a delivery tomorrow. I'm not expecting anything but my Ultra, so I hope that's it! On the other hand, I don't think I've ever gotten an Apple watch or iPhone prior to when Apple declares is the earliest delivery date.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I received an email from UPS saying I have a delivery tomorrow. I'm not expecting anything but my Ultra, so I hope that's it! On the other hand, I don't think I've ever gotten an Apple watch or iPhone prior to when Apple declares is the earliest delivery date.

That would be interesting. My Ultra slipped 5 days today from 29 to the 4th of October

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Let us know!!!!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I did get a UPS shipment from Apple today. It was the box for returning my iPhone 13. :laughing:

Oh - off topic, but were you unable to give your old iPhone to your friend? Wasn't that something that you were trying to do via the upgrade program - hand off your old phone to a friend and still get a new phone?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Oh - off topic, but were you unable to give your old iPhone to your friend? Wasn't that something that you were trying to do via the upgrade program - hand off your old phone to a friend and still get a new phone?

Thanks for asking. I did pay off my 13 Pro and will sell it to a friend. For more on adventures is getting simple answers to easy questions, see here: Question about selling an iPhone / Upgrade Program

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My Ultra arrived via UPS this morning. So far, so good. I've already done the update to Watch OS 9.01 and synced my Audible book so it will be ready for tomorrow's run. I did a quick check of the auto dive function in our pool. The instant you plunge it in the water, it reports the water temperature and watch depth, which is pretty cool. I'm still figuring out what the Action Button can do. What I'm hoping it will do is start and pause runs, something that is tricky when wearing gloves. I have read, but not yet tried, that it can start a run immediately, dispensing with the countdown. I know that is something doogald has wanted. Here a few unboxing pics:

ultra box.jpg

ultra 2..jpg

ultra 3.jpg

apple watch ultra.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I know that is something doogald has wanted.
View attachment 132096

Yep! Looking forward to it. I checked last night, my estimated delivery date range moved up quite a bit from Oct 24 - Nov1 to Oct 14 - Oct 21.

I would love to see the action button be a pause, but I read somewhere that you can pause by pressing any two of the hardware controls at the same time. On normal watches it is press the crown and the button at the same time, but now it's supposed press the two button at once, the action button and the crown at once, or the crown and the side button at once.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Yep! Looking forward to it. I checked last night, my estimated delivery date range moved up quite a bit from Oct 24 - Nov1 to Oct 14 - Oct 21.

I would love to see the action button be a pause, but I read somewhere that you can pause by pressing any two of the hardware controls at the same time. On normal watches it is press the crown and the button at the same time, but now it's supposed press the two button at once, the action button and the crown at once, or the crown and the side button at once.

You're right. The Action Button can start a run (without countdown!), but you have to press Action Button and Dock Button to pause. That seems a little awkward. Since I'm wearing Airpod Pros, it's easier to just tell Siri to pause/resume workout. So far, the Action Button is pretty limited, but I'm betting more options will come along.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I ordered the AWS8 41mm in silver stainless steel from Amazon today and it'll be here on Monday. Was going to get the Ultra but I tried it on yesterday at the Apple Store and it was comically large on my wrist.