Has anyone here reverted from an X to an 8-Plus for the size difference?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I like my iPhone X...I really do. The only problem I’ve had since day one last year, was the size. I had gotten so used to the size of my 7-plus, the X feels like an iPhone SE.

I’m not as impressed as I thought I’d be with the new Max...and going so far up in price for basically nothing but a bigger X bugs me.

Has anybody here gone DOWN from an X to an 8-Plus for the size difference? If so, what are your thoughts about going back to a home button, no gestures, and having those ugly bezels top & bottom?

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: iPhone X to iPhone 8+?

I like my iPhone X...I really do. The only problem I’ve had since day one last year, was the size. I had gotten so used to the size of my 7-plus, the X feels like an iPhone SE.

I’m not as impressed as I thought I’d be with the new Max...and going so far up in price for basically nothing but a bigger X bugs me.

Has anybody here gone DOWN from an X to an 8-Plus for the size difference? If so, what are your thoughts about going back to a home button, no gestures, and having those ugly bezels top & bottom?

Why wouldn't you go for the XR?

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: iPhone X to iPhone 8+?

Tried to get an 8+ today during Sam's club special but they had already sold out so I'm getting an Xr when they can activate it for me Monday. I was perfectly content going in for an 8 plus but I'm sure I will like the Xr too. If you have one close by they are doing a $300 gift card with an activation on Verizon and Sprint so once I sell my 6+ and cases i should be close to $200 out of pocket for a new Xr. If you have an X though I would probably stick with that. Sam's club said now that they are sold out of the 8/8+ they won't be getting anymore.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

There are a few people around the forums that went from the X to the 8 Plus. I honestly see nothing wrong with it, if that’s what works for you. The 8 Plus is a great device!! As far as the home button, gestures, & bezels are concerned, I wouldn’t worry about it much. I’ve always hated the home button, but one of my main devices up until last week was the 8...and I liked it. If you want it, go for it!!

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
One thing about the 8 plus and the reason I was perfectly fine with getting it before they sold out. It’s the exact same processor ram and everything as the X even clocked faster in some benchmarks than the X guessing it’s because it has less pixels to push. So your really not losing anything performance wise if you switch.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried the 8 Plus and the X and waited for the Max model. I got over the price. M y7 Plus is so fine that I would consider one of those over the 8 Plus if this is a budget issue or go all the way to the Max if this is about how much you can fit on the screen.

jb_ez86

May 20, 2018
Visit site
I have an iPhone 8 Plus and I prefer the iPhone X for the size. It’s all comes down to what comfortable for your daily use.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
We’re a year+ after the X with some important apps still not upgraded for the all-glass style phones. There’s a related problem where web sites are not responsive design or in some instances take you to an outdated mobile site. That’s my problem with the X phone.

The issue I describe is probably a nothing for most people. The posts on this site showing screen time support that. A lot of people use a few popular apps that are optimized for full screen. When I help my users or work with them at something and handle an X or XS I see the situations where it’s still not ready because of the content more than the phone.

As much as I really like the size of X and XS, the tool vs toy scenario makes a 7 Plus or XS Max my favorite phones.

One of my users balked at larger phones for a long time but he always had an extra battery case. His broke his phone recently so I said try a bigger phone for 10 days. Now he wonders why he had those bulky battery cases or carried one with him. The size of battery inside the phone is another important factor for many.

webmeister

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Interesting post. I just went from an iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB to an iPhone X silver 256 GB. I try to stay about a year behind the release of a new phone so I can pick up the crumbs when someone's new phone appetite has them munching on the latest and greatest. Now that the iPhone Xs has been released, I pounced! ;-) I love the form factor of this phone, and it strikes the right balance between size and screen real estate for me. The stainless steel band around the outside, the almost bezel-less panel and the glass back all scream premium to me. This is from an iPhone 7 Plus fanboy...I really like the metal chassis on those. I could probably afford an Xs Max but it just didn't speak to me, particularly in light of the fact that I thought that the iPhone 7 Plus form factor was at the maximum for comfortable handheld use for me.

Anyway, YMMV and all that, but I now understand what all the hype was about when the X launched a year ago. For me, it strikes the sweet spot for both form and functionality. And that display! Oh my.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not me. The X is as large a phone as I want. I’d prefer it more if it were the size of the 8 frankly.

If I wanted that sized phone now, though, I’d get an XR over an 8 plus. I’m all in on the Face ID design.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Not me. The X is as large a phone as I want. I’d prefer it more if it were the size of the 8 frankly.

If I wanted that sized phone now, though, I’d get an XR over an 8 plus. I’m all in on the Face ID design.

I feel similarly and I had a Xr for a bit too. I can't get over having the content of my notifications hidden but just nicely appearing once it scans my face.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel similarly and I had a Xr for a bit too. I can't get over having the content of my notifications hidden but just nicely appearing once it scans my face.

It can be changed in the notification settings to always instead of just unlocked. I've kinda gotten used to it in these few days that I've had my xr now though.
265cc5f90920e79c9fab0f1cc76c688e.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR